American Mcgee's Alice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've just beaten the original American Mcgee's Alice game last night and boy was this thing challenging! Crappy controls mixed with the fact that when you eventually die from falling a million times, then having to start at the very beginning of the level makes for a pretty intense/ insane play though to say the least. Lol

Anyways, I loved every minute of it! Being able to die at any given second in the level, gave me the thrilling nightmarish feeling of the game atmosphere. I for one will never forget this gaming experience.

Okay, now I'm off to try and play Alice: madness returns tonight. :rock

It's funny cause aside from the aforementioned steam level I don't remember it being very hard. Challenging most likely but I don't remember screaming at my screen like I would in a Castlevania game :p

Very curious to hear your thought on the sequel.

It's funny cause aside from the aforementioned steam level I don't remember it being very hard. Challenging most likely but I don't remember screaming at my screen like I would in a Castlevania game :p

Very curious to hear your thought on the sequel.

Funny you should say that. I actually didn't have any problems with steam levels (floating on the steam). It was mostly the water levels and lava levels. Missing an easy jump due to crappy controls and the fact that a lot of the enemies love to push/attack you forcing you into the water instantly killing you. Some levels you could actually swim in the water, but then you would be attacked by those damn monster fish (hate those lil' buggers). I had no problems with killing card guards or bosses, etc. or doing the puzzles. I kinda wished they were more of them in this game.

Anyways, challenging would be the word I would use to describe this game and despite my problem with the controls, I still loved the game. It was worth my $9.99.

I do admit though. I did find myself screaming and cussing at the screen when it would lag or glitch on me, causing me to die for no reason. My girlfriend would hear me going off in the other room and then she would just laugh her *** off! Damn, woman. :lol

:lol
My wife would say "yes dear, it's just a game"

My girlfriend too! Haha

Anyways, so I've played a lil' bit of Alice: madness returns last night and its really fun! I love the combos and new weapons and upgrades. I Like searching for memories, snouts and whatnots. The 'shrink sense' reminds me of Batman's detective mode in AA and AC. The helpful writings/graffiti on the walls is a nice touch. The music isn't as great as the original Alice game though. Not as creepy this time around. The environment is never boring. Always something weird and interesting to look at. Love the costumes and definitely love the triple jump and float moves she has now. No more missed jumps for me! :lol

What I don't like so far is Cheshire cats voice. It's sounds different and doesn't really match the character IMO. Other than that I can't really say anything bad about it yet. Although, I've only really played through the first chapter so I have to wait and see what's next. I'll be playing a lil' more again tonight after work.

The Cheshire Cat just doesn't have any cool lines in AMR. He's much cooler in AMA.

That's disappointing since he's the highlight of the original. If you have the OST you know them.

"it like a seringe of adrenaline straight to the heart"
"the kitchen is especially disturbing if you can stand the vile stench"
"a playing deck is all fun and games but when the card slices and dices, it's no laughing matter"

How is the music on AMR? I was so disappointed that Vrenna didn't return.

The music isn't that memorable, nor does it give off the same creepy/ scary vide as the original game music did IMO.

You're right, it's really not memorable at all. AMA had real world sound effects like the xylophone or whatever they used and it made it creepy and borderline spine tingling with its repetition. I need to play AMR again. It was a pretty game. Some of the levels got too long and weren't varied enough. The doll level seemed to drag on a bit. At least they changed the environment a little as the levels progressed.

Well I caved in and bought American Mcgee's Alice and what a waste of money and time that was. Hate the game hate the controls hate the mechanics hate the visuals only thing I liked was the musical score. I have not swore so much playing a game like I have with AMAlice. this game is painful to play and teidius. I would rather sit on a rusted nail then play that crap. it would be less painful. for starters sometimes I get stuck in a wall and would have to start the map again or from my last save game. the controls have a mind of their own and sometimes the game just feels like moving forward or on it's own plunging me to my death, spamming the fore button depleting my mana or the controller just doesn't work anymore even the playstation button doesn't respond. so I get raped my enemies.

second game looks nice but after you fall in wonderland the game just won't load anything so I can't even play the goddamn thing what a joke. my life sucks GOD HATES ME.

Lol, I feel yah on the random glitches and plunging to your death for no good reason part. Thank god madness returns had way better controls.

