ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much got this for the revised Steeljaw mold. The others will be displayed in cassette mode as I always have repaints in their alt modes to complement the original figures in their bot modes. Here's hoping this really is a teaser for an official MP Blaster soon!

20180110_212014_008b.jpg

This movie masterpiece series just keeps getting better and better; opinions on the movie aesthetics aside, it's remarkable how close to the CGI model this new Ironhide figure is considering that it actually transforms. They even got his big dumb head & chunky kibbly legs right!

TRA_MP_Ironhide_02.jpg

transformers-blu-ray-1200.jpg

TRA_MP_Ironhide_04.jpg

I haven't heard much from Fanstoys in awhile. What's up with those guys? Where's their Blitzwing? I haven't even seen a proper, painted prototype.

they've been cranking out figures!
they recently finished up their omega supreme, kup, springer, and are close with arcee... not sure what's up w/ blitzwing. he was supposed to release over the summer??

Nothing that awesome to write home about, but not bad. The new Nightstalker (Steeljaw mold) is decent, but mine did come with a QC issue where one front paw was assembled in reverse. Will post up a closeup pic later to see if anyone can give me some advice to fix (not sure how to remove a pin of some sort that holds the paw in place but allows it to bend).

20180113_223306_002b.jpg

Here's my review of the recent Transformers Masterpiece MP-15/16E Cassettes. Nothing too earth-shattering to write home about really.

But the new Steeljaw mold is hopefully a hint of better things to come! Mine did have an incorrectly assembled front paw that I discuss, but hoping it's an easy fix.

Also called the Ratbat repaint "Wild Thing" through the whole review instead of "Wing Thing" Sorry about that LOL!!!

Masterpiece Sunstreaker

I've had this guy for a few weeks now but finally had a day to shoot some photos. Sunstreaker is hands-down the best carbot to date, and very reminiscent of MP-36 Megatron in terms of both cartoon accuracy but also his strong focus on articulation and display options; he can strike many poses and the interchangeable faces really help bring out the character. Transformation is solid, although I hate when parts like the hands have to go a very certain way for the transformation to work and it's not intuitively clear which way is correct. Several times I had to reference online videos to determine what was the correct way.

I'm really happy they went with strong chrome for the backpack; with the toon direction they could have just as likely done those parts in a dull white plastic. And the working doors, frunk & pop-up headlights are an incredible extra touch, not to mention the ability to tranform his car-mode between 'toon and real-world vehicle modes.

My only real gripe is the green windows; this is a thing that started with Masterpiece Ironhide and it looks like garbage. I get that someone at Takara-Tomy has it in their head that the Autobot windows looked blue in the cartoon, but that's because they were supposed to appear to be reflecting the sky. And even then, the car windows didn't look dark teal. They should have never abandoned the smoked glass used on Sideswipe and Prime, which is far far classier. Some 3rd party would do well to sell replacement windows for every carbot with teal-tinted windows!

And now those pics. Set 1 of 3:

DSC_0069.jpgDSC_0072.jpgDSC_0074.jpgDSC_0083.jpgDSC_0087.jpgDSC_0095.jpgDSC_0090.jpgDSC_0086.jpgDSC_0097.jpgDSC_0099.jpg

The reverse paw on Nightstalker was actually very easy to fix. The nubs on either side of the paw are pretty small, and there's a groove on one side of the foreleg that allows it to be removed fairly easily and then placed back in the right direction. Glad it was an easy fix lol!!

20180114_113441b.jpg

I'm a fan of the Ultimetal line. I'm a little worried about them reusing the mold again for this battle damaged version. It just makes me think they have not made enough money between the first release and the Magnus release. I want them to survive and just make the Megatron they showed off in 2013 and then I will be happy and feel good with three figures.

With all that said I have no interest in spending another 900 on this same mold. I wonder if these are just QC errors of the Clean version washed in battle damage fashion.

I opened and transformed Sunstreaker last night. His transformation is ridiculously complex, like Megatron was. At certain points I wasn't sure the instructions were right, then found out that they were, and I smiled in a bit of amazement that they could engineer such a thing. I cannot imagine trying to transform him without instructions. But the ultimate robot looks fantastic. The 3rd party versions of this guy never fully did it for me, but this figure hits all the right notes. I ultimately took his primary windshield off during transformation, as it was hard to get it flat enough to complete the last part of his transformation without potentially putting stress on that joint and piece. It is very cool how you can switch out the chrome on the back without doing any "parts swapping." And in fact, this is required if you want to transform him as the instructions tell you to. So, I ultimately did that part after he was 95% transformed into a robot! Some very minor scratching and bubbles/imperfections on the chrome. I'm not usually one to nitpick on painting imperfections, but this was easy to see.

I had some chrome issues on the rim of the Turbo intakes. Love the figure. As for the windshield transformation, I made a slow step by step transformation video of him and show how to do that without damaging it. Its at marker 19:33

Back