Premium Format Article: Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Yes, you are right.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen the Ms. Marvel PF ex? I happen to own it. Two mostly identical heads, both with different eyes. Close to how Jean is portrayed in the art.

Wait, I'm sorry, Ms. Marvel's heads are not mostly identical. In fact, they are completely different. The hair style is totally different, the mask is totally different, the eyes are different (one has blue eyes with a thinner mask, while the other has a all white eye, thicker banded mask, even shaped differently). When placed on the body, they're also facing different directions. I would say the only similarity in them is the mouth.

Wait, I'm sorry, Ms. Marvel's heads are not mostly identical. In fact, they are completely different. The hair style is totally different, the mask is totally different, the eyes are different (one has blue eyes with an open mask, while the other has a all white eye mask, even shaped differently). When placed on the body, they're also facing different directions. I would say the only similarity in them is the mouth.

It's true, all of these things you stated are true. To me, still mostly identical. :rotfl

I mostly want to point out the fact that the art could indeed be indicative of a different head based on the eyes alone. I'm just much too lazy to type out as much as you guys do. Where the heck do you find the patience and time, I do not know.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen the Ms. Marvel PF ex? I happen to own it. Two mostly identical heads, both with different eyes. Close to how Jean is portrayed in the art.

Wait, I'm sorry, Ms. Marvel's heads are not mostly identical. In fact, they are completely different. The hair style is totally different, the mask is totally different, the eyes are different (one has blue eyes with a thinner mask, while the other has a all white eye, thicker banded mask, even shaped differently). When placed on the body, they're also facing different directions. I would say the only similarity in them is the mouth.

Terrible example indeed. :lol Now I'd kill to have an Ex head so she wouldn't feel so static.

I mostly want to point out the fact that the art could indeed be indicative of a different head based on the eyes alone.

Did anyone even read what I said about the mouth being different too?

It's true, all of these things you stated are true. To me, still mostly identical. :rotfl

I mostly want to point out the fact that the art could indeed be indicative of a different head based on the eyes alone. I'm just much too lazy to type out as much as you guys do. Where the heck do you find the patience and time, I do not know.

LOL, ok just wanted to make sure we were both looking at the same Ms. Marvel PF. I was thinking about that today, that most of the Marvel PFs that have come with COH have been very different looks. Psylocke, Rogue, Gambit, Cyclops, Spider Woman and Ms. Marvel all have very different looks. Sabretooth was fairly different, but to me that was the PF where the heads looked more similar. Not the same, just a different expression.

Personally, for Jean, I'd love to see two different faces and different hair. I don't know if I would ever display a Jean with all white eyes, because she was never portrayed that way in her Jim Lee incantation.

Terrible example indeed. :lol Now I'd kill to have an Ex head so she wouldn't feel so static.

Did anyone even read what I said about the mouth being different too?

Nope your are TOTALLY right about the mouth as well. It is going to be awhile before we know for sure.

The pics are labeled Work in Progress. Pupils or none, all 4 of those examples were WiP and not final. We see the open mouth, but as WiP it might have been changed at some point.

That could mean 2 things...they were WiP that eventually led to the final version with pupils...or they are WiP for 2 different heads.

If they are WiP for two different heads, there's still the issue of all white eyes on Jim Lee Jean being inaccurate (reiterate Jean and not the original Phoenix/Dark Phoenix who impersonated Jean). Ms. Marvel had a white eyes head because she appears like that in the comics. So does Storm (they actually did the pupil head wrong...in the 70/80s Storm always had cat eyes). That's not true for Jean. I'm sure someone could find a random Jean with white eyes pic on the net, but that wasn't the norm.

But if we get a white eyes EX head, as wrong as it will be, it's what we'll get if that's what they're doing and hopefully whatever we get sill look good anyway.

But no lights. :lecture

I very dislike lights on a statue. I never use them. Our batteries died in our Link statue ex where the eyes light up because we never turned them on. I don't even use the base light up feature with my Jessica Rabbit statue.

I very dislike lights on a statue. I never use them. Our batteries died in our Link statue ex where the eyes light up because we never turned them on. I don't even use the base light up feature with my Jessica Rabbit statue.

i understand that on certain (most) statutes that have light up features are probably not necessary, but don't you think certain ones like characters in the star wars universe for example that use lightsabers, don't you think those statues actually gain in something with light up features. it adds an extra dimension to those statues.

i understand that on certain (most) statutes that have light up features are probably not necessary, but don't you think certain ones like characters in the star wars universe for example that use lightsabers, don't you think those statues actually gain in something with light up features. it adds an extra dimension to those statues.

As long as its done well and doesn't look like an after thought or some cheap department store light up toy.

As long as its done well and doesn't look like an after thought or some cheap department store light up toy.

Exactly. A light up feature can make or break an item. It has to be done perfectly and in most cases, it just is not. That's not to say a Star Wars piece with a light saber isn't deserving of a light up feature. I mean to say that it has to be done swimmingly.

Exactly. A light up feature can make or break an item. It has to be done perfectly and in most cases, it just is not. That's not to say a Star Wars piece with a light saber isn't deserving of a light up feature. I mean to say that it has to be done swimmingly.

I like light up features used properly...lightsaber lightups are a must if you ask me. also, any newer ironman without lightups is a fail IMO. Cyclops PF is pretty awesome with the lightup eyes and if superman pf has red lightup eyes, that would also be epic. in this specific case, i can do without.

The only light up piece that I find that's truly deserving is the X-Men VS Sentinel Dio 1 EX. Just marvelous...

x-menvssentinel6.jpg

Once again. No lights for Red. :lecture

Wow I didn't know the Sentinel diorama had light up... Now I want it even more :)

Wow I didn't know the Sentinel diorama had light up... Now I want it even more :)

only the EX. does, and you'll need somewhere's around $1500 clams to get that one, and then some of them have lights that don't work all the time. Though usually that's cause of bad connnections and is usually fixable.

Back