Anyone know any tricks to take smoke smell out of hot toys figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A-Dev, no warning at all. In fact, if I paid full price what they usually go for I would have returned it in a heartbeat. Considering I got it for such a good deal, it would be hard for me to send it back for this reason alone. Everything else is perfect condition, just the god awful smell that hopefully I can fix.

Oh. I'm sure you'll be able to rid your figure of the cigarette smell but the seller should have warned you.

I'm selling stuff myself now and much to my annoyance and regret theres smoking in my house (not by me) which I've talked about in my FS thread. I've yet to determine whether my 2 buyers so far have detected any cigarette smell - they still haven't received the stuff yet so it would seem. I'm really curious about it - I didn't notice a smell off them but it could be I'm just used to it.

Hey,

I work in fire restoration & one tip I can give you is to get a chem sponge from your local hardware store & wipe the box (assuming you got in the auction.) Don't wet it & when you use it make sure the sponge is flush against the package. Do this two - three times over the entire surface areas you want to hit. That will get rid of the nicotine layer.

Secondly for the actual figure. Use the sponge on the smooth portions. For all the nooks & what not I'm pretty confident you're lacking an industrial ozone machine :wink1:. So the next best thing is leaving it sitting out (away from direct sunlight) & getting plenty of just plain old oxygen. Remove all clothing, accessories, etc & place it on wax paper. If possible try to rig some hangars to stand the clothing upright so air goes clean through. Depending on the severity it could take up to about three - four days (not a short amount of time I know). Also when you do this put it behind a fan aimed toward an open window so that the smell leaves your home.

I hope that helps.

I've heard in a zip lock bag with a fabric softener sheet will work.... I think a week or so?

This is what I've done... I removed all clothing, accessories, head, hands, etc. and placed all of these in Ziploc baggies with a dryer sheet inside.

So head and hands in one bag, body in a larger bag, clothing in its own bag (or two if there is a lot). Then let it sit for a few days, come back and it should be taken care of.

If not, repeat once or twice. The sheets seem to do a great job of absorbing the smell and leaving your collectibles smelling clothesline fresh :lol

I would avoid Febreeze as it can discolor some things... not very common, but I'd hate to find out on a $200+ piece :lol

You're both right...but I have another solution. I have picked up some stinky Transformers before (both smoke smells and believe it or not cat piss too) and I wash them (for doll clothes hand wash lightly in cold water) and (air) dry them and then stick the in a ziplock bag with a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda. For reals, it works. And Flosi is right, give it a week.

:lecture Or this.....

...Or stop smoking.

There is that too.

this happened with my DX Batman. I basically did the fabric softener sheets. Except my room smells good so I just had the figure and accessories air out like that but used the fabric softener sheets for the box. The smell really got into the foam trays and cape. it worked though

I just febreezed the ____ daily and let it sit near a window (shaded area), took about 2 weeks or so and the smell was reasonable. Dispalyed the figure as usual, and now 2 months later, theres almost no smoke smell left.

I am gonna see about getting that sponge you speak of. At the moment I got some large freezer bags, Dryer sheets and some baking soda. I put all the large piece's in different bags and I divided the smaller pieces up in 2 bags. I put around 3-4 Dryer sheets in each bag and I had some small like 6oz cups that I cut down and filled with baking soda. I am gonna let them sit for about a week and check on them, Id imagine having both together should pull a lot of the smell away from the pieces. The box and packaging was a little harder. I took all the Styrofoam pieces out and stuffed dryer sheets inside the cracks. I opened the main box and dropped 2 sheets inside it, closed it up. I got a huge trash-bag put a few dryer sheets in it, threw all the pieces in as well as a thing of baking soda and tied up. Hopefully that does the trick or gets rid of most of the smell.

I noticed yesterday, I had it on display for at least 24 hours just to look at it, at night I threw some dryer sheets on it and it actually seemed to already clear some of the smell just from that...so I have faith :) Thanks for the tips!

Oh. I'm sure you'll be able to rid your figure of the cigarette smell but the seller should have warned you.

I'm selling stuff myself now and much to my annoyance and regret theres smoking in my house (not by me) which I've talked about in my FS thread. I've yet to determine whether my 2 buyers so far have detected any cigarette smell - they still haven't received the stuff yet so it would seem. I'm really curious about it - I didn't notice a smell off them but it could be I'm just used to it.

I agree, but we are talking about a guy who I had to make a claim on paypal before he would even ship the item to me, so I can't say I am surprised. He was ticked that I won the item so cheap, well I am sorry you listed it incorrectly, but that's not my fault.

In either case I dropped the case after I got the item, even after I noticed the smell....I figured it wasn't even worth it and that I could probably fix the problem. My wife says I am way to nice of a person but I told her if I paid more I would have went crazy about it. He would have hated it also considering I live 60 minutes from him :)\

If I decide to resell down the road and I feel ive eradicated the smell completely from it...I will still mention to the buyer in the listing that it did come a smokers home before me and was in rehab :)

Back