Anyone considered dropping Hot Toys due to Re-releases of previous characters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and no.

I don't buy the same character from the same actor anymore, so the only figure i've got left on order is Garfield's Spider-Man. If you look at their catalog of pre-orders there is few new characters up for order, off hand the only ones i can think of are The Boss, Ada Wong & Coulson. HT are pretty much just the same characters with a small few new ones (from the same ol licenses) sprinkled on.

I'll get any new MGS figure and any main XFC character (if they ever do them) as none of those have been done before so they're new and thus exciting, not the same and thus un-interesting.

EDIt: i forgot they've got some new batman ones amongst the re-makes of Bats, Jokers and the vehicles

Last edited:
I'm amazed that these haven't been done yet. Saying that I love NECA's, some of the best value out there in collecting.

Yeah Neca are doing really well with there 1/4 Pred line & for a great price to. I bought two of there P1's but sold them, I don't know they just weren't for me.

The use of terms like "depreciate" and "devalue" tells me that people look upon these as investments, which is stupid.

HT could reissue every item I own, and not a single crap would be given that day. If it's better than what I currently have, I'd be happy with that. If not, I keep what I have.

Not rocket science, and no need for the sturm und drang.

The use of terms like "depreciate" and "devalue" tells me that people look upon these as investments, which is stupid.

Not entirely, by doing this HT are making their previous products obselete to the eyes of thier customers

See here...

But when they take an existing piece, and revise it, with no relation to a new movie, but simply do some small tweaks and stuff - then it could very well be argued that they are devaluing the already existing collectible. This can no longer be praised as the best of its kind. No, now it's just out-dated.

People say HT do this as it's a business out to make money so they go where the money is, however with Sideshow the Spider-Man PF from years ago isn't obselete as it remains the only one, there hasn't been another Spider-Man PF, no remakes or re-releases.
They could easily remake it or re-release it as it's one of the most iconic pop culture characters globally, they'd make a mint easy.

So why haven't they?

That answer is the difference between HT collectibles and Sideshow Collectiobles ;)

Last edited:
Not entirely, by doing this HT are making their previous products obselete

If it's an improvement on a previous version, that's good, it's called progress. If it's a straight reissue, no obsolescence because it's the same toy.

It's not "obsolete" anyway, it still performs the exact same function as it always did, in the exact same way.

re-releases dont bother me. rising prices do. look at that hall of armor. geeesh!

Nova reminds me of Kevin Spaceys neighbor in American Beauty. I can totally see Nova trying to make out with Howard Chan one day.

If it's an improvement on a previous version, that's good, it's called progress. If it's a straight reissue, no obsolescence because it's the same toy.

It's not "obsolete" anyway, it still performs the exact same function as it always did, in the exact same way.

Good call, Obselete isn't the right word. Out-of-date would be more appropriate.

I guess the questions collectors should ask themselves are...

Why buy this when there'll be a new & improved one soon enough?

What's the point in getting excited for a figure, pre-order, unboxing ect... if it'll soon to be an outdated version?

Does this figure hold any worth to me if i'll just sell it off to get the next version?

Does it bother me that new, possibly better versions come along?

Sounds like the OP asked those questions and found the answers to be against HT's process.

Nova reminds me of Kevin Spaceys neighbor in American Beauty. I can totally see Nova trying to make out with Howard Chan one day.

Technically that'd be Chan trying to make out with me :yuck

Last edited:
It's just they way of the world really. Things get better, things get remade.

The ironic thing is that by upgrading your actually de-grading your collection IF your in it for the money. I mean was the 3rd version of Optimus Prime better than the G1? Of course, but whats more valuable.....

A bit of a drastic comparison but you get my meaning! Have a look at a G1 Ipod on ebay... bet you threw yours in the bin eh!!

I don't buy HT in order to speculate on appreciation for resale so a reissue is not a big deal to me for the most part. It's a bit of a pain if I've spent money in the secondary to pick up a fig and then an announcement comes down the pipe, but I've only done that once and it wasn't a huge premium. The only real problem I have with reissues is that they take time and resources away from new characters/lines like Avatar (Neytiri) Star Wars, Back to the Future, etc. But the good news is reissues often have better head sculpts, tailoring and/or accessories.
That said, I would still like to see a few reissues--Dutch from Predator, Rocky with better sculpts, a more accurate height for Stallone (too tall) and change-o fight damaged heads. Maybe a Rambo as well.

Otherwise, I buy what I see that I like.

It's just they way of the world really. Things get better, things get remade.

The ironic thing is that by upgrading your actually de-grading your collection IF your in it for the money. I mean was the 3rd version of Optimus Prime better than the G1? Of course, but whats more valuable.....

A bit of a drastic comparison but you get my meaning! Have a look at a G1 Ipod on ebay... bet you threw yours in the bin eh!!

things get remade as time goes by, of course.

I think it's the frequency of time that's the issue. Like i said Sideshow haven't remade a comicbook Hulk PF or DOOM PF or Spider-Man PF. They will eventually but in that amount of time HT would've done the same Nolan Batman suit 4 times plus over again and Tony Stark at least 10 times over.

Do old iPods sell? I gave mine to my nephew years ago.

Still functions :horror :lol

Still functions :horror :lol

The old ones go for about $250. In the box in good nick you can get up to a grand!

I agree with the frequency thing although a lot of the blame there can be shouldered on the movie studios. If they keep getting box office hits then HT's will keep churning out the figures.

It makes sense really. Why sell anything other than the latest and greatest when you have a fan base just itching to buy.

If i were in charge I'd build Back To the Future figures. If I wanted to make money though, I'd build Avengers figures... and it's all about the money :)

Look at fans wanting to buy the Coulson figure. I mean just who the hell is Phil Coulson anyway? A nobody from a popular movie that's who!

I won't buy every rehash or repeat but it doesn't mean i will stop all together if they want to dive into something new and its good they will always have my interest and business.

Back