Premium Format Article: Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

:slap
Okay, once more, and I'm out of here. Those are rough work in progress pics.
Really? White eyes, and a slightly different curl of hair cuts it for a change of head?

That's it, I'm not coming back into this thread for awhile.

Cya :wave

:lol

Of course there are differences, its an evolution of the artwork by the artist. That has zero to do with anything SS will sculpt for a possible COH.

:slap
Okay, once more, and I'm out of here. Those are rough work in progress pics.
Really? White eyes, and a slightly different curl of hair cuts it for a change of head?

That's it, I'm not coming back into this thread for awhile.

Dude, It is a Dark Phoenix portrait.... What is your issue????

That Jean art looks great. I hope the PF turns out like that.

I'm sorry, I don't see this COH you see in these pieces of artwork. I don't doubt she'll have a different portrait, but I do not think white eyes is enough to say for sure either way.

You guys who disagree with this can be rude to me all you want, as you seem to have been to the other guy for stating his opinion, but I could care less.

Tabula Rasa has a point about the control art so far never mirroring an Ex, and frankly the hair should be much more different than that if there were to be two heads -which there probably will be-, but I'm surprised with all this talk about the pupils no one noticed she has her mouth open in one pic and her mouth shut in the other.

I wouldn't be surprise if this has light up feature...

I would.

I'm sorry, I don't see this COH you see in these pieces of artwork. I don't doubt she'll have a different portrait, but I do not think white eyes is enough to say for sure either way.

You guys who disagree with this can be rude to me all you want, as you seem to have been to the other guy for stating his opinion, but I could care less.

Someone else started getting getting snippy first, and THEN said something, well, if you claim to know a character, but forget one of the most important storylines in their history, well you you just sound ignorant and you have no right to get snippy. It is like looking at the Spiderman BIB Com and going "Since when did Spiderman EVER wear black".

As stated before every XMen PF has had a change of head. There are variations in the portraits that show differences that COULD hint at two different heads done on purpose in PS to show the differences in what the head sculpt could look like. Also, what other head sculpt would jump immediately to mind for Jean other then the Dark Phoenix??? Now could it have been unfinished artwork? Sure. However, it would have to be the hugest of coincidences that they picked those exact pics.

This is a discussion forum. No one was terribly rude. Tab stomped his feet, took his ball, and went home, and he did it all in like 1 page of discussion. His choice of course. However, as it was pointed out to me recently you should have a thicker skin when it comes to these things.

Will say it again Dark Phoenix! It makes sense.

Jean was never the Dark Phoenix.

A few notes...

1. The different Jean art is LABELED as work in progress.

2. Before the early 2000s, Jean Grey was never the Phoenix.

- Early 80s, Dark Phoenix Saga: Jean, going by the codename Phoenix, gets mind raped and transforms into Dark Phoenix, kills herself 2-3 issues later
- Late 80s, some issue of Fantastic Four: Jean is discovered alive (retcon). Turns out when she was near death after a mission, the Phoenix Force placed her in a cocoon to heal. It then masqueraded as Jean until it committed suicide.
- Jim Lee era/90s: Jean never was the Phoenix, but she did ditch the Jim Lee costume to wear the real Phoenix's Green version costume (which she had to sew up herself). But she still didn't have the Phoenix's power.
- It wasn't until the early 2000s that Jean really got the Phoenix powers, then Xorneto killed her.

So white eyes on 90s Jean Grey makes no sense since she had no direct Phoenix connection other than having the Phoenix use her identity at that point. A Dark Phoenix portrait on a Jim Lee Jean Grey is just inaccurate on every account. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get an alternate head though, even if it is an angry head.

Jean was never the Dark Phoenix.

A few notes...

1. The different Jean art is LABELED as work in progress.

2. Before the early 2000s, Jean Grey was never the Phoenix.

- Early 80s, Dark Phoenix Saga: Jean, going by the codename Phoenix, gets mind raped and transforms into Dark Phoenix, kills herself 2-3 issues later
- Late 80s, some issue of Fantastic Four: Jean is discovered alive (retcon). Turns out when she was near death after a mission, the Phoenix Force placed her in a cocoon to heal. It then masqueraded as Jean until it committed suicide.
- Jim Lee era/90s: Jean never was the Phoenix, but she did ditch the Jim Lee costume to wear the real Phoenix's Green version costume (which she had to sew up herself). But she still didn't have the Phoenix's power.
- It wasn't until the early 2000s that Jean really got the Phoenix powers, then Xorneto killed her.

So white eyes on 90s Jean Grey makes no sense since she had no direct Phoenix connection other than having the Phoenix use her identity at that point. A Dark Phoenix portrait on a Jim Lee Jean Grey is just inaccurate on every account. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get an alternate head though, even if it is an angry head.

Yep... You are right on all points, part of the reason why I chose a pic of Jean as the Phoenix, but it could just be work in progress stuff. However, if there is a change of head and the artwork is realitively correct the position of the right hand against her head locks the head direction a lot. So similar to other PFs the head may have an angry face switch out. Listen, I could be off on this ... However, it could just as easily be a little Easter Egg SSC threw into the announcement. This is just me speculating of course.

Not snippy, frustrated.

Why though?? It is just idol speculation, and while you may disagree with it is it REALLY worth getting frustrated with. I am trying to learn this lesson as well. So maybe it is time to realize that one of us is wrong, but it won't be a big deal either way.

Regardless of what they do, I hope there is a nice EX (not JUST the print). I would love there to be two different portraits and it would eve be cool if there was some kind of pink energy switch out hand like they did for Scarlet Witch and Gambit.

Regardless of what they do, I hope there is a nice EX (not JUST the print). I would love there to be two different portraits and it would eve be cool if there was some kind of pink energy switch out hand like they did for Scarlet Witch and Gambit.

Hmmm ... don't those energy trail hands have a tendancy to brake????

You know what the EX should be a switchout head with EXTRA GOOGALY EYE GOODNESS!!!

30079922441822382471658.jpg

I'm hoping for one or the other of these.

Yes, you are right.

Sorry, but your logic doesn't add up. Just because her eyes aren't detailed in the rough doesn't make it two different head sculpts. The rest looks the same. Why would they make two head sculpts and just make one with white eyes? Anyway, when are Jean's eyes ever white in the comics?
Besides, this is most likely the art for the print that will be coming with the Ex. They don't do art for both heads for that.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen the Ms. Marvel PF ex? I happen to own it. Two mostly identical heads, both with different eyes. Close to how Jean is portrayed in the art.

Back