Are your Weta pieces still precious to you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks! This is my first post on the Freaks board. I've been a fan of Tolkien's works since the early 70's and got hooked on SSW statues in 2003. I've got a fairly large collection now, including some nice pieces that I would never part with. I basically got them because I love 'em, and they most certainly ARE still precious to me! If they appreciate in value over the years, that wouldn't be a bad thing, but like some others who've posted before me, I just hope to have enough space someday to display and enjoy them all before it's MY turn to sail into the West! I'd take it all with me if I could, but since that's not really an option, I just want to enjoy it as long as I possibly can, and then maybe find another good home for it all before that last ship sails.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Welcome to the board Mudshark! Didn't you win a price from SSC recently?

I think it was the King of the Dead statue during the ToyFair Mordor Monday contest...if my memory serves me correctly.

My collection is precious to me. I have plenty to be going on with.......

All but 2 of the Helms (if anyone has a legion helm........?)

around 30 of the busts

about 11 statues

8 weapon plaques

3 mini beasts

and one or two other goodies.

I will not sell them.

The PF line is too large, I have Lurtz excl. but will get no more.

The LS busts are too large. Will not get them.

I have the 4 12"ers in exclusive format but find it hard to have any care of them but will continue in this line a little further.

I guess really that the SSW pieces are the only one's that give me the feeling of the books and the films. The helms are small and easily collectible due to their relative low prices. The busts I think will continue to be popular as they are perhaps the best format for display being larger in scale than the stats which are rather large but with smaller detail.

I can see the Helms appreciating most in the long term followed by the busts and the stats will, I think, fall further with a small number of exceptions.

Oxfordian said:
My collection is precious to me. I have plenty to be going on with.......

All but 2 of the Helms (if anyone has a legion helm........?)

around 30 of the busts

about 11 statues

8 weapon plaques

3 mini beasts

and one or two other goodies.

I will not sell them.

The PF line is too large, I have Lurtz excl. but will get no more.

The LS busts are too large. Will not get them.

I have the 4 12"ers in exclusive format but find it hard to have any care of them but will continue in this line a little further.

I guess really that the SSW pieces are the only one's that give me the feeling of the books and the films. The helms are small and easily collectible due to their relative low prices. The busts I think will continue to be popular as they are perhaps the best format for display being larger in scale than the stats which are rather large but with smaller detail.

I can see the Helms appreciating most in the long term followed by the busts and the stats will, I think, fall further with a small number of exceptions.

Some of the medallions are also appreciating much...

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Welcome to the board Mudshark! Didn't you win a price from SSC recently?

Thanks! As a matter of fact I was the first 'Mouth Off and Win' contest winner of 2007, much to my surprise! The prize was the CSA 1st Virginia Cavalry Trooper exclusive, which was a welcome 14th addition to my Civil War 12" collection. Before now I've been mostly haunting SSC's message boards from time to time.

I used to have four, but due to lack of space (and new items), have had to drop down to two. Which may soon be down to one:monkey2

I didn't have a computer some years ago, and by the time I discovered SSC's website, there was already a lot going on. I wanted everything, but like many others, I had to make a lot of hard choices and let some things go. Anyway, the current tally of my SSC LOTR collection is this (IF anyone is interested):

* Polystone statues: 28 (Sauron and Ringwraith on Steed probably my favorites)
* Polystone busts: 25 (started late but managed to find many elsewhere)
* Weapon Sets: 10 (my only COMPLETE collection so far!)
* Miniature Helms: 24 (I really wish I had started collecting them SOONER!)
* Premium Format: 2 (got Lurtz exclusive from Wait List!!!)
* DVD statues: 7 (missed out on Minas Morgul & King Elessar's Crown!!!!!)
* 12" Exclusives: 4 (also have some regular editions for customizing purposes)
* Environments: 1
* Wall Plaques: 1
* Bookend Set: 1
* L.S. busts: 1 (Sauron preordered)
* Dioramas: 1 (Frodo/Gollum preordered)

I also collect other LOTR stuff, but that's my basic SSC collection so far. In the words of Isildur, "... it is precious to me." Almost all of it was directly from Sideshow. I've never bought anything off ebay (yet), but as interest cools and the prices of some of these things drop, (and they hopefully become more available), I'll probably start hunting for some of the pieces I really wanted (except for that first Balrog, of course!)

