ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marlboro wheeljack! Love that he is a decepticon named Exhaust.

MP23a_1409630448.jpg

This will be the first MP figure Im passing on post MP10. Was gonna go all in at first but Id figure eventually there would be a figure I just didnt desire Not feeling the deco and for me it would stick out like a sore thumb with the rest of my MP crew and display focus. Dont care about the numbering and with collecting doubles of every figure since MP10,Im glad to finally be able to give my wallet a quick break.

Massive shock on MP23 totally unexpected & not sure how I feel, might get him but not bothered if I don't...although a new Decepticon will be nice :)

New coloured shot of Starsaber

10615540_820626401290891_9090823333483338796_n.jpg

18,000 yen is less than I was expecting (about £103 / $171)

Neil

Ohhhhh liking this figure more and more.

Totally off topic but my main issue with Hot Toys isn't the common complaint that they make nothing but Iron Man and Predator figures but that they almost entirely focus just on new movies. So consequently their products don't have the timelessness that is acquired by properties that have managed to survive decades of pop culture… like for example Transformers.

That's not true at all considering they're making Back to the Future figures as well as have made '89 Batman figures and soon to be released Batman Returns figures.

It was a really nice surprise to see MP Marlboor this morning. I'll definitely be picking it up, really looking forward to it! Even though my MP focus is the first couple of series up to the '86 movie there'll always be room for diaclone based MPs in my collection.

That's not true at all considering they're making Back to the Future figures as well as have made '89 Batman figures and soon to be released Batman Returns figures.

Note my use of "almost". They do the occasional figure from an old film but here's one of those to ever 10-20 from current films.

Intresting use of Marlboor as a Decepticon. I think I'll still get 2 and use them as Vehicon style drones for my Autobots to beat up.

are there any more Decepticon masterpiece coming?

I bloody well hope so...the wait for a new one is killing me & I certainly don't count MP23 as a Decepticon so I'm still waiting
I think MP23 should have still been MP20M for example to cover the Marlboro colours...like what they did with the Nissan & Lambo recolours.
I really don't think this should have had it's own designation.

Probably for me this is the biggest let down of the entire MP range, I appreciate them using the mold but I just feel it's wasted

Neil

Probably for me this is the biggest let down of the entire MP range, I appreciate them using the mold but I just feel it's wasted

I'm curious as to what you feel is wasted? The designation number or the plastic they'll use making it? I can't understand all the upset over it having it's own MP23 number. If it was the case that Takara had said they would make up to MP30 and then stop the line I could see the problem.

I'm curious as to what you feel is wasted? The designation number or the plastic they'll use making it? I can't understand all the upset over it having it's own MP23 number. If it was the case that Takara had said they would make up to MP30 and then stop the line I could see the problem.

I feel it's a total waste of a designation on a non character.
Previous recolours (G2 Sideswipe, Silverstreak, Tiger Tracks) are all real characters yet did not receive a designation they were all the MP number then a tag line (S for Silverstreak / T for Tiger Tracks etc.)
I feel MP designations should be for new characters & not for a recolour & in this case a character that they have wholly made up.
Exhaust has never been in anything & is not IMO a true transformer.

I feel if they go this route & start randomly making characters up to re-use a mould then we are on a slippery slope to never getting a full line up of the characters we really want.

EDIT - I will admit that he is not made up
He apparently appeared for a few panels in a dreamwave comic

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Exhaust

So I stand corrected there but I do 100% feel it's a waste & I would have rather MP23 had been Mirage, Jazz, Hound, ANYONE else

Neil

I feel it's a total waste of a designation on a non character.
Previous recolours (G2 Sideswipe, Silverstreak, Tiger Tracks) are all real characters yet did not receive a designation they were all the MP number then a tag line (S for Silverstreak / T for Tiger Tracks etc.)
I feel MP designations should be for new characters & not for a recolour & in this case a character that they have wholly made up.
Exhaust has never been in anything & is not IMO a true transformer.

I feel if they go this route & start randomly making characters up to re-use a mould then we are on a slippery slope to never getting a full line up of the characters we really want.

EDIT - I will admit that he is not made up
He apparently appeared for a few panels in a dreamwave comic

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Exhaust

So I stand corrected there but I do 100% feel it's a waste & I would have rather MP23 had been Mirage, Jazz, Hound, ANYONE else

Neil

I can see that Takara have made a precedent with the way they numbered G2 Sideswipe, Soundblaster, Tiger Track etc, but if MP designation should not be for recolours then Thundercracker and Skywarp being mere repaints would not have their own MP number they would just be MP11-T / MP11-SW or similar. Technically then MP-14, being a repaint and slight remold (like G2 Swipe) should not have had his own designated number either. Nor Streak or Smokescreen. Their system was flawed from the start and they've decided to change it mid stream. I'm personally not bothered about the numbers; they can and will do what they like, so no point getting wound up about it.

