Am I an idiot?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently sold almost all of my HT figure earlier this year mostly b/c I was focusing my collection and needed money. A few I plan on buying back once my new Job gets underway.

But anyway, like most have said buy what you like. Sell it if you lose interest. Someone is always going to want it if you don't anymore. It is tough to get amped up for a new figure especially when being a part of this community (not that it's a bad thig at all) and most say it's a must have and such and you buy into the hype. That's where I messed up. Started buying other HT b/c they looked good not b/c I cared about the character, which can really set you back some $$$ for potential figures you like more. My only advice is to try not to lose control on spending; buy what you like but buy smart especially if you're like me and ony have a certain amount of expendable income set aside for this hobby

Thanks guys for all the advice and humor it means a lot coming from fellow collectors, this is why I love this board so much! People can understand the mutual love most of us have for these characters and realize this hobby is a way to express that!

I'm in the same situation as you bro. I just started in January. Bought the Batman Begins w/ Bale HS. Now I am up to six HOT TOYS and have a few more on PO. Do what makes you happy and don't let your GF stress you out. There's pleanty of fish in the sea, so drop her like a bad habit if she continues to complain.

Oh and I hope they do make a Michael Keaton HS for the next Batman Returns DX figure.

Back in Feb. this year I started collecting Hot Toys, I said I would limit myself to just Batman since he is my all time favorite superhero. Since then I bought a Bank robber Joker, Scarecrow, Two-Face, Keaton Batman and had pre-ordered Jack Joker. I cancelled that pre-order and I am now selling these so that I can have more variety in my hot toys superhero collection. As you all know all of these figure hold their value really well so I am not really losing any money. Once I sale all of these I plan to get a Return Keaton hopefully with a Keaton head sculpt, TDKR Batman, a spiderman probably traditional Toby red suit unless I just love the new Spidey film, Avengers Iron man and Cap, and hopefully a Wolverine next Summer when the new movie hits. Keep in mind I am not broke, but have a limited budget, and my GF already hates that I buy these incredible figures already. So did I make the right choice to end my Batman collection to broaden my horizons? Have any of you guys ever sold figs to get other figs if so I would love to hear!
I sell figures to fund other figures all the time; in fact every figure I've bought in the last two years has been funded by the sale of another, so continuing this hobby hasn't cost me anything for a while now. Part if it is because I get tired of figures - especially when Hot Toys comes out with a newer better version, and the other part is that I don't want a collection that overpowers a room.

If the figures drive your girlfriend crazy it would probably be wise to follow suit :wink1:

Thanks guys for all the advice and humor it means a lot coming from fellow collectors, this is why I love this board so much! People can understand the mutual love most of us have for these characters and realize this hobby is a way to express that!
One thing to remember is that coming to us for collection vs girlfriend advice is kind of like going to a bar to see what the regular alcoholics think about your girlfriend having strong feelings about your excessive drinking :wink1:

Last edited:
While this thread has helped me out a lot. I am honestly considering rebuying the Scarecrow and Keaton Bats and re ordering the Jack Joker. what a viscous cycle. I can't decide what I want right now!

Back in Feb. this year I started collecting Hot Toys, I said I would limit myself to just Batman since he is my all time favorite superhero. Since then I bought a Bank robber Joker, Scarecrow, Two-Face, Keaton Batman and had pre-ordered Jack Joker. I cancelled that pre-order and I am now selling these so that I can have more variety in my hot toys superhero collection. As you all know all of these figure hold their value really well so I am not really losing any money. Once I sale all of these I plan to get a Return Keaton hopefully with a Keaton head sculpt, TDKR Batman, a spiderman probably traditional Toby red suit unless I just love the new Spidey film, Avengers Iron man and Cap, and hopefully a Wolverine next Summer when the new movie hits. Keep in mind I am not broke, but have a limited budget, and my GF already hates that I buy these incredible figures already. So did I make the right choice to end my Batman collection to broaden my horizons? Have any of you guys ever sold figs to get other figs if so I would love to hear!

Yeah I sold figures to get other figures. It was painful for me to prioritize and sell them: had about 30 HT figures and now end up with 7. Charity Ver. Vito Corleone and RPD Leon are the ones I really miss after letting them go (check my ebay id *ayumiwill and you will see how much Vito was sold for). My main focus on HT now is to collect Keaton and Bale Batman productions. I also bid Cool Girl/Obitsu figures from Yahoo Japan and I weigh them more than HT figures.

I have found that you really have to think long term when deciding whether to buy or not from Hot Toys. What with their preorders and reissues and DXs and now 2.0s. And there's always a new movie which causes a new version to come out. Sounds like your strategy to diversify is sound. But I will add, as a collector who has been at it for 6 years now, rotating my display figures is key. I keep most of my figures in storage at all time and display maybe 7 or so at a time. Sometimes its all Predators, other times its Batman villians, or maybe it's superheroes or the like. Keaps things fresh for the eyes and it brings back a little of the magic each time I bring an old one out.

One thing to remember is that coming to us for collection vs girlfriend advice is kind of like going to a bar to see what the regular alcoholics think about your girlfriend having strong feelings about your excessive drinking :wink1:

:goodpost:

It does get worse.

I started out with the Hot Toys IM MKIII, now my pre-orders are like spinning plates. Not to mention I've just started with statues.:slap

Good luck:wave

I don't want a collection that overpowers a room.

:goodpost:

That, even beyond money, is the reason I have a small collection. I am a neat freak, and if a piece doesn't vibe with my set-up or I start having too many to the point of clutter, stuff goes on the chopping block. Right now, I'm trying to limit myself to progressions only (with Hot Toys) —Iron Man marks, Cap suits.

After a lot of thought as soon as I get the $ for selling Scarecrow and Keaton bats the first time I'M ordering them both again. I am sticking with what I Love Batman regardless of What the girlfriend thinks! My question now is do you think I have time to wait for the $ to get here from paypal over the next month? Or should I just go ahead and reorder now? Will Keaton Bats and Scarecrow be around for the next month at reasonable prices?

After a lot of thought as soon as I get the $ for selling Scarecrow and Keaton bats the first time I'M ordering them both again. I am sticking with what I Love Batman regardless of What the girlfriend thinks! My question now is do you think I have time to wait for the $ to get here from paypal over the next month? Or should I just go ahead and reorder now? Will Keaton Bats and Scarecrow be around for the next month at reasonable prices?
I'm sorry, but if you sold figures why don't you have the money from the sale? Why is it going to take another month to get your money from Paypal?

I'm sorry, but if you sold figures why don't you have the money from the sale? Why is it going to take another month to get your money from Paypal?

Good question sent both items out immediately with tracking info., but I am a brand new Ebay seller so I am have 21 day waiting period before I can access my funds even though I have shipped and my buyers have paid. Seeing as how you may be an Ebay vet. I have a question? I sent the Keaton Bats international to Mexico, and once it left the U.S the tracking info. quit working. I have been in constant contact with the buyer and he isn't worried at all because this always happens to orders sent to Mexico and it can take up to 4 weeks he says so far it has been 2 weeks. Well Paypal says my funds for that sale will be available Saturday. So will I be able to get those funds even if he hasn't confirmed receiving the item how does this work? Sorry I am such a newb. when selling on Ebay I am an established buyer just a new seller, so it is just an honest question. I would be thankful for any info. you guys have!

if she doesnt like what you do or really like than tell her to go headbutt a knife because you both should appreciate and respect each other and what you like&do. p.s jokes about the kinife thing

Back