Premium Format Article: Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The costumes are very similar, but Colossus PF is in the Jim Lee version costume, not the classic Dave Cockrum version. Wrist bands vs Gauntlets, circle buckle vs square X buckle, Yellow tip boots vs all red boots are the differences.

Yup, I'm a geek.

Google is the geek. You just had some time to kill :lol

Google is the geek. You just had some time to kill :lol

I am a true Marvellite! I shall not be questioned!

But seriously I just read the comics. I've been reading since 1991 (so you are right JediSword) then I went back and read the stuff that was out before I was born, like Dark Phoenix Saga is my favorite X-Men story... Anything from Giant Size X-Men #1 to Days of Future Past is excellent (which is why I'd like a Classic Colossus PF). No Google, I just enjoy it enough to know it.

Plus I love art, so if something changes artistically like a costume, even a small change like removing the yellow from Colossus' boots and changing his belt, I will notice. What I've noticed is most people in life can't pay attention to details of any kind.

But for Marvel stuff, I'm a true geek. Stuff like putting the old Hulk PF with Classic Iron Man and Cap and Thor PFs is a huge no no because historically that was NEVER a team in the comics... Hulk quit before Cap ever joined and before Iron Man had that armor. Despite SS's pic on the site, Storm PF in her 70s costume doesn't go with the Black Panther PF because he's in his late 90s Marvel Knights costume. Why are the Gambit PF's chest plate and boots silver and not blue? Cyclops was given a jacket, something he might have had in 1 or 2 pinup pieces, when they could have just done the belt/harness in cloth (like Batman, new Cap or Deadpool)... And speaking of Deadpool, that PF is smaller than 1/4. Placed between my Psylocke and Punisher he's considerably shorter than he should be compared to them. I could keep going but that's enough... If I would've thought of it 1st I should have made my name Comicbookguy (no offense CBG!)

The costumes are very similar, but Colossus PF is in the Jim Lee version costume, not the classic Dave Cockrum version. Wrist bands vs Gauntlets, circle buckle vs square X buckle, Yellow tip boots vs all red boots are the differences.

Yup, I'm a geek.

You are also 100% correct. You can't substitute the Lee Colossus PF in a Byrne line up. Even if I could, I wouldn't. He's too skinny and that god awful cloth costume make the piece an instant pass on all levels for me.

Colossus and Storm fit right in Byrne era. Upcomming Brown Wolverine will too.

View attachment 105296

Have to say I by far prefer The Jim Lee era and even the modern (pre Marvel Now) era.

The only existing X-MEN PFs that work in the classic Byrne line up is Storm. Do I buy her and hope that SSC releases a Byrne styled Phoenix, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Cyclops PFs? No thanks. SSC already got me with the COM line. No, Emma, Wolverine, or Cyclops in that line. SSC kicked the X-MEN COMs to the curb. I'm sorry I picked up any of those pieces since I have no way to complete the line. Sold off all of them except one. I won't allow that to happen to me again. I want all 6 main characters from the Byrne era ( Cyclops, Wolverine, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Storm). If I can't have all, I'll pass on the oddball pieces they release. The ONLY exception to my rule will be Phoenix. If SSC releases an AWESOME Phoenix PF, I'm getting it. However, if it looks as lackluster as the Jean Grey PF, I'll pass on that as well.

Sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid or greedy but... I see a lot of people saying they will get the EX but are not interested in the EX head whatsoever. Any chance someone is willing to sell the EX head ? I am thinking on getting the regular in a local store (it's easier/cheaper than buying the EX from SS and paying killer shipping and import fees cause SS only ships via courier) and maybe buy the EX head afterwards from someone who doesn't want it cause I do like it A LOT ! If any of you were to sell the EX head, how much would it go for ? I'm not sure if anyone would be up to it but it's worth asking anyway... if I buy the EX straight from SS I might end up paying almost 700USD overall. Just because of a head with ponytails :(

I really enjoy reading the "What If" portions of these Threads, that said, I always say collect what makes you Happy not Crazy, unless you need to make Specific Teams and there are so many variants to them unless you want to build a certain Team then there's the Blue Team: Cyclops, Beast, Wolverine, Rogue, Psylocke, Jubilee and Gambit or the Gold Team: Storm, Jean Grey, Iceman, Archangel, Colossus and Bishop, as you might guess there are countless variations of Teams and I didn't even mention X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force or X-Factor.

