Are Hot Toys Diecast figs worth the extra $$$?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I have the die cast bandai c3po it's awesome all metal and it cost me 300 bucks. I have the die cast Robocop, it's got like two peices of metal and the rest is plastic and it cost me 300 bucks.

You do the math. So to answer the question is it worth the extra money? Uh. No.

Exactly. You have people who are too easily mislead buying into the Hot Toys hype and are ignoring their "diecast" figures are mostly plastic.

Yeah man...this nails the truth exactly. I have the play imaginative 1/4 war ,machine and just got the1/4 mk45...I have to say I'm pretty disappointed...aesthetically, it looks amazing. Outside of that the plastic is super cheap.....reminds me of knock of plastic for transformers. For the price of the mk45 1/4 I could have gotten 2 Play Imaginative war machine which are 90% die cast

If they say diecast, It should be all diecast except the hands as in Bandai C3PO. Paying extra for a few extra diecast panels is a joke.

No not at all. I do like the proportion upgrades with the diecast iron man releases.

I love the argument of "I like the weight of the figure, so that's why diecast is worth it"

How often you carrying your figures around? Lol.

The only time it really makes sense for me is when it helps with stability. The SH Figuarts Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have diecast lower legs because they're all top heavy otherwise. The diecast lower legs help so much with posing them.

There is very little actual diecast content in the Hot Toys diecast figures.

But that said...

The Diecast Iron Man figures are simply better figures than their plastic counterparts (meaning DC Mark 6 vs Plastic Mark 6, or Diecast Mark 5 vs Plastic Mark 5 ,etc.).
I'm not sure if that's due to simply the release date (newer figures, newer construction, engineering, etc.), but the Diecast versions are superior in paint, engineering/articulation, detail and proportions versus their plastic counterparts.

So in my opinion, a collector shouldn't be buying them because they are diecast, or because they are heavier. They just look better and pose better.

For me personally, I never owned the plastic ones. (I've done the comparisons in-hand, when looking at the collections of some friends who have lots of Iron Men). So since I never owned the plastic ones, for me, I didn't mind paying for the diecast ones I own because I thought they looked better....

Back