ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be something like Hound?

Has jeep been forthcoming with licensing traditionally?

I blame the decline of my intrest in Prime and Bumblebee on Michael Bay.

Since that hack was allowed to show the world his vision of Transformers elements of his movies have gradually infested the entire franchise like a disease and as those two are the only characters Bay gives a crap about it's meant they've become overexposed in every form of TF media.

There's been 100's of crappy toys that have in turn inspired endless copycat customs, Bumblebee has now lost his speech in at least 1 other continuity, the most recent cartoon uses Bayformer-esque designs and the comic artists are drawing G1 characters with Bayformer aesthetics added which look a damn mess.

Everywhere you turn in the franchise there's those two and it's made me sick of the pair of them, I can't even watch THAT fight in the '86 movie without expecting Shia LaTwat to show up and take out Megatron before Prime even gets to say "One shall stand.One shall fall".

Niltusk,
G1 Hound was a Mitsubishi J59, not a Jeep.

According to reliable sources that license has already been acquired.

Thats great, hope hes in the plans sooner than later. I always thought he was just an old army jeep.

Could it be something like Hound?

Has jeep been forthcoming with licensing traditionally?

I hope its hound, jazz or wheeljack, now that it has been confirmed that MP 20 is an autobot and a car. Hope a 2.0 megatron is announced soon, and it wont have a chicken leg like its predecessor.

All the Bumblebee hate! :D I don't know about anyone else, but getting into this show as a kid, Bumblebee was the one I could most relate to. He befriended the human, and was always really likable. I think of him as the second most important Autobot after Prime. The equivalent of Starscream on the other side. So, I definitely want that guy in my collection.

Now I get what you are saying with his importance as an Autobot & I hate to admit it but you are right, he was always designed IMO to bridge the gap between the kids & the show as being the most human & having the most interaction with the humans meant we related to him the most.
But in the same vein it's the main reason I disliked him, he was to me like T-BOB was in M.A.S.K just an annoying little character, that I put up with because I had too.

Intresting point on Shockwave, I've not seen anyone else bring it up but it's plausible even though it'd be a bit of a kick in the nuts as everyone's expecting it to be one of the cars.

The actual Lancia Stratos Turbo with the number 459 is owned by a private collector so Takara may not have to throw lots of money at the Fiat Group ( owners of Lancia ) or they may have to pay Fiat AND the private owner :dunno

The Coneheads were F-15's, just like the Seekers but obviously had retooled wings. The F-15 has been used countless times in Transformers history without any license....and some say it's only the 3rd parties that engage in such despicable shenanigans :lol

I finally found some info that sheds some light on the inspiration for Sunstreaker's alt mode,
https://www.spencer1984.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/49-Sunstreaker-The-Missing-Link.html

So it would appear that Takara should be OK with making a new Countach mold with the same proportions but a different robot mode to the Sideswipe mold and then having the engines as a removable accesory.

Thanks for the info on Wheeljack, didn't realise that the 459 version was a collector owned version.
Could be part of the issue with getting the license at the mo as having to work with 2 people to get it might delay him a bit more.

I should really have thought about the coneheads a bit more but they were clearly the F-15 body just with retooled wings.
Still hoping either iGear do another run or Takara feel they are worthy of doing for their line :pray:

Interesting on Sunstreaker.

Hope he does appear soon then

Won't be shockwave. There is no liscense issue with an original design. The liscense issue prevents takara from making reissues.

Also, he said we have finally secured

Also, they said the hard to get liscense was for an autobot and a car.

Here, this is exactly what was said.

Thanks for the link I hadn't actually read the whole thing & missed the bit about it being a car & an Autobot :slap:slap

Hoping for Jazz now then ;)

I blame the decline of my intrest in Prime and Bumblebee on Michael Bay.

Since that hack was allowed to show the world his vision of Transformers elements of his movies have gradually infested the entire franchise like a disease and as those two are the only characters Bay gives a crap about it's meant they've become overexposed in every form of TF media.

There's been 100's of crappy toys that have in turn inspired endless copycat customs, Bumblebee has now lost his speech in at least 1 other continuity, the most recent cartoon uses Bayformer-esque designs and the comic artists are drawing G1 characters with Bayformer aesthetics added which look a damn mess.

Everywhere you turn in the franchise there's those two and it's made me sick of the pair of them, I can't even watch THAT fight in the '86 movie without expecting Shia LaTwat to show up and take out Megatron before Prime even gets to say "One shall stand.One shall fall".

Niltusk,
G1 Hound was a Mitsubishi J59, not a Jeep.

According to reliable sources that license has already been acquired.

I'm with Corsair here on Michael Bay really not helping me feel for Bee in any way shape or form.

