Aragorn Premium Format!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aragorn PF!!!

What they changed with the hand looks much better for the Exclusive, much less so for the Regular. Before the Knife in hand looked forced, the empty hand more natural, now its the opposite, interesting.

BUT the likeness, the face????
I just can't believe it. It was so good before.

Its the EYES! The bottom half of the face appears unchanged, except for the lighting. Its like someone said, "Make em them more fierce!" And they did, they ruined it.

Last edited:

I am very pleased with the changes to the pose, it certainly works better for the exclusive.

The face definately looks more angry, which for me given the pose and the moment isn't really a bad thing. It is still a vastly superior likeness to anything we have seen to date.

Oh, we also don't have the "hair issues" we had before.

:cool:

Well I've been looking through everyones comments since I posted those comparison pictures and I'm wondering if anyone even looked at them. Honestly I think everyone was just so used to the way the Proto looked that they just wont give the new production piece a chance. It seems to me that everyone is just trying to find things wrong with it. The change in the colors of the clothing is due to them being weathered and worn. If you look at the pics I posted you can see that his cloak actually is that faded color in the movie. The facial sculpt looks to have more detail, I actually thought the face on the Proto looked a little too subdued and his skin tone had too much of a pale white color to it. The skin tone being darker is probably due to SS applying a dirt or grime paint app to it. And I see what people are saying about the stubble looking a little too light, but thats a minor thing to me really. This is all of course just my opinion, but I just think its a little outrageous to cancel so quickly after just seeing the final pics. I understand that it didn't come out the way we all expected, but at least give it a chance, and I mean its still Aragorn, I don't understand how you wouldn't be able to see him in that sculpt at all. To say the piece is completely ruined just seems kinda harsh, but like I said just my humble opinion, don't be too hard on me :monkey1.

Well I've been looking through everyones comments since I posted those comparison pictures and I'm wondering if anyone even looked at them. Honestly I think everyone was just so used to the way the Proto looked that they just wont give the new production piece a chance. It seems to me that everyone is just trying to find things wrong with it. The change in the colors of the clothing is due to them being weathered and worn. If you look at the pics I posted you can see that his cloak actually is that faded color in the movie. The facial sculpt looks to have more detail, I actually thought the face on the Proto looked a little too subdued and his skin tone had too much of a pale white color to it. The skin tone being darker is probably due to SS applying a dirt or grime paint app to it. And I see what people are saying about the stubble looking a little too light, but thats a minor thing to me really. This is all of course just my opinion, but I just think its a little outrageous to cancel so quickly after just seeing the final pics. I understand that it didn't come out the way we all expected, but at least give it a chance, and I mean its still Aragorn, I don't understand how you wouldn't be able to see him in that sculpt at all. To say the piece is completely ruined just seems kinda harsh, but like I said just my humble opinion, don't be too hard on me :monkey1.

That exactly what I was thinking to. After looking at the new pictures I like it even moor than I did before. :joy

:D

Yes...get him...I really like my frodo pf..:monkey5
Thanks. Will trade in my SS points for him :D

I agree. It's got one of my favorite bases and the costume is fantastic as well. The sculpt really is much better in person (though it's still far from perfect)
Thanks. I am a completist so I might as well get him now.

Despite all the negativity surrounding Frodo.....I bought it from ebay for like $100 and am very glad I did. It looks great in person and the cloth work is very detailed..

Hi ya Keith. I don't remember you got it for $100.(this is Hokies :naughty )

I really see Viggo in the first shot. The second one, it's hard to pin down exactly what has changed, but it looks less like Viggo.

I hope it's just an angle thing. The proto is perfect.

I have to say I still like the newer version of aragorn and still think he looks great, However I must admit I think I liked the prototype abit more also...I'm still excited to see it in person though..:monkey5

It's not ruined but I would rather wait and see some pictures before handing over $300. That's a lot of money for a piece that I might not be thrilled with in hand. :) I have only returned one thing back to Sideshow because I didn't like it and I said I would never do it again because of the expense and the hassle. A simple way to avoid that is to not rush into anything.

Man... I have just rambled. Sorry. :eek::lol

I think he looks even more realistic, it's a pity of the hair though.

In my opinion, the exclusive edition still looks unnatural.

Well I'm still mostly happy with the production product. It's the only decent Viggo likeness I've seen on a collectible. My only complaint is that SS needs to correct little costume issues such as the sagging belt before taking pictures...just looks sloppy IMO.

Well I have to agree that its not the same item really and thats a little poor on SS behalf as when many of us pre ordered we thought we were ordering what we saw on screen and now it turns out thats its not. Yes its still Aragorn but the feel of the whole thing has changed and yes it looks more intense but IMO it doesn't look like Viggo and the pre order pics did look like him. Also whats weirder again is that on the gallery they show photos of the box/packaging and the pictures on it are of the the pre order CALMER version of Aragorn I think, so maybe its not changed???? :confused:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=71591&source=070308news

Also whats weirder again is that on the gallery they show photos of the box/packaging and the pictures on it are of the the pre order CALMER version of Aragorn I think, so maybe its not changed???? :confused:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=71591&source=070308news

Every Sideshow product that I own has a photo of the prototype rather than the production piece on the packaging. This is evident on all of my 1:6 Lord of the Rings and Star Wars figures, so I think this is pretty par for the course. At least it gives you a record of the prototype. :D

I can't remember now how it was with Aragorn, but I was noticing looking at the Anakin PF, Moria Orc PF, Mystique PF etc. that it doesn't say "Prototype Pending Approval" on the photos on SS's website. Now is that maybe indicative that the final production piece wont differ much from the photos that are up now, or maybe it doesn't really mean anything. Was wondering what your guys thoughts on it are?

the aragorn pf and indy pf looked like the best in the line in my opinion... what if the same thing happens to dr. jones ?!?!:whip

I am feeling a little better now also after a good nights sleep but still am not satisfied.:lol

I'm in the same camp of those that feel that while this still looks good, it no longer looks great. I wish this was shipping after SDCC so I could see it in person but at least we have the return policy.

I do know one thing, if this piece doesn't wow me in hand, this line is gone. I hate to do it, but what's the point of keeping decent pieces when Marvel is home run after home run?

Back