Artist proof confusion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite often an 'artist's proof' is simply an excuse to make recasts of something (example: the recent prevalence of AP SSW Balrogs on Ebay).

Besides, when you have an artist's proof there's no way to ever prove that it's real, is there?

Those Balrogs are from asian sellers were majority of recast
products come from. They mark them as A.P's so they get away
with having to number them.
If anyone is thinking of buying one 'DONT' their re casts.
On another note I have a few A.P's in my collection
and they are numbered.

Palisades is the worst at it. The GI Joe busts for example. If you own one theres about a 50/50 chance it's un-numbered or "AP".

3150brd.jpg

20p66pj.jpg

Last edited:
I have a POTC prop replica hand signed artist proof numbered 2of 4. I can't decifer the signature and can't find any info since MR is defunct.
I'm only bringing this up because I was trying to add it to my stash and was looking for info on the siggy.
After searching and searching I'm worried I may never find any info on it. :(
I love it and wouldn't sell it but I would like to at least know if its legit. It has the MR brown shipper, etc just no other info whatsoever other than its from a person in Walnut Creek (a friend if my mom's). :huh:

The sig looks like BB, or RB.

If there is an option for Artist Proof or Regular, I always go for the Artist Proof.
Most people just value those more. Just look at Sideshow, Pop Culture and Gentle Giant as an example. People go nuts for those anytime they are up for sale and often they sell for Way Over market value when they are sold.

every artist proof i have sold went for more money than a numbered version. to date i have sold 8 artist proofs. the last one i sold was a bowen ant-man deluxe signed on the bottom. i paid $300 and sold it for $850 shipped.

the major point is, while some collectors won't pay more for an artist proof, many more WILL pay a higher price. and as a seller, you really only need one of those people to purchase it.

Back