I think what I am trying to state is they are all pretty much interchangeable at one point in time or another, just don't drive yourselves nuts but since we are going nuts, let's see some PF's treatment done to these characters and out of the over 120 different mutants these are just some of my Fav's

Phoenix
Magneto
Mr.Sinister
Omega Red
X-23
Beast/Modern
Cyclops/Modern
Juggernaut
Wolverine/Yeah I know
Storm/X-Base
Cable
Bishop
Domino
Emma Frost
Fantomex
Magik
Mystique
Jubilee
Kitty Pride
Warpath
and give us a Sentinel

Be Cool
Al

The X Men change outfits all the time. Thats one of the things I like about them. I think to many comics don't change outfits ie DC

I am a true Marvellite! I shall not be questioned!

But seriously I just read the comics. I've been reading since 1991 (so you are right JediSword) then I went back and read the stuff that was out before I was born, like Dark Phoenix Saga is my favorite X-Men story... Anything from Giant Size X-Men #1 to Days of Future Past is excellent (which is why I'd like a Classic Colossus PF). No Google, I just enjoy it enough to know it.

Plus I love art, so if something changes artistically like a costume, even a small change like removing the yellow from Colossus' boots and changing his belt, I will notice. What I've noticed is most people in life can't pay attention to details of any kind.

But for Marvel stuff, I'm a true geek. Stuff like putting the old Hulk PF with Classic Iron Man and Cap and Thor PFs is a huge no no because historically that was NEVER a team in the comics... Hulk quit before Cap ever joined and before Iron Man had that armor. Despite SS's pic on the site, Storm PF in her 70s costume doesn't go with the Black Panther PF because he's in his late 90s Marvel Knights costume. Why are the Gambit PF's chest plate and boots silver and not blue? Cyclops was given a jacket, something he might have had in 1 or 2 pinup pieces, when they could have just done the belt/harness in cloth (like Batman, new Cap or Deadpool)... And speaking of Deadpool, that PF is smaller than 1/4. Placed between my Psylocke and Punisher he's considerably shorter than he should be compared to them. I could keep going but that's enough... If I would've thought of it 1st I should have made my name Comicbookguy (no offense CBG!)

You've been reading as long as I've been alive! :thud: haha

And I would be down for the Age of Apocalypse Colossus! So cool. Him or warpath are probably my favorite xmen.

I really enjoy reading the "What If" portions of these Threads, that said, I always say collect what makes you Happy not Crazy, unless you need to make Specific Teams and there are so many variants to them unless you want to build a certain Team then there's the Blue Team: Cyclops, Beast, Wolverine, Rogue, Psylocke, Jubilee and Gambit or the Gold Team: Storm, Jean Grey, Iceman, Archangel, Colossus and Bishop, as you might guess there are countless variations of Teams and I didn't even mention X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force or X-Factor.

I think what I am trying to state is they are all pretty much interchangeable at one point in time or another, just don't drive yourselves nuts but since we are going nuts, let's see some PF's treatment done to these characters and out of the over 120 different mutants these are just some of my Fav's

Phoenix
Magneto
Mr.Sinister
Omega Red
X-23
Beast/Modern
Cyclops/Modern
Juggernaut
Wolverine/Yeah I know
Storm/X-Base
Cable
Bishop
Domino
Emma Frost
Fantomex
Magik
Mystique
Jubilee
Kitty Pride
Warpath
and give us a Sentinel

Be Cool
Al

And that al is the perfect list of what needs to be done by sideshow :) only one I would add is arch angel

