"Aliens" - 25th Anniversary Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Aliens" Turns 25 Next Year!

I'll never forget seeing this movie in the theater, because the circumstances were so hilarious.

Me and my bother saw this in a primarily Latino theater (that mostly showed Spanish movies). This was one of those old ass, single screen O.G. theaters too (it went out of business years ago and is now a Chinese owned this-and-that type of store).

We mostly went to the theater down the street to watch movies (New Mission Theater; also went out of business and is now another Chinese owned this-and-that type of store). But all of a sudden this primarily Latino theater was showing Aliens. So me and my brother went. This was back in 1986.

Funny stuff: They were showing three movies total. And Aliens wasn't even the main attraction i.e. it wasn't the new movie being shown (it had been out a couple months by then). The new movie (which got top billing on the marquee) was Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives. Which is Rated R. No one cared that I was only 10 and that my brother was only 16.

The second movie billed on the marquee wasn't Aliens either. It was Top Gun. :lol

Aliens was billed third. And just that combination of Jason, Maverick and Ripley for a triple header at a theater is kind of a WTF head scratcher. :lol

But the #1 reason me and my brother still laugh about it to this day is because of how much we paid to see all three of those movies. To put it in perspective, the other theater I talked about (New Mission Theater) which was less than a block away used to charge $4.00 for one movie. We got to see Aliens, Top Gun and Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives for a whopping 50 cents each. :D

I'll never forget seeing this movie in the theater, because the circumstances were so hilarious.

Me and my bother saw this in a primarily Latino theater (that mostly showed Spanish movies). This was one of those old ass, single screen O.G. theaters too (it went out of business years ago and is now a Chinese owned this-and-that type of store).

We mostly went to the theater down the street to watch movies (New Mission Theater; also went out of business and is now another Chinese owned this-and-that type of store). But all of a sudden this primarily Latino theater was showing Aliens. So me and my brother went. This was back in 1986.

Funny stuff: They were showing three movies total. And Aliens wasn't even the main attraction i.e. it wasn't the new movie being shown (it had been out a couple months by then). The new movie (which got top billing on the marquee) was Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives. Which is Rated R. No one cared that I was only 10 and that my brother was only 16.

The second movie billed on the marquee wasn't Aliens either. It was Top Gun. :lol

Aliens was billed third. And just that combination of Jason, Maverick and Ripley for a triple header at a theater is kind of a WTF head scratcher. :lol

But the #1 reason me and my brother still laugh about it to this day is because of how much we paid to see all three of those movies. To put it in perspective, the other theater I talked about (New Mission Theater) which was less than a block away used to charge $4.00 for one movie. We got to see Aliens, Top Gun and Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives for a whopping 50 cents each. :D

that's a hell of a deal....I was too young to see Aliens in the theater....I had to wait for VHS......

And for some reason I remember it being a big deal when it came out on VHS....remember how people would rent movies and then make a copy for themselves....If you actually wanted to own the VHS it was something like $90.....Does anybody else remember that????

I remember the laser disc being really expensive because it included all the deleted stuff. Not to mention barely anyone HAD a laser disk player. :lol

The first version of Aliens I saw was actually the special edition. We went to rent it and the only copy they had was of the extended film. So by the time I started buying all of the Alien, Pred, and AVP movies on 2-disc collectors' edition, I wasn't surprised at the restored footage in Aliens because I had already seen it. Still, to me, that's the defining version of the film. All of the scenes they deleted are what made the original experience for me. I've seen the theatrical movie once and it doesn't hold a candle to what Cameron originally intended to shoot and keep.
I'd say those 2-disc sets are worth owning for any fan because they literally come with two movies each, the special editions of which blew my mind. This really goes for Alien 3, since the theatrical cut didn't include the ox or the fact that they caught the Dog Alien at first, only to have it set free by Golic (whose backstory they further explained). Seems like some pretty pivotal footage to cut out, so I'm glad to have it.

This thread makes me sad, for it reminds me (again) of how old I am getting.

