1/6 Are you buying Hot Toys DOFP Wolverine?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you getting DOFP Wolverine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Darth Snoopy chilling them...can't continue, too much salty language. :lol

ving-rhames-94874783.jpg

No Luke did not warrant the highest licenses. Lucas films own the complete likeness rights. Hot toys only needed to negotiate with Lucas which is now Disney/marvel...with xmen it's marvel...fox...and the individual actors. Mark (Luke) got paid for his likeness when he got paid for the film work originally.
No, I wasn't referring to likeness, but the fact that HT had to give a cut to Sideshow, and Hasbro, and probably Lucasfilm on top of that. For that reason, the costs were likely very high, and are most the primary reason why we never saw another Star Wars figure announced from them until Chewy and Han. Now they can (at least) bypass Sideshow.

I didn't think we'd ever see any high end merchandise from this movie. If HT said, "well, we can do ONE figure, that's it, who do you want Khev?" I would have said Future Wolverine. He's the iconic representation of the movie (posters, etc.) he actually has a borderline comic booky costume (yeah, yeah I know its more tactical Snake Eyes/Dark Knight stuff but at least it has color AND metal claws) and Jackman is the ONE actor to appear in both the future and the past.

And now here he have him, and he looks freaking awesome. Yeah its $20-$40 higher than I would have guessed/liked. But he won't stay $250, that's for sure. I can handle a little surcharge for a "one and done" figure (as opposed to paying $1500+ if they made the whole team.) If they do make a costumed Magneto (or anyone else) that will be gravy. But I'm guessing this is all we'll see and $250 is the most anyone will have to pay retail to be a DOFP HT "completist."

I am, I'm not happy about that price, but I am. I just love the look and the sculpt is awesome.

No offense to DiFabio or others but personally I think Motux's argument makes the most sense. My take is that each figure's price is set on a case-by-case basis (based on the run size, licensing, materials, etc.), so there won't be any consistency or predictability in it for the consumer. I'm just happy this stuff is being made and to me it's worth the premium. Like a lot of people have mentioned, SSC's monthly coupons (and other incentives like double-reward points) seem to be built-in to the cost, so if one is patient, one can for sure get this for $230.00, and maybe better if it gets discounted.

If anything, I'll wait till sideshow is practically giving this away due to having loads of stock left a year from now

No offense to DiFabio or others but personally I think Motux's argument makes the most sense. My take is that each figure's price is set on a case-by-case basis (based on the run size, licensing, materials, etc.).

Yup.

And saying that the only constant is Hot Toys' desire to profit as much as possible is begging the question of how much is possible. Prices may not be predictible from the consumer side, but the factors that go into it from the producer side are stark black and white.

There's probably a lot of things going on behind closed doors and it's actually good that this figure's being produced. For the sake of the fans I hope Logan won't be the end of this line.

However, I will resort to taking the risk and see if I could get this at a lower price when out. The high price had a follow up punch as our local dealers raised the NRD from 10 to 20%, probably to safeguard them from the low sales and lots of unclaimed preorders they've been getting lately.

There's probably a lot of things going on behind closed doors and it's actually good that this figure's being produced. For the sake of the fans I hope Logan won't be the end of this line.

I'm really glad we got this.

29opb2x.jpg

Now we just need this.

28lrmz6.jpg

I doubt Hot Toys won't deliver on other figures besides Wolvie - specially if this Wolverine outsells the last three.

With the Luke that was produced- that was a one off. They never aquired the whole license, in fact they used sideshows license to do it. Basically it was a 1:6 sideshow luke made by hot toys. So no, the license for that figure was not crazy high like you assumed. In fact, it was the lowest because they never had to aquire it. And why would they pay hasbro anyway?

As for how it works with normal exclusives between sideshow and hot toys...like with say AMazing Spider-man 2 spidey figure is that it's a marketing perk for sideshow. They do it because sideshow is not only a retail outlet (ie toy anxiety or for retail comparison wal-mart) but also the Distribution company for a huge chunk of hot toys market...like diamond for comics. Places like toy anxiety and just about any other north/South America, most of Europe, Africa, and some of Asia retailer of new hot toys get their products thru sideshow. Not direct from hot toys. So with these sideshow exclusives they (hot toys) does not pay a percentage of profit to sideshow because it's a "sideshow exclusive". It's a perk so people buy direct retail thru sideshow. It's a marketing tool.

You can not compare a hot toys product with how neca or hasbro do things. The hot toys line has no equal in the toy world. I'm not talking aesthetics, though I think they are light years better there as well, but in complexity, overhead and unique business model.

If you don't think the figure is worth it, or think your money is better spent elsewhere that's great. But don't turn around and complain there's no fasseneto or beast. It's not only economics and business, but common sense...if they can not sell the most popular figure from the franchise..the one that will probably be the cheapest to produce for hot toys(though again , still WAY more in fees /profit percentage share...and headache/employee billables) then why would they ever try to make the rest? When they can make figures from films that have 1/3 to 1/4 the licenses costs and 10 times the sales and 5 times the tool/ mold reuse potential?

Yes this figures price point is high. Yes I'd love for it to cost 99 cents. It does have limited accesories at this point. But it's also a minor miracle that it's being made at all. From what I know and have heard from both actors in the movie, company execs at fox and marvel, and people at a lot of major toy/merchandise producers/company's this will be the only figures for the movie franchise and no one thought anyone would get the licenses to do it. So I'm just happy it's getting made at all. I understand the ( first hand) challenge and cost it was to get this deal done and what happens to any future figures if this one tanks for whatever reason so I preorder about ten seconds after it went live.

Same here, preordered as soon as it went live, hopefully the sales for this guy will be good enough to keep more figures from DOFP coming.

Last edited:
I want Fassbender Magneto, but can't be bothered with anyone else if they're not going to make him.

I like Wolverine, but they've made several versions of him and no one else, and he's not a great stand alone character for me. And that price is a turn off for a character I'm not passionate about.

I want Fassbender Magneto, but can't be bothered with anyone else if they're not going to make him.

I like Wolverine, but they've made several versions of him and no one else, and he's not a great stand alone character for me. And that price is a turn off for a character I'm not passionate about.

This. Fassneto or don't bother.

Starting off the line with another Jackman Wolvie is a bad sign imo. You have to believe HT knows how much the fans have been clamoring for a Fassneto or that Xavier they showed, so if they have the green light to do either of them one of them would have been perfect to kick this line off.

I think the shoulder articulation angles will be limited because of the suit. They should fix it before releasing. They may produce it like HT Dark World Thor for better articulation.

Back