And that al is the perfect list of what needs to be done by sideshow :) only one I would add is arch angel

Thanks Anthony, I couldn't choose which one I preferred Angel/Arch Angel, either one is a must have for any X-Men Collection, I would add one more Iceman but the he's been done in 1/5 scale Comiquette but that's up to your scale preferences :lol:lol:lol

Al

Thanks Anthony, I couldn't choose which one I preferred Angel/Arch Angel, either one is a must have for any X-Men Collection, I would add one more Iceman but the he's been done in 1/5 scale Comiquette but that's up to your scale preferences :lol:lol:lol

Al

Yeah would really like an iceman 1/4 I wonder what's next after jim lee range ?

Yeah would really like an iceman 1/4 I wonder what's next after jim lee range ?

Man that's a Great Question wish I knew, there are so many Top Illustrators out there whose Artwork is unbelievable but I can venture a guess it won't be Rob Liefeld :lol:lol:lol

Al

Last edited:
Man that's a Great Question wish I knew, there are so many Top Illustrators out there whose Artwork is unbelievable and would make a Great Basis for a Figure but I can venture a guess it won't be Rob Liefeld :lol:lol:lol

Al
Lol
Next your going to say Steve Dillon and all characters will look the same lol

The only existing X-MEN PFs that work in the classic Byrne line up is Storm. Do I buy her and hope that SSC releases a Byrne styled Phoenix, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Cyclops PFs? No thanks. SSC already got me with the COM line. No, Emma, Wolverine, or Cyclops in that line. SSC kicked the X-MEN COMs to the curb. I'm sorry I picked up any of those pieces since I have no way to complete the line. Sold off all of them except one. I won't allow that to happen to me again. I want all 6 main characters from the Byrne era ( Cyclops, Wolverine, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Storm). If I can't have all, I'll pass on the oddball pieces they release. The ONLY exception to my rule will be Phoenix. If SSC releases an AWESOME Phoenix PF, I'm getting it. However, if it looks as lackluster as the Jean Grey PF, I'll pass on that as well.

What about the Wolverine PF? That's the costume he was in during that time so I think it works for the Byrne line up. By the time a Phoenix comes out I'll be even happier I have Wolverine and Storm. I think Nightcrawler in the classic costume is likely at some point as well. That leaves 2 I think are unlikely: Cockrum/Byrne costume PFs of Cyclops and Colossus If they end up the only 2 missing I'll still be glad with the 4 but who knows? It could happen down the line.

SS runs a long term game so the only problem is if down the line they release what we want you'll have already missed some integral parts of that classic group but I see what you're saying.

But I think that's exactly it... With Wolverine, followed by Gambit and Cyclops, and made evident by the time Rogue and Psylocke came along, it was clear SS is focusing on that specific team, and in an Ask SS when questioned about it they said as much. Excluding the old Emma Frost PF which I believe predates these 90s PFs, and Storm, all of the other X-Men PFs are in 90s costumes. Even Sabretooth. SS set the expectation for completing this particular roster... I believe the exact words in that Ask SS were "we're pretty dedicated". Otherwise, there were arguably better costume choices for all of these characters from different eras, even if the better option isn't the popular option (Cyclops' modern costume, Rogue's green and white, Phoenix, Gambit in the all Black costume). It probably would have been better if they released them in costumes from different eras and you could mix and match.

But like I mentioned before the X-Men PFs are the only set of PFs where there's a focus on doing costumes all from the same era and despite Storm it seems that's SS's intention. In contrast, The Avengers are all over the place which is actually a benefit. The expectations for completing a set aren't there like they are for X-Men.

What about the Wolverine PF? That's the costume he was in during that time so I think it works for the Byrne line up. By the time a Phoenix comes out I'll be even happier I have Wolverine and Storm. I think Nightcrawler in the classic costume is likely at some point as well. That leaves 2 I think are unlikely: Cockrum/Byrne costume PFs of Cyclops and Colossus If they end up the only 2 missing I'll still be glad with the 4 but who knows? It could happen down the line.

