Any good ANH Leia sculpts out there?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't understand all the love that people give the PF sculpt. It's certainly a nice looking sculpt, but I see very little Carrie Fisher there. I think the Boussh sculpt is the best Fisher likeness I've seen, but of course that doesn't help much for an ANH figure.

0807030749183918368.jpg

I just don't understand all the love that people give the PF sculpt. It's certainly a nice looking sculpt, but I see very little Carrie Fisher there. I think the Boussh sculpt is the best Fisher likeness I've seen, but of course that doesn't help much for an ANH figure.

I agree. Very little Carrie in there.

IMO, the best Leia sculpts out there are as follows:

Episode IV: Gentle Giant mini-bust
Episode VI: Gentle Giant Slave Leia statue
Episode VI: Sideshow 1/6 Leia Boushh

Yeah, but you sculpted her - they scanned. :monkey5

Well unless they hopped in a Delorean with their 3D scanner and went back to 1977, the scan was probably not much help. :) Somebody still did a helluva job bringing out that Fisher likeness.

I'll take all the encouragement I can though, thanks! :D

p.s. I'm in the camp that don't feel the love for the PF Leia likeness too... It's a smooth sculpt, but I think it's actually a pretty weak likeness to Fisher.:eek:

Yeah, scans wouldn't help with Original Trilogy human likenesses.

PF Leia is still a beautiful sculpt--just not very "Carrie-like" compared to others. But, Andy, you've done so many other portraits that are absolutely freakin' incredible IMO!! You're one of the best out there, and I know a lot of us agree on that!!

:duff

I take full blame for the large noggin' on the 1/6 Leia. It took me a very long time to get a handle on consistent sizing with my 1/6 sculpts, many of my sculpts from the early part of my SSC career were all over the map scale-wise. Not only did I sculpt Leia (both Boussh and New Hope) slightly on the large side, but it was before I knew they were going on the new small female body as well. (Damn you Trevor for achieving perfection from the start and making it look so easy).

I think that GG bust is an AMAZING Carrie Fisher likeness. You just have to see through the thick paint and slight production warping... I can tell the original sculpt was probably dead-to-rights. And speaking as someone who sculpted Fisher's mug 3+ times for SSC, I can attest that's no easy feat.

Just a little curious here, but why couldn't the prototype head be shrunk down a little in size before it's sent off to Sideshow or before production? I'm sure Sideshow has the means to do this since they have to shrink down a head casting to put on the prototype for order page pictures.
Anything you could share?

I take full blame for the large noggin' on the 1/6 Leia. It took me a very long time to get a handle on consistent sizing with my 1/6 sculpts, many of my sculpts from the early part of my SSC career were all over the map scale-wise. Not only did I sculpt Leia (both Boussh and New Hope) slightly on the large side, but it was before I knew they were going on the new small female body as well. (Damn you Trevor for achieving perfection from the start and making it look so easy).

I think that GG bust is an AMAZING Carrie Fisher likeness. You just have to see through the thick paint and slight production warping... I can tell the original sculpt was probably dead-to-rights. And speaking as someone who sculpted Fisher's mug 3+ times for SSC, I can attest that's no easy feat.

Man, this goes to prove how subjective likenesses are, and how achingly frustrating that can be. :) I for one have always been such a fan of the 1/4 scale likeness...that is just...Leia, dead to rights for me...a$$ kissing aside. I think the Gentle Giant bust is quite good too, though. (and the Leia Boush is killer)

It's just becoming more and more fascinating to me about how individual the opinions can be on what works and what doesn't...not a bad thing at all, just very curious.

And please never use the word perfection alongside the junk I whittle out, man....:D
Trev

Bah! Don't take the blame for that... it's the god-awful Buck body that deserves the brunt of that criticism. Just look at 95% of Sideshow's female figures.

Agreed. Even Trev's Sarah Connor head looks out of place at certain views on the Buck. The female heads I've gotten from Sideshow seem in fine proportion to the mass body of 1/6 figures, no bigger than an HT Elizabeth Swann or Ripley, but the design of the female Buck just makes any head stuck on them look like a bobblehead unless something is there to bulk out the neck size, like Asajj, she looks fine because the thickness of the armor on her shoulder makes the head to neck scale proper.

I wholeheartedly agree that Andy's PF is the best looking Leia available.

Man, this goes to prove how subjective likenesses are, and how achingly frustrating that can be. :) I for one have always been such a fan of the 1/4 scale likeness...that is just...Leia, dead to rights for me...a$$ kissing aside. I think the Gentle Giant bust is quite good too, though. (and the Leia Boush is killer)

It's just becoming more and more fascinating to me about how individual the opinions can be on what works and what doesn't...not a bad thing at all, just very curious.

And please never use the word perfection alongside the junk I whittle out, man....:D
Trev

I'm in the PF camp too. She's amazing. Likeness, shmikeness. The expression on the GG bust is weak. Not so on the PF, the overall effect of which is flawless. She is my favorite Star Wars piece.

And speaking as someone who sculpted Fisher's mug 3+ times for SSC, I can attest that's no easy feat.

Does that mean they still have a Hoth Leia sculpt from you waiting? One that matches Boushh and ANH? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)

I agree with Trevolver's comments about the headsculpts debate. I think it's one of these 3 reasons usually...

1- Since the evolution of the "collector" as the main customer in most cases and the huge amounts of money they spend, the quality of "toys" has advanced at an alarming rate. We are used to things getting better and better and we're never really satisfied. Similar to people wanting the next version of ipod/iphone/playstation/etc. and then when you get it, you're already looking for the next update/killer. I know I'm guilty in some cases of this myself. Most of us have bigger collections than we really should have.

2- Maybe we just really do see things differently. I own the Leia PF and I also own the Gentle Giant sculpts of Luke, Han & Leia and think all of them are amazing likenesses. It used to surprise me when I saw people bashing them because I thought it was a given that they were excellent sculpts. People aren't even bashful with comments anymore either, I've seen times where a poster on a message board will post a custom sculpt that they did of Daniel Craig or Harrison Ford & somebody will bust out with a "looks more like Ralph Macchio" or some other random dude rather than helpful criticism. Either we see things differently or it's become some sick game to come up with the most random person to say the head looks like.(brand loyalty could be a factor as well)

3- The Paintjob.

Just an observation, people are entitled to like or dislike what ever they choose to like or dislike.

Back