Anyone else SICK TO DEATH of Sideshow's choices for statues?!?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL.... I love it ... so many different characters that have rarely or ever been done have gone up off an on over the year, and guys are complaining about statue choice. EVERYONE wants what they want and they want it NOW... just live with the fact that this stuff takes time.

Oh and Mego ... just wondering if you saw that Swampthing tease coming???

Outside the box thinking is great and to be applauded, but... not when fans are clamoring for Tier 1 characters for years. There's a time and place. Make the statues a majority of the fans want, don't ignore them with 2nd & 3rd Tier characters or lines that no one is asking for. The resources aren't there to do both.

For ex. Flash, MM, Robin, NW... I'm quite sure there are more fans that want these than a Swamp Thing or Gotham Nightmare line.

Mouths to feed... well this is a hobby not a necessity and youre only going to be in business as long as the demand is there, the fad dies so does the business. So getting into this line of work to get rich isn't probably the route to go. I didn't get into my line of work with a 6 figure expectation you go with what youre comfortable with.
That being said, maybe they drag these in demand characters out so they have an income later on, you build out all the main characters now what are you left with? However, I think there are PLENTY of variations of the big hitters a steady stream of profit can always be had.

Whew, sorry.

That being said, maybe they drag these in demand characters out so they have an income later on, you build out all the main characters now what are you left with?

You said it right there!

My thinking - all Tier 1, most know DC woman, and anything Batman is guaranteed in the future. Which keeps more people's eyes on the releases along for the long ride/wait.

Personally I love SSC for digging into tier 2 characters along the way, I was blown away last year with Black Canary, Huntress, Cheetah, and Killer Croc and never expected to see another 2nd tier character this year - as most of last year's exclusives are still available. Needless to say, I'm F'N amped they choose to hit up Swamp Thing this year.

As for what's next, I can't imagine we get any less than two Batman related PF this year, even with the "Gotham Nightmare".:pray:

Outside the box thinking is great and to be applauded, but... not when fans are clamoring for Tier 1 characters for years. There's a time and place. Make the statues a majority of the fans want, don't ignore them with 2nd & 3rd Tier characters or lines that no one is asking for. The resources aren't there to do both.

For ex. Flash, MM, Robin, NW... I'm quite sure there are more fans that want these than a Swamp Thing or Gotham Nightmare line.

Mouths to feed... well this is a hobby not a necessity and youre only going to be in business as long as the demand is there, the fad dies so does the business. So getting into this line of work to get rich isn't probably the route to go. I didn't get into my line of work with a 6 figure expectation you go with what youre comfortable with.
That being said, maybe they drag these in demand characters out so they have an income later on, you build out all the main characters now what are you left with? However, I think there are PLENTY of variations of the big hitters a steady stream of profit can always be had.

Whew, sorry.

If they were to release all of the Justice League in one or two years your average collector would have a hard time affording them all. Lets just assume the Original 7 all came out with in a 2 year time frame. By the time you had all of them out and added shipping you would be looking at a cost of about $3500-$4000. Now there are some who could easily afford that on a whim, but a lot of us couldn't. Then throw in the A listers villians... so lets say Joker, Lex, Doomsday, Bane, Catwoman, TwoFace, and say Sinestro well that is another $3500-$4000... then throw in all the A Listers from their other licenses. It would be unattainable to get lines if you did it like that. Well for many of us at least. For the XM ballers they would just have to go and look in the sofa I suppose....:wink1:

If they were to release all of the Justice League in one or two years your average collector would have a hard time affording them all. Lets just assume the Original 7 all came out with in a 2 year time frame. By the time you had all of them out and added shipping you would be looking at a cost of about $3500-$4000. Now there are some who could easily afford that on a whim, but a lot of us couldn't. Then throw in the A listers villians... so lets say Joker, Lex, Doomsday, Bane, Catwoman, TwoFace, and say Sinestro well that is another $3500-$4000... then throw in all the A Listers from their other licenses. It would be unattainable to get lines if you did it like that. Well for many of us at least. For the XM ballers they would just have to go and look in the sofa I suppose....:wink1:

Well said and viable point. I don't get though why there cant be a little transparency with the plan within contractual restraints, this isn't the CIA, FBI, NSA, its SSC, XM, P1.

PS; Portrait enroute to Brazil.

I highly doubt this is their motivation. They want want u to spend more not less, they are just trying to get u to buy statues you wouldn't normally buy if they were being sold at the same time as the more in demand statues. Nobody would preorder red Sonja #4 if they had flash, robin, magneto or other statues people actually want available for p.o. at the same time. They know collectors are addicts by nature and they need their statue or figure fix- going long periods without a new statue or figure causes some to break down and po stuff they wouldnt normally order..

Last edited:
Well said and viable point. I don't get though why there cant be a little transparency with the plan within contractual restraints, this isn't the CIA, FBI, NSA, its SSC, XM, P1.

PS; Portrait enroute to Brazil.

