Anyone ever try to dispute a photo radar ticket?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to read the ticket more closely, still looking information up online. I could have sworn that there needed to be signs posted that photoradar was being enforced. I think a bunch of people got off because there weren't signs posted, the signs were ineligible (too small) or obscured (pot behind a tree, bush, etc.).

I'll probably just opt for the traffic school, but like I said, I need to read the ticket more closely because I was going over 20 the posted limit, and I'm not sure it's an option.

If you take the school option, does it still get communicated to your insurance company?

they must have a clear photo showing it was you driving the car at the time of the ticket. that's the easiest way to get out of it but most the time if you have got the ticket they have a clear photo.

Alright, check this out, I think I can beat it:

https://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00654.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

This is THE Arizona Law (28-654). I have a video on my iphone of the Van that took my picture, with ZERO signs being posted.

28-654. Photo enforcement zones; signage; standards; citation dismissal

A. Except as provided in subsection F of this section, every local authority or agency of this state using a photo enforcement system shall adopt standards and specifications that indicate to a person operating a motor vehicle that a photo enforcement system is present and operational.

B. The standards and specifications adopted pursuant to subsection A of this section shall include both of the following:

1. At least two signs shall be placed in a location before a photo enforcement system. One sign shall be in a location that is approximately three hundred feet before the photo enforcement system. Placement of additional signs shall be more than three hundred feet before a photo enforcement system to provide reasonable notice to a person that a photo enforcement system is present and operational.

2. Signs indicating a photo enforcement system shall be removed or covered when the photo enforcement system is no longer present or not operating.

C. Signs erected by a local authority or agency of this state as prescribed in this section shall contain a yellow warning notice and correlate with and as far as possible conform to the system set forth in the most recent edition of the manual on uniform traffic control devices for streets and highways adopted by the director pursuant to section 28-641.

D. If the standards and specifications prescribed pursuant to this section are not in effect during the operation of a photo enforcement system, the court may dismiss any citation issued to a person who is identified by the use of the photo enforcement system.

E. During the time a vehicle containing photo enforcement equipment is being used to identify violators of this article and article 6 of this chapter, the rear of the vehicle shall be clearly marked to indicate that the vehicle is functioning as a photo enforcement vehicle. This subsection does not apply to a vehicle that does not contain a photo enforcement system and that is used by a law enforcement officer.

F. Subsection B of this section does not apply to a mobile photo enforcement vehicle during the time a mobile photo enforcement vehicle is deployed on streets with a posted speed limit of forty miles per hour or less.

Now what do you think my chances are?

In my state, there is a "good driving" statute that allows tickets to be waived if you haven't received any tickets within a 3 year time period. The ticket is waived in traffic court and you'd have to pay a $25 court fee. I'd find other ways around it!!

Tickets aren't fun and I don't think there is much of a problem paying the ticket. It's just that most car insurance companies raise the premium once these tickets are reported. It's a double whammy in this case between the fine and the chance that his premiums go up.

I normally don't speed too much. I tend to go with the flow of traffic. On this specific date I was having personnel issues and was pretty upset with how to handle the situation, that was probably why I was going too fast. I won't post my speed, but the ticket is for $261, AND I'm not sure what that will do to my insurance because I may be in the "criminal speed" category. School zones are only 25 mph, even though there weren't any students on the street at this time.

I usually do the lower speed limit in school zones if school is in session. But was told by a local police officer that "When Children are present" means they have to be outside and in near proximity to the street. So you may at least have an argument for a lower fine if the kids were all inside the school.

I need to read the ticket more closely, still looking information up online. I could have sworn that there needed to be signs posted that photoradar was being enforced. I think a bunch of people got off because there weren't signs posted, the signs were ineligible (too small) or obscured (pot behind a tree, bush, etc.).

I'll probably just opt for the traffic school, but like I said, I need to read the ticket more closely because I was going over 20 the posted limit, and I'm not sure it's an option.

If you take the school option, does it still get communicated to your insurance company?

Here in CA, the Insurance Companies go by what is on your record. And if you go to traffic school...the ticket does not go on your record. So the Insurance Companies can not find out about it.

When I was working in Phoenix last year, they were just putting up those cameras. It was an excersize in concentration for me because I AM a speeder. But I was able to escape the critical months without a photo-ticket.

And...unfortunately...I just looked it up and Arizona revised statute 28-654 subsection "F" states that mobile units in areas that the posted speed limit is 40 or below do not need warning signs.

https://law.justia.com/arizona/codes/title28/00654.html

Do you have the photo yet? I beat a photo speed fine because, in the actual photo, another sign appeared in the photo. This meant the radar beams could have bounced off it causing a misreading. Check the photo. There could be a bird flying by, or a kid throwing a ball.

And it looks like the loopholes have now been closed up where you could just ignore the ticket and wait to be served by a court appointed due process server. If you were able to avoid getting served for 120 days, ticket was thrown out. I don't think that is the case any longer, and a warrant will be issued.

oh well, looks like traffic school is the easiest option that I will be taking. It just pisses me off because like I said, I normally drive AT the speed limit, maybe a little over if I'm getting passed by traffic. I don't speed very often, and being caught where I was at speed I was doing is worst case scenario.

On this particular day, the blood pressure was very high because of some attitude I was getting from a person at work, so that's what I was thinking about. And to top it off, after dealing with the ass at work, and then getting flashed by photo radar, when I finally made it to the park where I was going to eat my lunch, the damn Mexican place screwed up my order and gave my a Chorizo and Egg burrito instead of the chicken burrito I ordered. That was a bad day for me. I have been expecting this ticket for about a month now.

typically speeding is one thing. Speeding in a school zone during school zone hours = ouch ...

If I could have gotten out of it based on some techncality, why would I want to forfeit the cost of the fine? Yes I was speeding, but I would still rather be ticketed by a real person than a damn camera. I'm not a fan of "big brother" tactics invading my privacy.

Looks I am elligible for the traffic school option. Only restriction is if I had a commercial drivers license.

I've only been stopped once for speeding out of town and I didn't know what the speed limit was. No signs close. Anyway, he said I was going 11 miles over the limit. 10 miles you aren't even stopped. I don't think I was, but around here they target out of towners and you just mail the ticket and the fine in. It cost me $80. Not worth my time trying to fight it and they knew that.

Anyway, I would just pay it and let it go. Do you have to go to traffic school? I wouldn't if I didn't have to.

Mesa, how much is your ticket costing that you would rather go to traffic school?

My insurance won't go up for just one ticket.

Could be worse .... Texas. :lecture :naughty :emperor

I leave in texas... DONT GET ME STARTED ON OUR JUDGES
imgsrv.gocomics.com.gif

:monkey2

Back