Aoshima Aliens Dropship & APC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There didn't seem to be a lot of clear information out there when I was looking to buy mine (quite some time ago now), so I had to do a lot of digging to find out the exact differences between versions, as there's three versions of the drop ship available, and two versions of the APC, and the details of each aren't exactly well documented for some reason. Perhaps because these were made primarily for the Japanese market.

Here's a basic rundown.

The Drop Ship comes in three variants, the 01, the 02, and the 03. The variations between each are so:

The 01 (Standard Edition) is based on the first Drop Ship you see in the Aliens film, and as such it has a unique 'Bug Stompers' ship logo decal under the cockpit, pilot in the seat of the cockpit, has a 'weathered' paintjob (which basically equates to some black 'scorch' marks over a slightly darker/grimier green paintjob compared to the 02 version), as well as 01 ship markings, and comes with a mini (to scale) Alien Warrior pack in.

The 02 (Limited Edition) seems to be the one that is most easily available these days, and is based on the second drop ship that Bishop remote pilots down to the colony. It has its own unique 'Smart Ass' logo decal, has no pilot in the cockpit, has a 'clean' version of the military green paintwork (slightly lighter green than the 01), as well as the obvious 02 markings, and comes with a scaled Alien Queen pack in.

The 03 (Exclusive) is by far the rarest and hardest/most expensive to find (apparently limited to 500 worldwide), and is Aoshima's own custom paint variant. It has clean black body paint, pilot (like the 01), the 'Bug Stompers' custom ship decal (same as the 01), and the Alien Queen pack in (from the 02), as well as its 03 markings, of course. So basically it's pretty much the same as the 01 version, just painted 'stealth ops' black, and with the Alien Queen pack in and 03 markings added.

All versions have openable wings and weapons mounts, as well as switch out parts for displaying landing gear as either retracted or open, along with an openable ramp underneath the ship, which the APC can fit into (and yes, it does hold closed in place with the apc inside). The majority of the body is made of die cast, with some plastic parts, such as the ramp, cockpit windows, and a few other bits and pieces.

As for the APC's, the two variants are pretty much identical, except for the pack ins.

The 'Limited Edition' APC comes with a mini Alien Warrior pack in, the same as you get with the 01 drop ship.

The 'Standard Edition' APC comes with 2 mini Colonial Marines as packs in.

Personally at the scale, the Alien looks far better than the marines do, but given that the Alien is only 3cm high or so, and the marines smaller than that, the fact is you were never going to get something ultra detailed at such a tiny scale. That said, they actually did about as well with the Aliens as one could hope for, considering the obvious limitations. The Marines, again, yeah, no so much, but it is what it is...

The APC is pretty much all die cast, except for the two movable gun mounts, and the wheels.

Personally, as a big Alien fan, and someone who likes die cast replicas like this, I like mine quite a bit, and think the paint is fine on each version, as far as a factory piece like this goes. But like with just about any retail piece, well done custom paints can improve just about any factory job. Mind you, I got my Drop Ship and APC for a pretty good price direct from Japan too, so that always helps.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Like too hear some thoughts, if anyone has this?
Looks to me as though it would look a whole lot better with a custom grimy paint job?:dunno

Yeah it would defintely look better with a custom grimy paint job. The dropship itself is nice but it lacks fine detail. The apc is meh but i guess the sliding cannon is pretty good on it.

You can definitely improve it with a paintjob adding some bits n pieces as well as lights to the apc & dropship. Building a small base diorama for it would be ideal though. something like the below pic. To be honest though when they release these kinds of items they should include all the above features and you shouldn't have to customise it to make it accurate.

Pic_0065-500x375.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned the Aoshima Dropship for a couple of years now and it is a fantastic piece. I was lucky enough to be able to view all three versions of it at a local hobby meet prior to purchase and for me the decision was easy.....Version 2.

Version 1 was a massive let down. The pilot in it looks extremely cheap.......completely brings down the quality of the rest of the ship. It amazes me what Aoshima were thinking when they put that pilot in there. The "weathering" looks cheap and unatural. I wouldn't go here.

version 3 has an almost black colour to it so it's movie accuracy is missing. It also costs an arm and a leg.