Probably because they have a little sense of whimsy AND there are probably some heavy contractual issues. For example I am sure they know roughly when all their BIG releases are scheduled to come out, but I thnk they do love to surprise us at the same time. How many people are totally hyped to see Magneto at SDCC now and are paying attention to the SSC live shows JUST in case their is a little tease. Last year it was Bane and the Hulk vs Wolverine Maquette. I am also guessing that contractually they are allowed to share some information till everything is ready to go, and I assume that saves them some headaches of always answering the same questions over and over. How many time was the Superman PF asked about after it was show at SDC! But it was being reworked because DC told them too.

I highly doubt this is their motivation. They want want u to spend more not less, they are just trying to get u to buy statues you wouldn't normally buy if they were being sold at the same time as the more in demand statues. Nobody would preorder red Sonja #4 if they had flash, robin, magneto or other statues people actually want available for p.o. at the same time. They know collectors are addicts by nature and they need their statue or figure fix- going long periods without a new statue or figure causes some to break down and po stuff they wouldnt normally order..

If tomorrow SSC put up EVERY statue you ever wanted to have couldn't you afford to buy them all??? Now for you the answe may be yes, but it would be for most of us. Also, the DC line was teased back in what 2012. That is 5 years ago now, and each year they release or tease a new big hitte, and several little ones. That isn't a bad spread and it ensures that they have enough cash flow coming in over the years to work in the smaller characters. The A Listers pay for the B, C, amd D listers... that is how this works.

Probably because they have a little sense of whimsy AND there are probably some heavy contractual issues. For example I am sure they know roughly when all their BIG releases are scheduled to come out, but I thnk they do love to surprise us at the same time. How many people are totally hyped to see Magneto at SDCC now and are paying attention to the SSC live shows JUST in case their is a little tease. Last year it was Bane and the Hulk vs Wolverine Maquette. I am also guessing that contractually they are allowed to share some information till everything is ready to go, and I assume that saves them some headaches of always answering the same questions over and over. How many time was the Superman PF asked about after it was show at SDC! But it was being reworked because DC told them too.

I can agree with that. But answer questions about a delayed product or listen to everyone complain about the lack of...?
From a business standpoint, I would have to acknowledge there is competition, whether licensed or not. If I don't let MY fans know PF X is in the queue then I risk losing that PF X fan sale to another company. Flash being the perfect example, I know of two, maybe three companies producing him right now in 1/4 scale. With no hint of a SS version, and you cant rely on a 4-5 year old tease, in fact SS continues to say "no Flash, sorry" people are gonna spend there money elsewhere.

And then whats gonna really piss them off is that they've spent $750ish because they HAD TO HAVE that statue and notoriously SS will coincidentally and magically reveal the PF they've been waiting for, for $200 cheaper. My point is be transparent within the loopholes your afforded. $.02

For the record, Im not bashing Sideshow's product, Ive a den full of them. What I dislike is their business practice with secrecy and suspicious price hikes.

Have You been lurking for years before joining in last May or were you a member under a different account before? Eitherway, if you can't stand it, then maybe just stay away. People complaining about those who complain can be just as annoying, if not more so.

If people can't stand SS then why come here and endlessly complain? Simp,y take your business elsewhere. No, complaining about complainers is not nearly as annoying as haters who whine about everything.

It's a forum--of course there's going to be complaining. :dunno Yes, people complaining about a company or collectible is annoying. So is people being overly positive when a piece doesn't warrant the praise. People that think one company can do no wrong when there is obvious evidence to the contrary is annoying. If you don't want to be annoyed then the internet is not the place for you.

If people can't stand SS then why come here and endlessly complain? Simp,y take your business elsewhere. No, complaining about complainers is not nearly as annoying as haters who whine about everything.

First, though the name might suggest it, this FORUM is not just for Sideshow products alone, nor was it created for praise-only discussion.

Second,wWhy come over a thread that obviously is a rant against Sideshow to complain about the ones complaining? Maybe it's you who should take your business somewhere. People praise, people complain. There's equal opportunity HERE.

They've done X-men to death and I'm sitting here still waiting on some Titans. Finally get Deathstroke and they say it's a Batman Rogue..SMH. Maybe that Deathstroker p.o.s. is a Batman villain, but I want a real 1/4 George Perez inspired Deathstroke to go along some iconic Titans like Nightwing, Starfire, Raven, Cyborg and Beast Boy.

I THINK Igo teased/hinted at a Starfire in the last, maybe one before, SS Live. Interpretation is subjective so take it loosely.

I love DC. But I've still YET to purchases any DC PF's. All my PF's are Star Wars and a couple Court of the Dead pieces. I WANT to buy a few DC PF's, but they just haven't done any characters that top my "favorites" chart.

Give me a Robin (preferably Tim Drake), or Scarecrow, or Nightwing, or Constantine, or The Question (Vic Sage), or Dr. Fate, or Mr. Freeze, or Batman Beyond, or any number of other characters that make the DC universe great. I'd kill to have The Question as a PF, and it'd be so EASY for Sideshow!!! There's no way they could mess up the face!!!

meme1.jpg

Back