I'd love them to do the rest of the first series figures, and know that nothing is guaranteed. To have Jazz, Hound, Mirage etc would be amazing but I can't see how MP23 is taking up one of their slots and being made instead of one of them so I can't see why it matters, and for me anyway MP23 is a nice extra bonus I thought we'd never see. I think people are more worried that if Marlboor doesn't sell well then Takara may feel that the line is slowing down and loose interest in obtaining licenses for and making the other favourites, but I personally don't think they'll see it that way; it'll just be some extra cash gleaned from an already existing mold with minor mods. They could also be testing the water to see how well such 'made-up' diaclone characters will sell. I think they know they are taking a chance with it. If it sells well and they realize they can get extra cash from one use molds like Wheeljack, Hound or Mirage by doing Diaclone homages such as this or Detritus then it will make the initial outlay on the mold that much more bearable for them and help to give the line more longevity.

I can see that Takara have made a precedent with the way they numbered G2 Sideswipe, Soundblaster, Tiger Track etc, but if MP designation should not be for recolours then Thundercracker and Skywarp being mere repaints would not have their own MP number they would just be MP11-T / MP11-SW or similar. Technically then MP-14, being a repaint and slight remold (like G2 Swipe) should not have had his own designated number either. Nor Streak or Smokescreen. Their system was flawed from the start and they've decided to change it mid stream. I'm personally not bothered about the numbers; they can and will do what they like, so no point getting wound up about it.

I'd love them to do the rest of the first series figures, and know that nothing is guaranteed. To have Jazz, Hound, Mirage etc would be amazing but I can't see how MP23 is taking up one of their slots and being made instead of one of them so I can't see why it matters, and for me anyway MP23 is a nice extra bonus I thought we'd never see. I think people are more worried that if Marlboor doesn't sell well then Takara may feel that the line is slowing down and loose interest in obtaining licenses for and making the other favourites, but I personally don't think they'll see it that way; it'll just be some extra cash gleaned from an already existing mold with minor mods. They could also be testing the water to see how well such 'made-up' diaclone characters will sell. I think they know they are taking a chance with it. If it sells well and they realize they can get extra cash from one use molds like Wheeljack, Hound or Mirage by doing Diaclone homages such as this or Detritus then it will make the initial outlay on the mold that much more bearable for them and help to give the line more longevity.

I can see your point & I know it probably doesn't bother most people but it's a real bugbear of mine now.

Your argument about Skywarp etc. is a non point though.
They are all actual characters & a big part of the G1 universe so all should have their own MP designation, Exhaust is not.
An appearance for a few minutes in a dreamwave comic does not a legitimate G1 character make, I doubt for one second he even appeared in alt mode in the comic so using this mould for him does seem a waste.

I think this will be one those things where differing opinions will definitely come into play I think it's a waste, you & plenty of others don't & I can appreciate that.
We are all entitled to an opinion & it's one of those times when mine is out of the norm.

I will be speaking with my wallet on this one & won't pick him up.

Neil

Your argument about Skywarp etc. is a non point though.
They are all actual characters & a big part of the G1 universe so all should have their own MP designation, Exhaust is not.

That's fair enough, I was just curious as to what the problem with the numbering was founded on.

I know what you're saying about Thundercracker and Skywarp, but I still stand by my point about the numbering of Skywarp etc, by taking Soundblaster into account. Although the original D-101 was a Japan only release and we didn't get him over here, he is most definitely a character in his own right- he appeared in the Japanese G1 cartoon, and yet Takara, a Japanese company, decided to tag him onto the Soundwave release and not give him his own number, which surprised me initially. To me, Soundblaster to Soundwave is no different than Sideswipe to Red Alert, or Starscream to Thundercracker or Skywarp. They are all TF characters in their own right, and I agree they should all have their own numbers. That's where for me the numbering system went a bit cockeyed so I took it all with a pinch of salt from then on.

I agree with you about Exhaust's appearance in the Dreamwave comic not making him a legitimate G1 character. He isn't to me either. Neither is Tiger Track, nor Detritus or some of the other Diaclone based eHobby reissues of the past 15 or so years. Heck even Sunstorm and Hauler were only fleetingly seen in the G1 cartoon, Sunstorm in particular being fleshed out later by Dreamwave. The only reason that Exhaust didn't get an eHobby homage is that the Wheeljack mold was knackered, hence Wheeljack didn't get a reissue either. I'm pretty sure we'd have seen Exhaust appear had that not been the case. I wish they hadn't given MP23 a Decepticon symbol, as to me though they are Diaclone and that's why I like and want them, regardless as to whether they actually appeared in the TF continuity or not. They are what started it all in the first place!

considering waiting for the ko's, and painting them black first.

If you do post some pics when they're done as I'd love to see that mold in black.

soundwave,
It's an odd one for sure but I think there's a similarity with TigerTrack as he first appeared in 2003 as an eHobby repaint of Sideswipe.

My concern would be that something like a blue Bluestreak might get repurposed into a new Decepticon character although as long as the faction logo wasn't tampographed onto the figure it wouldn't really matter.

If it's not for you then fair enough, missing out on Exhaust means more cash for something else....Omnigonix Sunstreaker perhaps?

Back