Ant-Man: The Movie is official!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Whedon left I'd be shocked and gutted, I want to see his vision for Ultron and then Thanos in Avengers 3.

Rumor has it that Marvel Studios has the rights to Namor (and not Universal which was originally the thought out there)

Maybe, since Edgar Wright dropped out of Antman, in addition to the cast not even knowing the fate of the film, they are dropping Ant-Man and replacing the film with a Namor film...

Rumor has it that Marvel Studios has the rights to Namor (and not Universal which was originally the thought out there)

Maybe, since Edgar Wright dropped out of Antman, in addition to the cast not even knowing the fate of the film, they are dropping Ant-Man and replacing the film with a Namor film...

No. 14 months is not enough time to change the film entirely. All the sets, props etc. for Ant-man have been made/in the process. This isn't as big as everyone is making it, the only thing that is gonna change is the story and tone. Cast etc. are all held in their contracts and will be expected by Marvel to fulfill them.

Yeah, DisMarv looks like it's ready to burst the comic book genre the good ole traditional way: studio executive interference.

:panic: :panic: :panic:

Doubt he'd step in for a 2015 movie but I'd love to see him roll out when Dr Strange does.
ugo-defenders.jpg

Wright's quirky superhero pic made the studio's Kevin Feige nervous as a dispute over script changes and key crew exits leave a 2015 release date in question.

After the abrupt May 23 exit of Edgar Wright, the geek-favorite filmmaker behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, from Marvel Studios' long-gestating Ant-Man movie, the studio has insisted the Paul Rudd film will be finished in time to make its July 17, 2015, release date.
But while a source close to the studio says a search for a new director is underway, some observers believe Marvel president Kevin Feige will have a hard time pulling together the risky film in such a short time frame.
The challenges are clear in finding a director who can pick up a project infused with Wright's vision for years. In addition, sources say the film's key crew -- its heads of departments -- departed when it became clear production would not begin as scheduled July 28. Rudd's reps say he's still in, and a source close to the production says all key crew positions will be filled shortly.
PHOTOS: 'X-Men's' Ellen Page: Her Career in Pictures

Wright, 40, is an irreverent British filmmaker, and sources say Marvel had been unhappy with his take on Ant-Man for weeks. Originally set to begin shooting June 2, the production had been put on hiatus while Feige ordered revisions of the script that was co-written by Wright and Joe Cornish. According to sources, Wright had been willing to make revisions earlier in the process. But the new rewrites took place without Wright's input, and when he received Marvel's new version early during the week of May 19, he walked, prompting a joint statement announcing his exit "due to differences in their visions of the film."

The move came as a shock because Wright had been working on the project -- about a scientist who can shrink to the size of an ant -- since 2006. Feige told MTV in 2013 that Wright's vision "is the only reason we're making the movie." But Marvel and Wright were different entities when they began their relationship. Marvel was an upstart, independent and feisty as it began building the Marvel Studios brand with the first two Iron Man films and Captain America: The First Avenger.

Now owned by Disney, Marvel has established itself as a reliable maker of hits. Feige essentially is the showrunner on $150 million episodes in a Marvel universe that expands in phases. The company "Marvel-izes" its projects, as a source with ties to the company puts it. That sometimes leads to clashes with filmmakers who have strong points of view, as Kenneth Branagh found during the making of Thor. He did not return for the sequel, nor did Joe Johnston for Captain America. Patty Jenkins, who directed the 2003 Charlize Theron hit Monster, was hired for Thor 2 then fired. Edward Norton clashed with Marvel during post on The Incredible Hulk and was replaced by Mark Ruffalo for the character's return in The Avengers. Terrence Howard similarly was replaced by Don Cheadle in the Iron Man sequels. And on May 24, Drew Goddard was replaced as showrunner by Steven S. DeKnight on Marvel's upcoming Netflix series Daredevil (though Goddard is working on Sony's Marvel movie Sinister Six).

"Kevin Feige [and his top lieutenants] run Marvel with a singularity of vision, but when you take a true auteur and throw him into the mix, this is what you get," says a source. "They don't want you to speak up too much or have too much vision. People who have never worked there don't understand how they operate, but if you trust them, they have an amazing track record."