Version 2 is the standout in my opinion. For me it has the closest colour match to the original and it also has an empty cockpit :clap
The paintjob is all pretty much the same dull olive drab colour giving it a real military look. Absolutely no weathering on it but the one in the movie was also 'clean' while it was parked in the Sulaco. If you wanted to give it a weathered look this would be your best version to start.

The Queen and Marines that come with the DropShip are also a joke:slap They really bring down the quality of the ship.

I brought the dropship on ebay along with the APC. Since then I have gone on to sell the APC as I wasn't overly impressed. I ended up buying the Halcyon APC and it looks infinitely better despite it not being in scale with the dropship. I have painted it unweathered but when I have a bit more spare time I will go back to giving it a weathered look.

I have attached a picture. Sorry about the quality. I used my mobile as my camera is out of action. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Had the halcyon kits but i never was gifted enough to make themlook as good as i wanted.
What a relief when i got the 01 version and the APC with it.
True that some custom work would make it even more awesome.

Any idea for a stand to expose it in landing position?

Thanks a lot guys. A wealth of info there. I'll hunt for a good price.
Don't need any accompanying figures at this scale. The ship is all I really want with the APC.
Cheers

Forget about the paint, the features etc etc... and all the comments above (no offence). Just get it if you can get a good price and I guarantee you'll be satisfied as it is.

The sheer workmanship and solid build of the thing is enough to turn you away from any shortcomings.

I have the 01 version... it's one of those pieces I'll always be proud to own, which I will bring to my grave.

I believe ONEYE has all 3 versions...

IMHO, the 01 is the best choice to do. Coz its slightly "weathered" paintjob really makes your day. :D But the pilot looks crappy, really crappy for me. So if you don't want to took him out risking with the "glass" break, but would like to have this craft without pilot - pick up 02. It's pretty damn good too and it's still movie-accurate. Really, don't know who need 03-black, only guys who's collecting the whole series, I guess. It's not the final truth, no-no, just sharing my opinion with you, guys. But this piece is really worth it's cost. Still try to not over-pay for the APC, 150$ for this one is pure insane!

Here is few pic. of mine 01. Keep in mind that there is some additional custom (!) weathering paintjob on it.

171863208.jpg

171863387.jpg

171863877.jpg

171863912.jpg

171864267.jpg

171864297.jpg

All pic. are here - CLICK.

Last edited:
^You probably ought to mention that the weathering seen in your pics is a custom job.

I have the 01 and it's clean as a whistle.

I like to know that I'm not the only missreader on the board :lol
Love ur Aoshima stuff, muh friend!

Here is few pic. of mine 01. Keep in mind that there is some additional custom (!) weathering paintjob on it.
i said it before and i'll say it again: flying units don't have scratched corners like road units :slap :rotfl

Hi there guys,

I'm really keen on getting 01 over 02 for the fact that it was really 01 that made me fall in love with it during the whole drop on LV426 with Ferro and _____mire.. I mean it's the one that was in the pipe 5 by 5 after all! But from all the pictures I've seen that pilot is terrible. Makes a lego man look good.

I see those who've posted pictures of their 01s have seemingly removed the pilot. How easy is this to do?

Thanks a lot,

G4sM4sk

i said it before and i'll say it again: flying units don't have scratched corners like road units :slap :rotfl

'Course anything that passes in and out of atmospheres and harsh storms is gonna' have SOME wear, just not dents or bends (which naturally begin to affect the hull and stability):panic:

Hi all,

I actually FOUND the diecast model of the '02' in an outdoor bric-a-brac stall in a very seedy market in Hong Kong. Its in very good condition with the APC but alas, the Alien Queen, front antenna, and landing gears (x3) are all missing, but I got it for just US$23!!! :yess:

Any ideas where I can order me a set of landing gear? I have contacted Aoshima but their website states "Important: We no longer sell individual/separate parts for overseas customers."

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
woah nice price. I have the 02 with all the parts and the APC.
I love them... a powerloader in scale would be cool too.
I don't care about the queen figure it's cheap but sorry it's not for sale :\

not sure where you can get the replacements other than Aoshima or trying to find a broken one for cheap.

Back