ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, why is MP Shockwave a disappointment?
For me, the pastel purple & poorly-executed finishing (matte grey instead of chrome/silver, light-piped eye that looks dull lime green most of the time) make him look super cheap and stand out like a sore thumb amongst other Masterpiece figures. Additionally, the thin hollow plastic that comprises the legs feels like what they make those cheap plastic easter eggs out of (the pastel purple color doesn't help in this regard). Couple all of that with a cost of $140, and yeah he's a disappointment to me.

Here's the Shockwave we got versus the one I wanted:

shockwave-mockup.jpg

Just got notice from Kapow that Despotron will be here in about 2 weeks!

I'm not impressed with FT-25 Outrider; so glad I've got the MMC one on PO. That's definitely my favourite of the 3P Trailbreaker figures on offer.

For me, the pastel purple & poorly-executed finishing (matte grey instead of chrome/silver, light-piped eye that looks dull lime green most of the time) make him look super cheap and stand out like a sore thumb amongst other Masterpiece figures. Additionally, the thin hollow plastic that comprises the legs feels like what they make those cheap plastic easter eggs out of (the pastel purple color doesn't help in this regard). Couple all of that with a cost of $140, and yeah he's a disappointment to me.

Here's the Shockwave we got versus the one I wanted:

View attachment 288973

I like him, but your digibash looks SOOO superior!!!

Quakewave was the superior Shockwave that we got. I also don't care for that darker grey Screamer either. I've always felt the Walmart exclusive was the better of the bunch.

I will be sticking with MMC for Trailbreaker & Hoist as I don't think FT will do any better.

MMC's designers have hit the same sweet spot that Hasui did for Takara and have been nailing every G1 character they've touched over the last few months.

I like having a couple of options per character but 4 different companies are now making Trailbreaker & Hoist which is kind of taking the piss, particularly when there's other characters with no MP scale figures yet.

I like him, but your digibash looks SOOO superior!!!
Thanks! Even just having Shockwave's grey bits be the same silver as Soundwave's would have made a huge difference.

Quakewave was the superior Shockwave that we got. I also don't care for that darker grey Screamer either. I've always felt the Walmart exclusive was the better of the bunch.
I was never a fan of the look of Quakewave. To me, he's always felt like a knock-off; you know who it's supposed to be, but everything about him is just a little bit wrong. I do think Takara-Tomy nailed the likeness/sculpt of Shockwave, but just blew it on colors and materials.

Waves.jpg

Valid points about Shockwave in regards to the paint. But quality and sculpt, still superior to Quakewave. I am not saying Quakewave is bad; before the Takara Shockwave, it was very impressive and got the colors right.

But that Despotron is looking very nice. Looks the besg out of all the MP Megatrons released.

It's interesting - for me I wasn't into Quakewave at all until I got him in hand. For some reason, he just didn't photograph well, but in person he is nothing short of fantastic. IMHO

Valid points about Shockwave in regards to the paint. But quality and sculpt, still superior to Quakewave. I am not saying Quakewave is bad; before the Takara Shockwave, it was very impressive and got the colors right.
I don't even think Quakewave got the color right; it's too vibrant/over-saturated, making him look like a child's toy instead of a collectible figure. But I agree that the sculpt of Takara's is vastly superior; Quakewave suffers the same issue that a lot of earlier 3rd party figures did, which is that they look as though they were just sculpted from memory instead of using any kind of source material.

Much as I complain about Takara-Tomy's finishing decisions on Shockwave, I wouldn't take a Quakewave if someone offered it to me for free; I feel that strongly about him :panic:

I went with Quakeblast for my MP Shockwave because of the looks and cost, but honestly, I don't really like it that much. The paint is FANTASTIC and waist down it's perfect, but the chest and head shape are way off and it's so detailed that it's just greebly. I think that Quakeblast lower body and Quakewave upper body would make the perfect Shockwave, though.

Attachments

• 12360354_185894928427609_6381206445599458483_n.jpg
    12360354_185894928427609_6381206445599458483_n.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 229
I went with Quakeblast for my MP Shockwave because of the looks and cost, but honestly, I don't really like it that much. The paint is FANTASTIC and waist down it's perfect, but the chest and head shape are way off and it's so detailed that it's just greebly. I think that Quakeblast lower body and Quakewave upper body would make the perfect Shockwave, though.

I dunno... I think it looks great. Unlike Hot Toys human characters, Transformers have the luxury of being open to artistic interpretation. I mean watch the old G1 cartoon - characters changed appearances from shot-to-shot. LOL

Thanks! Even just having Shockwave's grey bits be the same silver as Soundwave's would have made a huge difference.

I think a repaint would sure be something, but I suppose we´d need to grind extensively, so everything still fits and all those little studs that would be needed to be removed. Hard job, I suppose...

Yeah I'm with you - that paint and color is fantastic. Mold-wise, he looks like a pretty good Fall of Cybertron Shockwave...

I think a repaint would sure be something, but I suppose we´d need to grind extensively, so everything still fits and all those little studs that would be needed to be removed. Hard job, I suppose...
I'm hoping Takara-Tomy comes to their senses and re-releases the figure in a "G1 toy" focused deco, with deep metallic purple, silver/chrome accents and a metallic eye. Or maybe Hasbro will do the unthinkable and release a superior version stateside. Either way, I'd sell the current Masterpiece Shockwave in a heartbeat and "upgrade" to a less lavender/matte grey version.

I'm hoping Takara-Tomy comes to their senses and re-releases the figure in a "G1 toy" focused deco, with deep metallic purple, silver/chrome accents and a metallic eye. Or maybe Hasbro will do the unthinkable and release a superior version stateside. Either way, I'd sell the current Masterpiece Shockwave in a heartbeat and "upgrade" to a less lavender/matte grey version.

If Red Alert is an indication, maybe. But if so, it would take awhile. Would prolly sell mine too, although I find it not as annoying as you guys.

Eh, I have both Quakewave and the MP Laserwave/Shockwave. I originally thought I'd part with Quake when I got Shock, but I like the overall design much better than Shockwave. It's bulky and has a good bit of heft. Shockwave does a better job at trying to be faithful to the cartoon, but the lavender color and skinny legs are the biggest things I don't like about it.

Now I just need this version of Shockwave made as a figure...

IMG_0196.jpg

only issue i ever had with quakewave was his arm cable. anyone know a good alternative/replacement?

FT did this replacement part which allows for the cable to be repositioned in the correct spot,
https://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/fanstoys-ft-03-quake-wave-arm-kit-for-hose-correction.html

The cable was different on the reissued Quakewave, I don't think it was made available separately but it might be worth asking around as FT are very good at sending out spare parts to dealers in case of people have issues.

Quakewave is still my preferred option for Shockwave and unless MMC has a go at the character I don't see me having any need to replace it.

I don't even think Quakewave got the color right; it's too vibrant/over-saturated, making him look like a child's toy instead of a collectible figure. But I agree that the sculpt of Takara's is vastly superior; Quakewave suffers the same issue that a lot of earlier 3rd party figures did, which is that they look as though they were just sculpted from memory instead of using any kind of source material.

Much as I complain about Takara-Tomy's finishing decisions on Shockwave, I wouldn't take a Quakewave if someone offered it to me for free; I feel that strongly about him :panic:

Funny...I was going to say the same thing about MP shockwave.
I think it's cheap looking....But I love my Quake blast more than almost any piece in my transformer collection.
Love... absolutely love the color, finish, quality, heft, and sculpt, so much more than MP.
My wife also commented on how QB looks and feels like an expensive collectable and MP looks like it's for kids.. go figure

Back