Am I an idiot?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in Feb. this year I started collecting Hot Toys, I said I would limit myself to just Batman since he is my all time favorite superhero. Since then I bought a Bank robber Joker, Scarecrow, Two-Face, Keaton Batman and had pre-ordered Jack Joker. I cancelled that pre-order and I am now selling these so that I can have more variety in my hot toys superhero collection. As you all know all of these figure hold their value really well so I am not really losing any money. Once I sale all of these I plan to get a Return Keaton hopefully with a Keaton head sculpt, TDKR Batman, a spiderman probably traditional Toby red suit unless I just love the new Spidey film, Avengers Iron man and Cap, and hopefully a Wolverine next Summer when the new movie hits. Keep in mind I am not broke, but have a limited budget, and my GF already hates that I buy these incredible figures already. So did I make the right choice to end my Batman collection to broaden my horizons? Have any of you guys ever sold figs to get other figs if so I would love to hear!

Haven't sold any figures yet, but I'm pretty much at my limit for space, so I plan to start selling figures I'm less in love with to make more room for grail figures. And I can see getting to a point where the hobby more-or-less funds itself with this buy/sell rotation.

I guess it depends on the kind of collector you are. I used to be a completest when it came to collecting and it became more obsession than enjoyment. This time around I decided to only buy what I enjoy..that's it. I have 8 Hot Toys...all Batman and Predator related. I plan on picking up the Joker 89 and the New City Hunter Predator and that will be it for 2012 (unless the TDKR stuff comes out before that, but I aint holding my breath)

I've sold figures, but generally only if I was unhappy with them or just didn't need them. If you're enjoying them keep them.

Keep in mind I am not broke, but have a limited budget, and my GF already hates that I buy these incredible figures already. So did I make the right choice to end my Batman collection to broaden my horizons? Have any of you guys ever sold figs to get other figs if so I would love to hear!

Well..the problem with broadening your collecting horizons is that there is potentially no end to what you could find yourself buying. If you have discipline and stick to one thing that you really really love then you can buy everything from that one thing and hopefully not get too carried away. You won't have a very diverse collection but who says everyones collection has to be diverse? Again, diversity is nice but where would it end? There'll always be something else that would make your collection even more diverserer! (Yes I know thats not a word) You could find yourself endlessly buying new things and eventually perhaps you will be broke. So theres something to be said for a collector like Intothevoid who, far as I can tell, sticks solely to Batman with a particular focus on the Nolan films.

I guess I'm saying I think you've taken a risky course. Kinda the opposite to what I personally have been trying to do.

I've sold figures, but generally only if I was unhappy with them or just didn't need them. If you're enjoying them keep them.

Same for me. Buying a figure, keeping it for a while and selling off for new figures isn't really Collecting in my view.

Good for you on getting variety in your collection DevilinthePaleMoonlite :clap

Its a personal thing. It all depends on what you want and how you collect. I am a completist. I don't think I could sell mine unless forced to for some reason. But thats me. Like Nova and Niltusk said, they sell figures to buy others all the time. It what they like to do.

Just find out what works for you

Well..the problem with broadening your collecting horizons is that there is potentially no end to what you could find yourself buying. If you have discipline and stick to one thing that you really really love then you can buy everything from that one thing and hopefully not get too carried away. You won't have a very diverse collection but who says everyones collection has to be diverse? Again, diversity is nice but where would it end? There'll always be something else that would make your collection even more diverserer! (Yes I know thats not a word) You could find yourself endlessly buying new things and eventually perhaps you will be broke. So theres something to be said for a collector like Intothevoid who, far as I can tell, sticks solely to Batman with a particular focus on the Nolan films.

I guess I'm saying I think you've taken a risky course. Kinda the opposite to what I personally have been trying to do.

A-dev all very good points in a way I am just limiting myself to just Superheros, no villains(The reason being while it is awesome to have Villain figures, I feel that having a hero from that particular story gives you a better representation of that universe for example if you love Cap yeah the Red Skull fig. is awesome but the Cap. figure alone is enough to represent your love for that character especially if you are on a limited budget). I can only seeing myself loving a few characters enough to spend $200-$300 dollars on:Batman, Spidey, Iron Man, Cap, Wolverine, and maybe Thor or Hulk. So for me it is just as a controlled environment as just collecting Batman.

Cool. I was basically making an argument on my own behalf there which I thought might also speak to you given what you talked about in your opening post.

I tried to branch out from my main collecting interests with the TDK line and tried being a completist there (including villains and vehicles). It led on to other superheroes and some other non-fantastical characters. Its all just too much for me though on my budget. I now find myself selling a whole bunch of it. For me, selling is a necessary evil. If I had known I would have to sell I would have reconsidered buying in the first place. In some cases its because the pieces still look really cool to me, making it hard to come to the decision to sell, while in the rest of the cases its an easier decision. Either way I find myself wishing I hadn't bought it in the first place, I wish I'd been realistic, set limits and stuck to them. Then perhaps I wouldn't find myself in a tough spot now at all.

edit - wow too much use of 'find myself'. Feck it I'm not editing again.

Last edited:
I see A-dev already posted my POV for me :yess:

:lol

But to each his own - whatever give you the most satisfaction for your budget is what you should go for

I don't get why people need reassurance that they are buying/collecting the right thing. No one can tell you what you should like/not like

So as long as you like everything in your collection, who cares what others think

I'd never sell any of my figures.

nevah.jpg

Unless a new and improved version of the same figure was released of course...

Back