American Sniper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saw it, thought it was rather drawn out and seemed almost boring in some parts......decent flick, not great or Oscar worthy though.

Ending was......well paralyzing to say the least...

What's funny now is if you didn't like the movie and say anything about it, you're against the vets, a gun hater, or you're un-American.

Can't believe this movie made $90 million over the weekend. I watched it and just thought it was mediocre. Too much cliche stuff we've all seen in other soldier films. "The Hurt Locker" was better for me overall. The character of Chris Kyle, wasn't very complex, more sides to the character could've been shown instead of just him being portrayed as an undaunted hero. I thought it was going to be a character study but it didnt go deeper than the his "legend" status. The scenes at home were dull and there was way too much Hollywood melodrama in a number of scenes,such as his phone call with his wife once he finds out he's having a boy and his call of "I'm ready to come home" all the tv spots are showing.
The real Kyle said some pretty outrageous stuff and made some larger than life claims but the film kept him pretty squeaky clean and heroic even. Very average film, that shouldn't received a Best Picture or Best actor nomination.

Saw it a month ago and it was okay, but definitely not worthy of the 105 million opening! That was nuts. Also not Oscar worthy. Cooper was good, but not his best work. Clint directed a nice movie, but not a memorable one. It's a real mystery why it did so well this weekend. If you're looking for something along these lines to watch that's worthy, I'd easily recommend "Black Hawk Down" and "Jarhead." Both great contemporary military films. "Hurt Locker" and "Zero Dark Thirty" were also solid movies.

I guess I'm not terribly surprised it made a ton of money this weekend. The general public loves Bradley Cooper and 'Merica--throw in Clint Eastwood directing and all that equals $$$ and award nominations. This movie could have had Eastwood setting up a stationary cam to film Bradley Cooper in a uniform just sitting in a blind eating cheeseburgers and singing the national anthem for 90 minutes and it would have won the weekend box office. Everyone has to prove their patriotism by liking this movie. Any objective criticism means you hate the good 'ole U S of A.

Depends on what you like. I saw the movie and thought it was very good, liked it a lot. On the other hand I saw the latest Hobbit movie and couldn't wait for it to end, thought it was boring. You won't know until you see it yourself.

What's funny now is if you didn't like the movie and say anything about it, you're against the vets, a gun hater, or you're un-American.

There is a difference in constructive criticism and being a pig of a human being like Michael Moore.

There is a difference in constructive criticism and being a pig of a human being like Michael Moore.

I wasn't even talking about him, but people in general. Reading message boards about it, you dare not critisize it.

Last edited:
I don't deny we Americans have that patriotic force, but I enjoy these films as different experiences. I really liked Lone Survivor, and Fury was phenomenal to me. Unbroken was incredible, and I will have to see this later this week. However, I am never a fan of just a generic event that many go on the daily. I never liked Jarhead, and Black Hawk Down to me is terrible. I like Saving Private Ryan due to the authenticity of the action. Truly catches the atrocities in those days. I will gladly take a person dealing with emotional and psychological issues. It has a sense of reality and brings forth a message. My ex brother-in-law had PTSD and never really went in for it. I can see how he had to deal with a lot of those issues. I'm sure this film will be good, for me, but I can understand these things people go with due to popularity. Yup, Cooper plus Eastwood plus "war hero" plus guns equals big money. Sad, but true.

I'm going to reopen this thread.

Please stick to discussing the movie and leave all talk about politics and religion out of here.

Just a reminder, from the Board Community Guidelines:

E. Controversial Topics (Religion and Politics). Because they are so detrimental to the cohesion of any community, we do not allow the discussion of political/religious views, religious/political figures, or social issues that will inevitably draw members into a heated debate (e.g Evolution/Creationism or the politics behind gun control, abortion, etc). It is unrealistic to believe that a religious or political viewpoint won’t work its way onto the site in some fashion (e.g mentioning you will pray for a sick member). It is important to remember that the purpose of this policy is not to limit your ability to express your beliefs but to limit the division often caused by discussing/debating differing points of view regarding these subjects.

The fake baby was a casualty of war.

jSG8EV3.gif

I like Cooper, but I'm an Eastwood fan, through and through, so, I'll definitely try to see this. Men are not infallible, and neither was Chris Kyle. A hero to some, a villain to others; at the end of the day, he was a man, and this film is based on a book from his perspective, so, there's bound to be some bias. I think Leonard Maltin said it best, when there was the big controversy over Argo and the way it marginalized the Canadian Prime Minister's importance to the plan: "don't get your history from the movies." At the end of the day, it's entertainment."

Back