Anyone considered dropping Hot Toys due to Re-releases of previous characters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nevah.gif

I don't particularly buy them for their re-sale value, but it really sticks two fingers up at the collector. . .
Like, Winston Churchill's "victory" sign?

jp2LK.jpg

Yeah, they probably do that. But I don't think it sucks. Let them have their moment.

I get what you're saying, but it's not a completely fair comparisson. People collect G1 transformers mostly out of nostalgia. They take for granted that the toys are thirty years old and therefor are not as good as current toys. With Hot Toys, those things are brandnew and there is nothing to appreciate in the same way as you appreciate a G1 TF.

People indeed collect Hot Toys because of the likeness of characters they love (and perhaps are nostalgic about). This particular toy has no special place in history, unlike for example the G1 transformers.

My point was that people buy an original Transformers toy (or tobacco advertising, film posters, etc) for the item itself. There's an appreciation for it as it is that does not change as new items are released. Whereas the average Hot Toys buyer only appreciates what looks the most realistic/accurate/etc - they're motivated by what is "the best representation of a character I like," which is something that's forever advancing. Their interest is based on a judgement and not any inherent quality a figure may have.

It does not require history to appreciate a 1.0 HT figure and for it to have lasting value. I think it just requires people to be interested in each figure for what it is, for more than just how closely it matches what you see in a film or how well it measures up to the very newest figures out there. Until that day comes, I think you cannot expect these figures to hold or increase in aftermarket value in any lasting way. It's also why it's so nonsensical to think that if it weren't for HT making a 2.0 version you'd be sitting on certain riches from here until death, which really does seem to be the thought of some around here.

Basically what you're saying is whereas back in the old days when HT released a figure and people knew that would be it, it was snatched up without hesitation. But nowadays, people are less motivated to purchase a figure when a better, upgraded version is potentially right around the corner?

No, I think people will buy the newest version that comes out. Even with the fear that an even newer version is around the corner it seems they still continue to buy. I think people buy more than ever.

My comment was about people being disinterested in 1.0 figures (and the reason for that) while at the same time expecting their figure collection to have lasting value.

I think folks feel threatened by re-releases. :lol

As someone earlier mentioned, 'better' is subjective.

This hobby should be about what makes you happy, not whether you're keeping up with the Joneses. :lol

No, I think people will buy the newest version that comes out. Even with the fear that an even newer version is around the corner it seems they still continue to buy. I think people buy more than ever.

My comment was about people being disinterested in 1.0 figures (and the reason for that) while at the same time expecting their figure collection to have lasting value.

Yup, the days of collecting for "value" ended a couple of years ago with the death of real limited edition collectibles. :lol

All of our figures mean something to us. We bought them because we thought they looked great and because they filled an element of need in our 'collecting' psyche.

I have the DX01 and will not upgrade. Likewise, I have the DX02 (luckily perfect) and that too is staying put. I don't see the point anymore of buying the v1, then the v2 or 3 or 4 of anything - though I would at one time have considered it.

As for buying them due to their resale value...anyone that is seriously doing this is in for a series of bitter disappointments. That sort of increase just does not happen anymore. If it did, we'd all be sitting on our own individual goldmines! If you get even close to the price that you paid initially for a figure, you'll be doing well these days.

Mind you, if folks do want to sell up and upgrade, well why the heck not? If it keeps you happy in the hobby and keeps it fresh for you then brilliant. It's up to you and if you are happy doing so, go for it.

Yup, the days of collecting for "value" ended a couple of years ago with the death of real limited edition collectibles

Which was a fluke and/or an illusion. Did the companies do it consciously? Who knows. Who cares.

What it comes down to is that suckerers sucker, and suckers, well...get back on the tit if Hot Toys isn't doing it for you any more.

I'd only stop buying if their quality depreciates and/or I run out of room. So for me it's a little from colum a and a lot from colum b right now.

Back