Overall: I've actually enjoyed both games. Passed the first one and platinum'd madness returns. The sequel is a breeze if you already played the first one.

Well I caved in and bought American Mcgee's Alice and what a waste of money and time that was. Hate the game hate the controls hate the mechanics hate the visuals only thing I liked was the musical score. I have not swore so much playing a game like I have with AMAlice. this game is painful to play and teidius. I would rather sit on a rusted nail then play that crap. it would be less painful. for starters sometimes I get stuck in a wall and would have to start the map again or from my last save game. the controls have a mind of their own and sometimes the game just feels like moving forward or on it's own plunging me to my death, spamming the fore button depleting my mana or the controller just doesn't work anymore even the playstation button doesn't respond. so I get raped my enemies.

second game looks nice but after you fall in wonderland the game just won't load anything so I can't even play the goddamn thing what a joke. my life sucks GOD HATES ME.

Wait you're play Alice on consoles?

Just wanted to share some (not so great) pics of my recent purchases. :wave

Despite all the flaws of these Alice games, I still loved playing them. So I went out and found me some Alice related merchandise.

4 of my favorite characters from the game. Hater, Rabbit, Alice (goth exclusive w/ glow in the dark Cheshire) and Caterpillar. Figures are from the original game.

5B8FC753-3275-4630-ABA4-11AC502C0252-943-00000142C89951AB_zpsb9c2d1f2.jpg

I also found a very nicely discounted, 1/1 scale Vorpal blade from Alice: madness returns w/stand. Detailing on the Vorpal blade is incredible! Real metal too. Made by epic weapons.

F5FBA994-530C-4CFA-8616-4A1D7AA2ED2E-943-00000142D94937E3_zps52a26653.jpg

I also bought the limited edition Alice:madness returns art book. :rock

Last edited:
the problem I'm having with madness is that the second level never loads. I got to the point in the game where Alice falls through the floor thu a tunnel that leads to wonderland, then it loads the next map. the loading screen never ends even after half hr. even restarted the whole game..nothing just a load screen. don't know what to do. a friend lent me the game so I can't take it back to a store.

oh playa7 nice collection how much did ya pay for those things and where's the card guards and the odd twins dumble dum or what ever their names are?

oh playa7 nice collection how much did ya pay for those things and where's the card guards and the odd twins dumble dum or what ever their names are?

Thanks!

I picked those 4 off of eBay. Luckily, for about $25-$30 a piece. The Vorpal blade was around $60 I think? And the art book was like $19.

I didn't get any of the card guards, b/c those were way over priced $100+ for a random pair. So it's even harder to get all the suits, b/c they're packaged randomly.:slap Tweedle Dee and Dum I had no interest for actually. I mean they looked kinda cool but, I didn't see them all much in the game. And the Jabawocky figure doesn't even look like how his is in the actual game. They made the Jabawocky sculpt off of the concept art. So the figure looks totally different than what is actually in the game. :cuckoo:

Anyways, sorry to hear about the loading issues you've been having. I would've been pissed too!

yaa more like dissapointed. I own the game on pc, got it for $5 but my PC is too ****ty to run it. did ya get the Femme Fatales Alice Diamond Select recently put out? seeing the Royal guard Alice gives me hope well see more variants for Card Guards like the hearts in red.

I was actually gonna pick that up as soon as I get back from my trip. More variants would be nice as well. I'd probably pick up a few of those also.

Despite all the flaws of these Alice games, I still loved playing them. So I went out and found me some Alice related merchandise.

4 of my favorite characters from the game. Hater, Rabbit, Alice (goth exclusive w/ glow in the dark Cheshire) and Caterpillar. Figures are from the original game.

I also found a very nicely discounted, 1/1 scale Vorpal blade from Alice: madness returns w/stand. Detailing on the Vorpal blade is incredible! Real metal too. Made by epic weapons.

That knife replica is awesome. I need to pick up the art book myself.

Thanks biojex! It is awesome!

I got my book from amazon. They're still in stock (just a few left iirc). I got mine at their sale price. You should hurry while they still have copies. 182 pages and hard cover for around $20.

Last edited:

Nice! I have most of those figures but I'm missing White Rabbit and Tweedles.
The Card Guards are actually AMR merchandise so I haven't gotten them yet but they're so iconic I may have too.

BTW the Hatter is a pain to stand up straight!

Back