As I said earlier I never really gelled with him even in G1 & now Bay has stomped his big size 10's all over the universe & made him a mute (not only in his films but in the latest cartoon too) it's just too much
If ever a character could leave a universe entirely & never darken it again it's Bee...even in the comics he's an annoying little twit

Neil

Or even what about Shockwave??
Would make sense as the licence isn't easy to get & it would kick Fanstoys in the nuts with their Quakewave figure (kind of like they did with SW)

lerath covered this... but anyway, Shockwave isn't a problem. Reissuing the G1 toy might be, but that's it. An MP version would be substantially different - as different as Beast Hunters Shockwave, Energon Shockblast, etc., when you get right down to it (i.e. proportions, parts, paint, transformation, etc.). An MP version would only be superficially similar to the original G1 toy - probably one of the reasons third party companies can get away with what they do, albeit I'm sure that's a fine line. :)

Would there be licence issues in securing the rights to reporduce the Conehead jets??
Never really sure which Jets they were really based on.

They were just made up. After all, all they did was take the original Seeker fuselage and add different wing parts. If they can get away with Starscream's F-15 alt mode, they can get away with the Coneheads.

Personally I think Shockwave's on the books... maybe not for MP-20, but sooner than people might think. After Megatron, and maybe Galvatron, there's no "big" Decepticon popular enough to get people excited, nor can I think of any other character more worthy of the MP treatment, in terms of prominence in the old cartoon and what not.

I want some Masterpiece Beast Wars releases. *runs away*

Me too, actually. But not at the expense of G1 (or at least first season G1). I'd also want them to be substantially smaller for the most part. Not show-accurate scale to G1, but small enough so that it wouldn't look too off in a display.

Really, about the size of the original BW figures would be just about perfect.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Telemocha Optimus Primal is good enough to stand with current MPs. Most original figures are pretty good too - all they might need are third party accessory sets (head, arms/open hands, and weapons).

I blame the decline of my intrest in Prime and Bumblebee on Michael Bay...

I can understand that sentiment! But it wouldn't stop me from buying an MP Prime and Bumblebee. They are essential characters - Generation One characters. Don't let that hack Bay destroy that. :)

lerath covered this... but anyway, Shockwave isn't a problem. Reissuing the G1 toy might be, but that's it. An MP version would be substantially different - as different as Beast Hunters Shockwave, Energon Shockblast, etc., when you get right down to it (i.e. proportions, parts, paint, transformation, etc.). An MP version would only be superficially similar to the original G1 toy - probably one of the reasons third party companies can get away with what they do, albeit I'm sure that's a fine line. :)

Yeah I feel a bit daft now but I assumed the issue preventing the re-issue of the G1 toy would affect the MP figure

They were just made up. After all, all they did was take the original Seeker fuselage and add different wing parts. If they can get away with Starscream's F-15 alt mode, they can get away with the Coneheads.

Yep that's another case of typing & not really thinking ;) lol
I do think that Takara have missed a trick by not getting these out already

Personally I think Shockwave's on the books... maybe not for MP-20, but sooner than people might think. After Megatron, and maybe Galvatron, there's no "big" Decepticon popular enough to get people excited, nor can I think of any other character more worthy of the MP treatment, in terms of prominence in the old cartoon and what not.

I'm actually struggling to think of many more Decepticon characters that weren't Gestalts that I'd really love to see.

I'd like the Insecticons at some point.

Looking back now the Decepticons were woefully outnumbered weren't they?? :lol

Me too, actually. But not at the expense of G1 (or at least first season G1). I'd also want them to be substantially smaller for the most part. Not show-accurate scale to G1, but small enough so that it wouldn't look too off in a display.

Really, about the size of the original BW figures would be just about perfect.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Telemocha Optimus Primal is good enough to stand with current MPs. Most original figures are pretty good too - all they might need are third party accessory sets (head, arms/open hands, and weapons).

I wouldn't be adverse to some Beast Wars characters at some point but as you mentioned they would have to be a long way off to get all the G1 done & also I agree that the actual BW figures themselves are surprisingly good anyway, just need a bit more finishing off & they would be fine
My collection is still mostly sealed so should I ever feel like I need a display I could get them lined up :)

I can understand that sentiment! But it wouldn't stop me from buying an MP Prime and Bumblebee. They are essential characters - Generation One characters. Don't let that hack Bay destroy that. :)

I have to keep reminding myself that Bee had a life before Bay ruined him.
I will buy him as like you said a G1 display really isn't complete without him but I do think that he can wait a while & to be fair the iGear one will probably suffice anyway

Neil

Bumblebee is way oversaturated, but I won't lie, I'd still get a MP if it turned into the VW Beetle.

An interesting question was raised in a TFW thread recently too: Should the Minibots have realistic altmodes, OR be deformed like with the G1 toys and cartoon? It really surprised me to see how split the responses to it are: https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/932842-mp-minibots-should-they-realistic-choro-q.html

Ideal solution for me would be to have realistic altmodes but have them be slightly scaled down. Would be the best of both worlds for me (especially if that means another new, cheaper size class).

Tough one. I'm not sure. Would probably have to see how they look. Seeing those bots the same size as Prowl and Sideswipe would seem a bit odd though.