I'd mainly like to have some of the miniature helm's I missed, especially King Elessar's Crown! (Anybody got one they might part with by any chance? Pleeeease???)

Last edited:
Mudshark said:
I didn't have a computer some years ago, and by the time I discovered SSC's website, there was already a lot going on. I wanted everything, but like many others, I had to make a lot of hard choices and let some things go. Anyway, the current tally of my SSC LOTR collection is this (IF anyone is interested):

* Polystone statues: 28 (Sauron and Ringwraith on Steed probably my favorites)
* Polystone busts: 25 (started late but managed to find many elsewhere)
* Weapon Sets: 10 (my only COMPLETE collection so far!)
* Miniature Helms: 24 (I really wish I had started collecting them SOONER!)
* Premium Format: 2 (got Lurtz exclusive from Wait List!!!)
* DVD statues: 7 (missed out on Minas Morgul & King Elessar's Crown!!!!!)
* 12" Exclusives: 4 (also have some regular editions for customizing purposes)
* Environments: 1
* Wall Plaques: 1
* Bookend Set: 1
* L.S. busts: 1 (Sauron preordered)
* Dioramas: 1 (Frodo/Gollum preordered)

I also collect other LOTR stuff, but that's my basic SSC collection so far. In the words of Isildur, "... it is precious to me." Almost all of it was directly from Sideshow. I've never bought anything off ebay (yet), but as interest cools and the prices of some of these things drop, (and they hopefully become more available), I'll probably start hunting for some of the pieces I really wanted (except for that first Balrog, of course!)

I'd mainly like to have some of the miniature helm's I missed, especially King Elessar's Crown! (Anybody got one they might part with by any chance? Pleeeease???)

Wow, from the way you are writing this... you are soon to get offers to sell you items soon... :cool:

I make sweet sweet love to my weta pieces, down by the fire, while I listen to some Barry White. I then smack my cave troll on the ass and say "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn"

HeraldElrond said:
I make sweet sweet love to my weta pieces, down by the fire, while I listen to some Barry White. I then smack my cave troll on the ass and say "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn"

"Your damn riiiiiiiiiiight!"

white_barry.jpg

I've been on a little buying splurge recently, picking up a few SS/Weta pieces that I had passed on before. Now with pricing at pretty much it's lowest, I'm taking the plunge on several pieces.

I detail that I really appreciate is the standardization used with the bases. I find the black "column" bases on the busts and helms very classy looking and the simple black bases with the etched map of Middle Earth looks fantastic with the statues.

FlyAndFight said:
...I detail that I really appreciate is the standardization used with the bases. I find the black "column" bases on the busts and helms very classy looking and the simple black bases with the etched map of Middle Earth looks fantastic with the statues.

:rock :rock :rock

I still fancy a Balrog. But I'd never pay the prices they go by. Not anymore, anyway. I'm not that 'hungry" for it anymore. So, no Balrog for me I guess! Unless the general interest drops over the next few years, and the item becomes less expencive.

Last edited:
I only own a few pieces; Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf on Shadowfax, and Sauron. Unfortunately they're in storage right now, but they are all keepers for me.

I just wish that I could have known that I would end up enjoying LOTR as much as I do, and could have gotten into this stuff sooner. I'd love to have Saruman, Ringwraith on steed and, of course, the Balrog.

:D My Weta pieces will always be special to me, as they most closely relate to the wonderful story put on to the big screen by PJ.
I have been collecting them for 4 years now, and have only recently been able to display them properly in cabinets in a room totally dedicated to LOTR.
I was lucky enough to move into a house with a spare room...............And then the quest for cabinets, shelves etc started. It's been a long project, still not quite completed, but it has kept me happily busy for many years.
I did collect the pieces for my own enjoyment, and they never fail to thrill me. A lot of my friends enjoy them as well.
I will not part with them ever. It's been hard enough to gather all the pieces I have thus far, and my quest will be ongoing still.:rotfl

Back