ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I allways hated that jetfire. MOSTLY becuase i'm a robotech/macross fan, and a transformers fan. so i look at that toy, or G1 whirl, and all i see are mislabeled macross toys.

I allways hated that jetfire.

PkmeEbd.gif

That was one of my few TF figures as a kid. Loved him. Would love even more to get an MP version one of these days (with alternate cartoon and toy heads, of course).

I took some pics of my Herc yesterday in preparation for selling the bastard. I like this one particularly because it looks so appropriately massive when you large-size the picture:

gYB0Xy5.jpg

There is ALOT more to the differences than JUSt the head.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy, but it's NOT jetfire/skyfire. I HATE that they went with that model for jetfire, instead of doing a unique mold for him.

A similar example would be Putting an early Han solo figure Bespin figure into a package, and slapping a Indianna jones label on it, just becuse it's harrison ford in a jacket dosn't make it Indy either.
Or calling Darth Vader Luke skywalker, just becuase they both have lightsabers.

The ONLY thing that toy has in common with jetfire/skyfire is they're both red and white jets that turn into robots.

Superior Jetfire/skyfire is superior.
304569081_6df2d92dbf.jpg

and yes, i get that I'm comparing a toy from 30 years ago, with one that's from 10 years ago.

In all likelyhood, If i HAD NOT been familior with Robotecvh as a kid, i probobly would Love the Macrossfire Transformer, instead of seeing it as a cheap cop-out.

Now, Damnit Takara, Fix this, and make a Full on, toon-and-comic Accurate MASTERPIECE Jetfire/Skyfire.

Becuase THIS
skyfire4.jpg

283b153f1533e4a23a4c7ff8ba9b7152.jpg

skyfire_by_sakuranez-d328z4a.jpg
skyfire2.jpg

small

IS NOT THIS
jetfire_style_macross_1_by_bleedmanworld-d33h7wm.png

On the detail of the differing heads. this was tackled in the comics, and by the Classics toy ( pictured above, by making the G1 toy head into a Helmet that Skyfire had.
Smart way to TRY to keep everyone happy

Jetfire_by_fourth_heir.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I realize the cartoon and toy versions were totally different, I just hope the MP is cartoon accurate (improved version of what they were going for with the Classics one) while giving folks the option of the original head, as a nod to the old toy. In fact, they did that with the Classic's version's helmet. I was a more casual Robotech fan as a kid, so I realized what was going on to some extent, but it didn't bother me. I don't remember having or knowing anyone else who had actual Robotech toys back in the day.

Heh. I did..I had ALOT of the harmony gold/matchbox figures. quite a few of the vehichles too. Though I never had the not quite transformable Valkyrie.

I allways hated that jetfire. MOSTLY becuase i'm a robotech/macross fan, and a transformers fan. so i look at that toy, or G1 whirl, and all i see are mislabeled macross toys.

But whirl isn't a macross design? And the Takatoku Valk design is still one of the best toy designs out there. We're actually kinda lucky they licensed it from Takatoku (I like road buster too, especially with the added armor). Isn't the only reason they changed the design for the cartoon because if licensing reasons and macross/robotech? It's funny how an animated series based off of repurposed Japanese toys became to iconic that we now want toys engineered from the cartoon itself.

I remember those cheaper converters toys also licensed the smaller macross molds, including the SDF 1.

There is ALOT more to the differences than JUSt the head.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great toy, but it's NOT jetfire/skyfire. I HATE that they went with that model for jetfire, instead of doing a unique mold for him.

A similar example would be Putting an early Han solo figure Bespin figure into a package, and slapping a Indianna jones label on it, just becuse it's harrison ford in a jacket dosn't make it Indy either.
Or calling Darth Vader Luke skywalker, just becuase they both have lightsabers.

The ONLY thing that toy has in common with jetfire/skyfire is they're both red and white jets that turn into robots.

Superior Jetfire/skyfire is superior.
304569081_6df2d92dbf.jpg

and yes, i get that I'm comparing a toy from 30 years ago, with one that's from 10 years ago.

In all likelyhood, If i HAD NOT been familior with Robotecvh as a kid, i probobly would Love the Macrossfire Transformer, instead of seeing it as a cheap cop-out.

Now, Damnit Takara, Fix this, and make a Full on, toon-and-comic Accurate MASTERPIECE Jetfire/Skyfire.