24/25 YEARS??? WTF. It really doesn't seem that long ago that I sat in a theater with my Dad and saw "ALIENS" on opening weekend. Now...

elderly%20man%20on%20walker.jpg

And for some reason I remember it being a big deal when it came out on VHS....remember how people would rent movies and then make a copy for themselves....If you actually wanted to own the VHS it was something like $90.....Does anybody else remember that????

$90 was cheap. I've paid more for a VHS. :lol

This thread makes me sad, for it reminds me (again) of how old I am getting.

24/25 YEARS??? WTF. It really doesn't seem that long ago that I sat in a theater with my Dad and saw "ALIENS" on opening weekend. Now...

elderly%20man%20on%20walker.jpg

:lecture:lecture:lecture After Star Wars' 30th, I've come to accept it though. Look on the bright side, soon we'll be able to order from the special section on the back of restaurant menus. :D

Re: "Aliens" Turns 25!

We were wondering whether or not this thread would be necro-bumped (and by who), so I figured I'd take that challenge on ;). Tomorrow marks the 25th anniversary of this film, but I'm making this post today due to international members for which it's already July 18th.

Not sure what else needs to be said since many of us spilled our hearts and souls over a year ago, so if anyone else hasn't joined the nostalgia party yet, now's the time. For those who've already posted or can't think of any other stories or thoughts to swap, I guess this could serve as an appreciation thread (?), as Predator has one, so it's only fair for his favorite prey to have one as well.

Just felt like mentioning I'll be buying the four Alien films on blu-ray, though to keep in harmony with my DVD collection, I'm getting the individual versions. Sure, I'll miss out on Discs 5 and 6 of the Anthology set, but damn... those seperate embossed slipcovers look gorgeous. Alternate versions of the films and all of their special features are still intact, so I'll be satisfied. Some research brought to light that the blu-ray transfers are more vivid in addition to more crisp. I dig that sort of thing, especially when it makes a movie from the 80's appear to have been shot in recent years. Can't wait to have a little marathon in honor of this monumental date for sci-fi. Need to grab a bag of Lay's classic potato chips first :lol.

Some basking in the glory of these incredible covers which some of you may have seen:
Alien-Blu-ray.jpg

A higher-resolution cover shot of the film in question (looks awesome!):
Aliens.1986.Special.Edition.1080p.Blu-ray.DTS.x264-ViSTA.jpg

And lastly, a comparison shot I came across that gets me even more excited for the coming 'upgrade' (BD version on top, DVD version on bottom):
Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-DVD-comparison.jpg

Long story short, it's great to see the magic still going strong after all these years. I realize these have been out for a few months; this is just me geeking out over the latest Aliens-related development on my end :eek:.

Last edited:

^ Yep, those individual covers are amazing. I'm trying to buy them all even though I already have the Anthology. :lol

Only have Resurrection at the moment.

The Anthology has some really incredible art in it too, though.

^ Yep, those individual covers are amazing. I'm trying to buy them all even though I already have the Anthology. :lol

Only have Resurrection at the moment.

The Anthology has some really incredible art in it too, though.

Yep, I've seen the interior booklet. Amazing stuff for sure. It's the collector at heart that makes me want to have the individual packages more, not quite sure what it is. It's also the OCD at heart that makes me want to keep my Blu-Ray collection the same as my DVD collection, which I'll probably be dropping off at FYE. I just wish that the Terminator films could get the same even and equal treatment that the Alien and Predator films have been getting. Sadly, different producers for each one makes that a tough thing to do :(.

I remember reading someone's post on AVP Galaxy that they wished the individual covers would be made into full-size posters. Totally agree on that.

EDIT: I think these are the Japanese covers... they look official enough. Either way, more eye candy!
https://forum.blu-ray.com/4479699-post8503.html

Last edited:
Aliens is one of those movies I never got tired of watching, especially on BluRay, it's like a whole new movie. Perhaps Sideshow will surprise us with the Queen Nest Dio tomorrow being that it's the 25th anniversary......

This can't be right! 25 years?! GROAAAN!! Where has the time gone?!

Greatest movie, evah! Cameron can make as many Titanics as he wants. All sins are forgiven with Aliens....

Back