SS runs a long term game so the only problem is if down the line they release what we want you'll have already missed some integral parts of that classic group but I see what you're saying.

But I think that's exactly it... With Wolverine, followed by Gambit and Cyclops, and made evident by the time Rogue and Psylocke came along, it was clear SS is focusing on that specific team, and in an Ask SS when questioned about it they said as much. Excluding the old Emma Frost PF which I believe predates these 90s PFs, and Storm, all of the other X-Men PFs are in 90s costumes. Even Sabretooth. SS set the expectation for completing this particular roster... I believe the exact words in that Ask SS were "we're pretty dedicated". Otherwise, there were arguably better costume choices for all of these characters from different eras, even if the better option isn't the popular option (Cyclops' modern costume, Rogue's green and white, Phoenix, Gambit in the all Black costume). It probably would have been better if they released them in costumes from different eras and you could mix and match.

But like I mentioned before the X-Men PFs are the only set of PFs where there's a focus on doing costumes all from the same era and despite Storm it seems that's SS's intention. In contrast, The Avengers are all over the place which is actually a benefit. The expectations for completing a set aren't there like they are for X-Men.

Completely agree I think it's great that by the end we will have a set of a team in the correct costumes

There's something special when the correct costume characters are matched up

Problem is there's so many I want including an x-force team lol

I'm at least happy they're still making X bases as I think it also affects the price making it $40 cheaper that the more elaborate DC characters bases. Beast would be the one I'd want next but I love Nightcrawler. Can someone post a pic of the 1:5 com next to to like Storm or Cyclops? He's a little smaller anyway so I'm thinking he will look kind of in scale. And that Nightcrawler looks like a nice piece but I've never seen it in person

Lol
Next your going to say Steve Dillon and all characters will look the same lol

No not Dillion, I happen to like some of his work like Wolverine Origins, Punisher, Hellblazer and Preacher and plus he's a Brit :wink1:

Man, I like the way you think my Friend, that said, from what I am seeing with the X-Men PF's, they are basing there characters on the late 80's & 90's like you stated, I feel that it will be sometime before we see any Modern X-Men in a PF, unless and it is a Big Unless the X-Men Days of Future Past Movie does really good and SSC picks up the license and we see Maquette's from the Movie and then that opens a whole New Debate as to what characters could possibly be offered to us and I would venture a guess Wolverine, Magneto :pray:, Mystique, The Proffessor :pray: and of course Colossus :pray::lol:lol:lol and yes I know that they would not match the Comic X-Men but could be used in ones X-Men Collection and after making that comment I have another feeling Hot Toys might start that line, which is fine but I would prefer a Maquette

Completely agree I think it's great that by the end we will have a set of a team in the correct costumes

There's something special when the correct costume characters are matched up

Problem is there's so many I want including an x-force team lol

:goodpost: Anthony and there's no problem wanting a X-Force Team and this is the Team I would want

I'm at least happy they're still making X bases as I think it also affects the price making it $40 cheaper that the more elaborate DC characters bases. Beast would be the one I'd want next but I love Nightcrawler. Can someone post a pic of the 1:5 com next to to like Storm or Cyclops? He's a little smaller anyway so I'm thinking he will look kind of in scale. And that Nightcrawler looks like a nice piece but I've never seen it in person

I agree, Beast and Nightcrawler is long over due for the PF Treatment and a must have for one X-Men Collection, here a pic of Beast with my X-Men, as you can tell he does fit in well and IMO looks good next to Cyclops

Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

I cannot wait for a Cable. I'd love to see a Bishop and maybe even a Sentinel maquette. I don't have a single Xman yet. Wanted Jean but disappointed. I'd love to see someone new. NC would be amazing in mixed media. Of course I'd love some others but they've been said for the most part

Sent from the **** Pit of the Millenium Falcon

Back