ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, nostalgia drives my collecting habits here, so what Takara is doing appeals to me. But if I was driven by other things I might share others' opinions that are a bit more critical.

It's Takara for me by a long way on this one. Pretty much same deal as the difference between MP-22 Ultra Magnus and the previous Citizen Stack. Stack looked OK on its own, and was a good interpretation of the character. But to fit in with the other MPs in terms of overall style, MP-22 was definitely my first choice. And it's not different here with Inferno and Grapple. The others are decent, but to display together with the other MPs, MP-33 and MP-35 are pretty much no-brainers for me, especially after seeing the awesome transformation and accessories.

Gorgeous photo by Zhe Khiang Yang!! This is nostalgia heaven right here! For me, none of the 3rd party variants could fit into this photo as well as Takara's Inferno. Home run for me!

01.jpg

IMG_7392.jpg

I'm usually one to shy away from customizations, but this one is temporary so I can always undo it later on. One of the things that drives me nuts about Takara-Tomy's Masterpiece Shockwave is the garbage light-pipe eye; while great in theory, 95% of the time the eye just looks like a dull lime green as the yellow mixes with purple and no light passes through the back. So I popped out the eye, and in keeping with the original G1 toy, just found a reflective metallic surface to replace it with. In my case I used the copper end of an old RCA cable. Works great, and now the eye looks great no matter the lighting conditions.

I'm really surprised no 3rd party has offered a better-fitting solution to achieve the same goal. Still holding out hope we'll get a toy-accurate repaint of Shockwave at some point that does away with the grotesque lavender plastic and grey matte parts.

All is opinion and this is just mine. I definitely have not been a fan of Takara's MPs since like… Bumblebee I guess? I love the MMC Inferno. I don't even have any attachment to the character, I just think MMC's looks so good as a design and as a toy.

That said, Takara does do some neat stuff with accesories but hat's about the best I can say for them, at least in terms of my own personal likes and dislikes.

MMC's is the best Inferno...Takara lacks the detail.Not saying Takara's doesn't look good,just MMC's fits the MP role better

Ebay Flash coupon 15.00 off 75.00 purchase. It works on Transformers or anything except gift cards and digital gifts.

How to redeem your Coupon:
Pay for your item with PayPal by 6PM Pacific Time on November 27, 2016
Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: CYBERFLASH16

My opinion too
MMC (on the right) is by far & away the best of the 3
I own Maketoys & its a great figure but MMC have him beat

Takaras version is weak by comparrison
The lack of any details around the figure (legs etc.) makes it look so bland & unappealing

I'm ok with my one but I wish I'd waited on MMC version before commiting
I do feel I made the right decision by not bothering with Takara though, they failed here by sticking too close to the animation model & it just doesn't work

Neil

I loved the cartoon as a kid but I loved the toys more.
Now when the MP line was first announced, I bought into it on the concept that q5hat we would get would be updated modern designs on the toys whilst still retaining the classic look.
I totally appreciate where TT are going and totally see the appeal but that basic design isnt for me.

My Anime Express shipping options were in my account this morning.

To ship Ratchet, Primal, and Inferno it was 4500yen for EMS or 2500yen for Economy.

Well I decided to try the economy shipping from AE this time. It cost me 22.60USD total.

I'll report back to let everyone know when I receive them. It says about 3 weeks. If this works well and you're willing to stack your MPs for months then this will still beat anyone else's offerings online.

Totals paid with shippng for each figure
2016 Takara MP Ratchet
2016 Takara MP Primal
2016 Tara MP Inferno

/

I dunno, Inferno only really fits in with the later super cartoon accurate stuff. It's not as radical as putting Animated or RiD stuff with Generations, but the difference in styles is still noticeable enough to really bother me.

View attachment 306818

I'm usually one to shy away from customizations, but this one is temporary so I can always undo it later on. One of the things that drives me nuts about Takara-Tomy's Masterpiece Shockwave is the garbage light-pipe eye; while great in theory, 95% of the time the eye just looks like a dull lime green as the yellow mixes with purple and no light passes through the back. So I popped out the eye, and in keeping with the original G1 toy, just found a reflective metallic surface to replace it with. In my case I used the copper end of an old RCA cable. Works great, and now the eye looks great no matter the lighting conditions.