Ant-Man's tone might have been too quirky for the Marvel universe. Insiders say Marvel feels it already might have gone outside its comfort zone with August's Guardians of the Galaxy, a space adventure heavy on odd humor and featuring a talking raccoon. In 2011, Sony's similarly comic The Green Hornet with Seth Rogen failed to launch the franchise for which the studio hoped.

Wright declined comment, but he tweeted, then deleted, the word "selfie," followed by a sad-faced Buster Keaton holding a Cornetto ice cream cone (Wright's trio of genre movies is known as the Cornetto trilogy). Keaton famously lost his independence after his ambitious 1926 film The General didn't perform well. He took a job at MGM, which he later called the worst decision of his life. Avengers director Joss Whedon also tweeted a photo of himself appearing dejected and seeming to salute Wright with a Cornetto.

Wright's first studio experience also was fraught. He directed 2010's acclaimed Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which bombed for Universal, grossing $31.5 million domestically. Now his second studio film has been taken away. James Gunn, director of Guardians, might have said it best. He wrote on Facebook that Wright and Marvel "just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way."

In 2011, Sony's similarly comic The Green Hornet with Seth Rogen failed to launch the franchise for which the studio hoped.
Cuz it was a disgusting puke of a movie, an insult to old school characters.
Some people must not talk about CBM if they don't know **** about the material.

James Gunn might have said it best.
He wrote on Facebook that Wright and Marvel "just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way."
Exactly.
If you're not ready to work for a big studio with big $ better not even try.

I agree but they're writing that within the context of an investor-executive who only cares about money, not art.

To that executive, Transformers are the best movies ever made.

The context is always there.
Producers are not saints with endless supply of budget, any director should know that and be ready to work things out.

And that Green Hornet example is beyond stupid since the project was doomed to begin with.

It's funny that it comes down to script differences and how the director and company have different visions. Under current Marv-Dis rule, Iron Man 1 wouldn't have been made and it's arguably responsible for the success they're enjoying now.

It's funny that it comes down to script differences and how the director and company have different visions. Under current Marv-Dis rule, Iron Man 1 wouldn't have been made and it's arguably responsible for the success they're enjoying now.
I don't know about that. Iron Man 1 was quirky and different in its way, but Favreau is no Edgar Wright. The latter is an auteur with a very specific, and very odd style and approach. But having said that, Ant-Man probably would have been attempted back in '07 or so, since that was when the plan was put together, and I think there is a definite change from a new, risky creative endeavor (i.e., Marvel Studios 5 years ago) to one that has a lot of vested financial interests and expectations attached (i.e., Marvel Studios today). I'm reminded of those Geico lizard commercials, which were initially so offbeat and funny. Now they're totally stupid and inane riffs on the original commercials, probably for the same reason.

You missed the point of my then to now comparison. Now, they part ways over a script. IM1 has been reported by many of its stars as well as director to not have a script. That's a hell of a difference. We first heard of the heavy hand of Marvel with IM2 and them asking for continuing changes to build their subplot, which was odd as hell, because at the top of filming everyone including Fav, thought he was going to be doing Avengers.

Still, it's a question of the changing nature of studio vs. directorial control, for the purpose of keeping movies somewhat mainstream, and of course, connected for the next "event."

It'll happen. Unless they book a director quick that'll run with Wright's original vision, which doesn't seem to be occurring, there isn't a way to put this together without one. From what I can gather, this film was supposed to run like Iron Man 2 and shoehorn in a bunch of characters to kick off Phase 3 and Wright said **** that especially after large rewrites shoehorned scenes for it occur. There isn't anything much other than that. The reports of it being too quirky or anything of the like is bull, they had Wright on this film for so long if it were a problem along those routes, they'd parted ways a long time before.

I trust Feige. Other than Iron Man 2 (which had it's moments of greatness), the other films have been good even The Incredible Hulk which I still like. They have the track record for me not to Chicken Little and I'm just psyched that chances are being taken on things like Guardians of the Galaxy and hopefully it does well and we get more Marvel in Space.

It just isn't Hollywood without conflict.

Even the "smoothly made" movies have horror stories attached to them.

Its like Canada, its only news when it doesn't snow. :lol

EW knows this, they all know this.

My godamn grandmother knows this.

meh, hire another director and heads of.production.

If the movie sucks, it sucks. If its great, its great.

Then again I could be wrong. :lol

Last edited:
Back