Becuase THIS
skyfire4.jpg

283b153f1533e4a23a4c7ff8ba9b7152.jpg

skyfire_by_sakuranez-d328z4a.jpg
skyfire2.jpg

small

IS NOT THIS
jetfire_style_macross_1_by_bleedmanworld-d33h7wm.png

On the detail of the differing heads. this was tackled in the comics, and by the Classics toy ( pictured above, by making the G1 toy head into a Helmet that Skyfire had.
Smart way to TRY to keep everyone happy

Jetfire_by_fourth_heir.jpg

Lol So much hate in you! Let's be honest, everyone's mileage varies. I feel the exact opposite. The cartoon version was poorly designed and a bit of a mess. Yes the Valk is from Macross but that means nothing as (you seem to forget) virtually all the other figures from G1 were from other lines too. That doesn't make them anymore viable than that design.
The jetfire I grew up with was the toy, it captured my imagination along with Optimus Prime and got me into transformers in the first place :) This for me is THE definitive version not the redesigns that have followed and I've had the displeasure of quoting! Lol :dunno

Thanks. Yeah, he's a swell figure, but I've decided to focus exclusively on MP figures. I've come to the realization that my collection needs a serious re-focusing, and ol' Herc went on the chopping block. I was also gonna sell all my Alt figures, but realized they were only worth about $10-15 a piece. That reality is so offensive to me somehow that I just can't bring myself to offload them, even though I have no intention of ever displaying them again :lol

Lol So much hate in you! Let's be honest, everyone's mileage varies. I feel the exact opposite. The cartoon version was poorly designed and a bit of a mess. Yes the Valk is from Macross but that means nothing as (you seem to forget) virtually all the other figures from G1 were from other lines too. That doesn't make them anymore viable than that design.
The jetfire I grew up with was the toy, it captured my imagination along with Optimus Prime and got me into transformers in the first place :) This for me is THE definitive version not the redesigns that have followed and I've had the displeasure of quoting! Lol :dunno

While you are correct, it's also worth noting the microman toys came first, and the cartoon models were drawn to look like those toys.
This was not followed with the super Valkyrie, becuase it's a tokatso toy, and not a takara one. Hasbro had the cartoon model look different to keep takara happy, and that's not even touching on the harmony gold legal trouble.

In short, if we ever get an actual mp sky fire, he will be based on the toon model.

Which, for me, is awesome.

I'll get one eventually. I'll have quite a few Prowls... I could probably trade one for one at some point.

While you are correct, it's also worth noting the microman toys came first, and the cartoon models were drawn to look like those toys.
This was not followed with the super Valkyrie, becuase it's a tokatso toy, and not a takara one. Hasbro had the cartoon model look different to keep takara happy, and that's not even touching on the harmony gold legal trouble.

In short, if we ever get an actual mp sky fire, he will be based on the toon model.

Which, for me, is awesome.

Touché lerath ;) I'll say it'll be 'interesting' to see Takara attempt an MP Skyfire/Jetfire figure. God knows despite my last post i'd inevitably be all over it come PO time :D

Even knowing the origins of the toy, I always liked Jetfire (the toy) more than Skyfire (the cartoon). Skyfire seemed wishy washy and pretty weak. It was like every stray shot could bring him down. I mean I know he was a scientist but still.

Got nothing against the toy version/Jetfire, but don't we already have an MP-like option for that already via Bandai? Count me in for the 'toon model w/optional toy head/visor... though Jet/Skyfire is one of those characters I wouldn't rely on Takara Tomy for... more likely to get a third party version, I think.

Personally I think he should be about MP-01 height to fit in with the current scale, too. :)

Got nothing against the toy version/Jetfire, but don't we already have an MP-like option for that already via Bandai? Count me in for the 'toon model w/optional toy head/visor... though Jet/Skyfire is one of those characters I wouldn't rely on Takara Tomy for... more likely to get a third party version, I think.

Personally I think he should be about MP-01 height to fit in with the current scale, too. :)

Yamato, not Bandai. But yes, there's several very, very, very decent MP Skyfire look-alikes around.

Skyfire\Jetfire suffers from the Ironhide\Ratchet syndrome; the cartoon model is too, how should I say it, bare\generic\basic for my taste to translate well into a robot.

Back