I'm really surprised no 3rd party has offered a better-fitting solution to achieve the same goal. Still holding out hope we'll get a toy-accurate repaint of Shockwave at some point that does away with the grotesque lavender plastic and grey matte parts.
I dig it!

My Anime Express shipping options were in my account this morning.

To ship Ratchet, Primal, and Inferno it was 4500yen for EMS or 2500yen for Economy.

Well I decided to try the economy shipping from AE this time. It cost me 22.60USD total.

I'll report back to let everyone know when I receive them. It says about 3 weeks. If this works well and you're willing to stack your MPs for months then this will still beat anyone else's offerings online.

Totals paid with shippng for each figure
2016 Takara MP Ratchet
2016 Takara MP Primal
2016 Tara MP Inferno

/
My Inferno just arrived from Amazon Japan. Super fast shipping, and the total cost to me, after the currency conversion, was $102 shipped. Not bad!

Since my Devastator´s finished, I was able to finally do a nice photoshoot:
Nice pics!

My Inferno just arrived from Amazon Japan. Super fast shipping, and the total cost to me, after the currency conversion, was $102 shipped. Not bad!

Great price for Inferno. When I pre paid for mine the yen was not doing well. I only received .96 to the dollar.

Did you pre order Inferno, or were you able to order him after he was showing in stock? The reason why I'm asking is if I wanted to buy another one I add him to my cart and it says shipping not available to my region which is the U.S.

I wonder if the only way you can lock in a figure shipped to the US is during the PO window and not when it says in Stock.

Thanks

./

MMC's is the best Inferno...Takara lacks the detail.Not saying Takara's doesn't look good,just MMC's fits the MP role better

My thought's entirely, they have really scaled back to the bland animation model too much here.
MMC the way forward IMO

I loved the cartoon as a kid but I loved the toys more.
Now when the MP line was first announced, I bought into it on the concept that q5hat we would get would be updated modern designs on the toys whilst still retaining the classic look.
I totally appreciate where TT are going and totally see the appeal but that basic design isnt for me.

I absolutely adore the cartoon, always have ever since I first laid eyes on it but like you I much prefer the MP line being more toy like than the cartoon.
I want the best of both but I prefer them to be more toy like than cartoon, the weak animation used a lot of the time in the cartoon does not IMO make for a good figure.
If it does continue this way then I can't see me sticking with Takara any further than Megatron (& even he is doubtful at the moment due to price & 3rd party offerings) & will move solely to 3rd party for my future TF collecting because they are actually putting out figures that I really want in my collection (FT Kup, MT Jazz, XT Cliffjumper etc.) so don't feel like I will miss out by cutting Takara out of my collection

Neil

Great price for Inferno. When I pre paid for mine the yen was not doing well. I only received .96 to the dollar.

Did you pre order Inferno, or were you able to order him after he was showing in stock? The reason why I'm asking is if I wanted to buy another one I add him to my cart and it says shipping not available to my region which is the U.S.

I wonder if the only way you can lock in a figure shipped to the US is during the PO window and not when it says in Stock.

Thanks

./
I pre ordered.

I absolutely adore the cartoon, always have ever since I first laid eyes on it but like you I much prefer the MP line being more toy like than the cartoon.
I want the best of both but I prefer them to be more toy like than cartoon, the weak animation used a lot of the time in the cartoon does not IMO make for a good figure.
If it does continue this way then I can't see me sticking with Takara any further than Megatron (& even he is doubtful at the moment due to price & 3rd party offerings) & will move solely to 3rd party for my future TF collecting because they are actually putting out figures that I really want in my collection (FT Kup, MT Jazz, XT Cliffjumper etc.) so don't feel like I will miss out by cutting Takara out of my collection

Neil

My thoughts exactly. Takara have suffered from a massive lack of direction from the word go; from deciding on metal content to fluctuating figure size to style/design choice and even quality. Add to that their release schedule seemed to dry up at one point left all these third party companies to pick up the baton and run away with it. I have zero remorse for going the TP route as I just want the best versions of the TFs I coveted as a kid and couldn't get. I'm not burdened by this bizarre belief I owe it to Takara to buy into their line no matter what, but again each to their own!

Last edited:
Back