Last edited:
I think the Cartoon look will be fine.
I always thought they looked kinda weird as toys back in the day but that's part of who they are.

I think if they went too realistic we'd lose out on what made them the characters they are.

Actually while we are on the subject of the Mini Warriors etc. is there any value in iGears Huffer & Seaspray?
They don't really fit in with my ideas these days so thinking I might sell them on.

Neil

Im in the same collecting scheme as you. I have no interest in buying multiple characters that share the same base mold. Though i might be tempted to make an exception for ironhide and rachet since they are both important characters. I was thinking of getting the igears ver, but it seems they are a tad underscale with the MP series?

I'm not opposed to buying multiple figures based off the same mold; but, I'd only want certain ones. I'll be getting all three Nissan's, and would like to add Starscream and Skywarp to my MP Thundercracker display (if they ever make a Skywarp and if I can pick up Scream at a resonable price). Ironhide and Ratchet are must haves. It's really only figures in the vein of Tigertrack and Acid Storm I have no interest in picking up.

As for the Minibots, I have the utmost faith that Takara will figure out the best way to scale these guys to the rest of the line if/when they chose to release them.

Yep that's another case of typing & not really thinking ;) lol
I do think that Takara have missed a trick by not getting these out already

I don't think so. Sure, the iGear ones are pretty great but there's still room for improvement. It's been a long time since they were released, too... I've no doubt that there's a market for official versions, should Takara decide to release them.

Ditto Shockwave, despite the FansToys version. I think they just haven't gotten around to doing one - the MP line is quite slow, after all.

I'm actually struggling to think of many more Decepticon characters that weren't Gestalts that I'd really love to see.

I'd like the Insecticons at some point.

Looking back now the Decepticons were woefully outnumbered weren't they?? :lol

Yup, but I always thought of them as being "built for war" so one good Seeker was easily a match for 2-3 typical Autobots. :)

I have to keep reminding myself that Bee had a life before Bay ruined him.
I will buy him as like you said a G1 display really isn't complete without him but I do think that he can wait a while & to be fair the iGear one will probably suffice anyway

Neil

Argh... if only! I thought a good iGear Bee was a non-issue, until I saw the proto pics. :(

Bumblebee is way oversaturated, but I won't lie, I'd still get a MP if it turned into the VW Beetle.

An interesting question was raised in a TFW thread recently too: Should the Minibots have realistic altmodes, OR be deformed like with the G1 toys and cartoon? It really surprised me to see how split the responses to it are: https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/932842-mp-minibots-should-they-realistic-choro-q.html

Ideal solution for me would be to have realistic altmodes but have them be slightly scaled down. Would be the best of both worlds for me (especially if that means another new, cheaper size class).

If I had to choose, it'd be cartoon/G1 toy-accurate, in terms of proportions and what not. Ideally, as you say, they could somehow have a realistic alt mode and a cartoon-accurate 'bot mode, but somehow I don't think that's achievable...

Scale doesn't matter to me. It's not as if Soundwave, Grimlock or Starscream's alt modes are in scale with Prime and Sideswipe, so who cares?

Actually while we are on the subject of the Mini Warriors etc. is there any value in iGears Huffer & Seaspray?
They don't really fit in with my ideas these days so thinking I might sell them on.

Neil

I ended up selling mine. They are really great toys but since iGear upped the scale, they just don't work anymore.

I keep thinking iGear will release oversized versions to go with Hench and the others... maybe they will, someday.

Niltusk,
I think it's safe to say that any Japanese car companies aren't going to be a problem with licensing. Which potentially means,

Nissan
Ironhide/Ratchet

Mitsubishi
Hound
Grapple/Inferno

Toyota
Trailbreaker/Hoist

Honda
Skids

I don't expect all of those though as even though some have easy repaints there has to be a question mark over whether they're popular enough to be financially viable.

Hound, Ironhide & Ratchet obviously would be but there would be question marks over the rest.

Hydeous,
Megatron V2 will hopefully look something like this,

I would expect Takara to improve on the design where possible and it'd have to be taller than Hegemon but Toyworld's robot mode is on the right lines even if the gun mode has suffered slightly.

DPrime,
A fair point, but I've kind of had my fill of owning toys of those characters, the itch has essentially been scratched.

soundwave,
My list of wanted Decepticons is very short,

Megatron V2

And that's it :lol

^ Indeed, as much as Insecticons and such things would be cool, I could live with just MP Megatron at this point.

A new MP Skywarp would fill out the MP-11 molds nicely, but worse comes to worse, there's always iGear for that.

^ Indeed, as much as Insecticons and such things would be cool, I could live with just MP Megatron at this point.

A new MP Skywarp would fill out the MP-11 molds nicely, but worse comes to worse, there's always iGear for that.

My iGear Skywarp broke a while ago :(

I've decided to sell Thundercracker and stick with MP11 for now.

The only way I'd buy Takara ones to replace them is if they both got new face sculpts.

Back