Alligator grabs two year old at Disney World

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose they could just keep to themselves. But for disney the much better choice is to show the world what youre doing so this never happens again. I guess from disney's perspective it's the world's business if you want to keep families coming. You dont think ppl are home right now rethinking that family vacation? Maybe the Grand Canyon is getting a second look. So Disney has to SHOW the world that its safer than ever. And that means DOING things that ppl can see: showing the new signs, new patrol boats, more consumer education. Trust has been broken. Seaworld had to change its policies and mount an ad campaign after the orca scandal. Wouldnt be surprised if you saw tthe same thing here.
Nope people won't be changing their plans. Will they maybe hang out on the beach at night sure. This is much different than the Seaworld issue, the orca show is one of its biggest is not its biggest attraction.

As a child, I read voraciously about reptiles and dinosaurs (due to my name). And maybe one of our Australian members can chime in, but I believe Australians know NOT to go near any body of water after dark. Australia is home to salt water crocodiles, the largest of their kind, and nocturnal hunters. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe alligators hunt at night as well. But again, a family from Nebraska coming to Disney for a summer vacation would have no reason to worry about this.

There are crocs everywhere up north. Clear, unambiguous signs everywhere too, oddly enough:

ANTr282.jpg

ADar301.jpg

crocodile_sign.jpg

this sign seems the most important to have. pretty freaking clear no matter what language you speak

ADar301.jpg

this sign seems the most important to have. pretty freaking clear no matter what language you speak

ADar301.jpg

You have pointed to a language barrier several times. These people were from Nebraska and this was the first attack at Disney in what? 46 years or something like that? Yes it's tragic and just plain terrible, but at the same time no one wants any personal responsibility anymore. Everything is someone else's fault.

Yeah, we get it!

They were totally irresponsible. Surprised they're even bothered their two year old was drowned by an Alligator. :cuckoo:

I mean, who would of thought that manmade beach with sunloungers and events going on was unsafe for children to go anywhere near the water.

Yeah, we get it!

They were totally irresponsible. Surprised they're even bothered their two year old was drowned by an Alligator. :cuckoo:

I mean, who would of thought that manmade beach with sunloungers and events going on was unsafe for children to go anywhere near the water.

Of course you have to go to the extreme.

I mean who would think that no swimming signs don't mean just go on in.

Who said a fence wouldn't be effective?
At least they can't hide is the water flowers and pounce.

Good to see they're taking steps to keep visitors safe.
Shame it took the tragic death of a innocent child.

Sounds like admittance of insufficient signage...

Disney has “No Swimming” signs posted throughout the park, but none of the signs specifically warn of gators in the area.

Since the incident, Disney has said they will add signs warning guests about alligators. “We are conducting a swift and thorough review of all of our processes and protocols,” Disney World Resort Vice President Jacquee Wahler said in a statement shared by CNN. “This includes the number, placement and wording of our signage and warnings.”

Who said a fence wouldn't be effective?
At least they can't hide is the water flowers and pounce.

Good to see they're taking steps to keep visitors safe.
Shame it took the tragic death of a innocent child.

That fence is not going to stop a gator from grabbing a kid. That is rope run through poles to make it ever so slightly harder for people to enter the water.

Sounds to me like in light of the events and the outrage fine we will add sign since you all think that would have stopped the alligator.

As far as I know Gators can't read.
It will make people more aware of the danger, the whole purpose of warning signs.

I can't wait for the day someone up here gets run down by a moose and the state gets sued for not having "Don't Pet Moose" signs.

Does Florida have alligator crossing signs on the roadsides?

If you know or should know that there are dangerous animals on your property (or any other traps, dangerous conditions, etc.) and you take money in exchange for people coming onto the property (known in legal speak as a "business invitee") then you are liable when that animal/hazard injures that invitee. That's the legal duty you owe to people you invite onto the property.

An adequate warning sign might have altered the equation but that's been talked about to death.

Back