ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
took WAAAAAAY too long to have a jazz on my shelf!

working on some mods to mine, but so far love him and he really fits the bill!!

added some kfc hands and some blue lcovers for the lights.

better pictures to come, but he really looks the part!

Just got my Downbeat the other day. The name is sadly fitting. It looks great, but to me is a let down. Tabs don't 'click' into place leaving some parts and panels not as secure as I would like. Some of the hinges are thin and flimsy, and I can definitely say sliding panels are not my favorite. It looks the part, but just lacks the polish that an expensive figure should have.

Just got my Downbeat the other day. The name is sadly fitting. It looks great, but to me is a let down. Tabs don't 'click' into place leaving some parts and panels not as secure as I would like. Some of the hinges are thin and flimsy, and I can definitely say sliding panels are not my favorite. It looks the part, but just lacks the polish that an expensive figure should have.

doesn't feel any more flimsy than any of my other hastak car bots. panel sliding or shifting doesn't concern me as long as the modes look right... which to me this does. to each their own tho.

just fyi... the panel i think you are referring to (black leg panel i'm assuming) is an easy fix and is caused by flash from the factory. i found on mine the easy fix was to pop off that sliding rear window part with the black panel and rotate the black panel that won't tab in flush 180 degrees back and forth a couple time. this frees it up to fully rotate properly. then it will tab in and sit flush as its meant to... as seen in my pic below.

speculation of other jazz figures is out there... as it has been for years. but the current other offerings don't come close in my opinion. back of the car mode isn't perfect with the lower panel... (nothing is ever perfect anyway) but i can't think of a time where i display my stuff from the rear so it wasn't an issue for me at all. the rest of the car and bot modes are spot on in my opinion... so i'd be hard pressed to want to swap this out for something else. is it perfect? no. that doesn't remotely exist with these things. in the end... this more than satisfies my jazz itch that has been there for as long as i can remember!

From daca toys?

Who?

Yeah, this Jazz looks the part, but that backside on car mode is just VERY bad looking. Out of place.

MMC (already said their doing him) and Takara (highly likely)

The Swirly plastic feet,the fake Piece under the back tires scaping the ground,the backside (as you said),and the tabbing issues people keep complaining about are some of my knitpicks

Yea the swirly plastic is really cheap but the biggest disappointment for me are the ratcheting hip joints where he can either stand with legs together or in a really unnaturally looking wide stance but nothing in between. His head also looks tiny when compared to the other carbots around him. Downbeat will do for me for now until something better comes along. And I fully expect something better to come along.

@ Pro Design, I dunno maybe I was a little harsh on this Jazz out of the gate. With a few solid days of posing, transforming, and all around handling of the figure some of my reservations have faded.

My biggest initial down checks were the panels. That panel that doesn't want to tab on the right leg has been fixed. I didn't have mold flash like yours. It just turns out the tabs aren't stronger than the tightness of the hinge. Holding the panel firmly while trying to "fold" the rear windshield panel the opposite direction got it to lay flat/flush with the leg.

My other panel nitpick was the tabbing of the upper torso. Still not ideal, but making sure everything is properly aligned helps. Posing and transformation sessions also help. Turns out this figure actually needs a break in period for joints and hinges to function as intended.

Final nitpick is paint or lack thereof. Paint where applied is great. Paint not used where it could have been is a slight bummer. Downbeat doesn't need to drip with paint, but accents like those on the hood vents could go a long way.

The gray plastic. I don't hate it, and I actually think I know why they used it from a design stand point. Sure paint on the feet and shins would have been preferable. However, look at the abdomen. The sides are silver painted diecast and the center is the gray plastic. It blends fairly well for a region that will be shadowy anyways unless you have lights pointed UP at the figure. The gray shins could have been painted for sure. But then they wouldn't have matched the feet. And I'm pretty sure the feet weren't painted because they're attached via mushroom peg AND have a hinged heel. You paint the feet and due to their design you've now got paint wear, and a joint that will loosen over time.

To sum it up, I like Downbeat more after having time to digest it all. With no MP Jazz for the longest time the anticipation and expectation was too high. The figure is solid and looks great. The problem arose from where I personally set the bar. As a favorite toy and character as a kid it was hard to be objective.

yup a lot of this figure depends on getting everything lined up perfectly and solidly pushed together. the upper half can be a major pain if not done 100% correct... and those leg panels are annoying unless you move those black flaps back and forth a couple times to get them free to fully rotate around. fairly solid after all tabbed together perfectly.

i did do some mods to mine... added the mp27 KFC hands and designed a vinyl decal set for this headlights and his legs/feet... just my personal taste. but even stock honestly i love having him on my shelf and he looks so good there... totally happy with mine!

these are my first transformers figures in awhile and I couldn't be happier with them!

IMG_9662_zps8kr0vyjy.jpg
IMG_9650_zpshze2izbs.jpg
IMG_9677_zpse5u4tpdz.jpg
IMG_9675_zps1a7kvmqm.jpg
IMG_9697_zpsqnonb1rt.jpg
IMG_9691_zpsrkkmywzj.jpg

still waiting on gigapower snarl to arrive.

Storing all of these empty boxes takes up way too much space, so the quest to regain that space has begun! A great idea from other collectors was to simply throw out the clamshell inside, and keep the nice artbox folded up!

The idea works beautifully! I already have all the accessories taken out so the clamshells really were just a waste of space. And the boxes were already designed to be folded flat, which saves a lot of time. But if I ever want to check the box art, I still have it! Win-win :)

Done with all the smaller bots, now for the big ones to go! :)

IMG_2154b.jpg

It's the version from War For Cybertron, where he was the final level/boss. Don't know why Planet X made a picture of a black toy in a hunched pose with a black ground. :lol

war_for_cybertron_trypticon_by_homicide_crabs.jpg

c2498d69449d76b298368b3e31566a45.jpg

Very Nice work on Devastator. I did some light paint touch ups on mine and wanted to do more but I was afraid it might get too busy. However, you pulled it off very nicely and well balanced. Thanks for the photos.

Back