"Aliens" - 25th Anniversary Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotfish

How does the wind ever get in here?
Reaction score
:fireworks 25th Anniversary of ALIENS! :fireworks

james-cameron-20091215032229363-000.jpg

Figured we should take notice that on July 18th, 2011, one of our most cherished films on the Aliens & Robots board turns 25. It's been a long run and even today, we're still getting awesome products based on the James Cameron fan-favorite, not to mention freshly-remastered Blu-Ray releases and upgrades. I think it's also worth noting that as far as comics and merchandise go, we've seen "Aliens" vs. Predator far more often than "Alien" vs. Predator. The second movie used the brilliant idea from the original and drove it home, like the perfect sequel should.

Cameron, the director we know from such movies as the Terminator series (another franchise in which the first film and its sequel went down in history), truly did phenomenal work and gave us some fantastic action movies. These proved to be monumental and have set the standard for the classic 80's sci-fi flick.
One of the reasons why Cameron is such a rare and talented director, in my opinion, is that he is also a writer and an artist. He designed the iconic Alien Queen and produced some amazing concept paintings that eventually led to the famous Power-Loader vs. the Queen battle:

james_cameron_-_alien_queen_egg-sac__1_.jpg

Being the visionary that he is, he even furthered the dark, weathered, and desolate look of the LV-426 landscape in another of his paintings:

james-cameron-alien-landscape1.jpg

Speaking of the Queen, "Aliens" also gave us more works from Stan Winston, as his studio was responsible for the xenomorph critters of the film. Thus, Winston devised a great way to show the Aliens on-screen, using bright highlights on an otherwise dark costume. Many fans hold the ridged, insectile look of the Alien Warrior close to their hearts. For some, this was the first incarnation of the Alien they've been exposed to:

aliens-05.jpg

It's no secret we love the second movie (and of course, the big, bad original :)). Hard to believe it's been a quarter of a century since the larger-than-life Marine characters from "Aliens" went up against those nasty bugs. Even "Alien 3" was one of my absolute favorites -- the entire trilogy (not counting "Resurrection", which while fun, seemed to attempt to revive a finished set of films) was directed by some of the most well-known and sought-after directors in Hollywood.

Last edited:
Re: "Aliens" Turns 25 Next Year!

I know some here disagree but I think its a fantastic sequel, one of the best. I think its a natural and believable continuation of the universe shown in the first film. The only downside, which was kind of inevitable I think, was the reduction of the invincible alien into something still frightening but also very killable.

The way I see it, the film had to have guns, story-wise it was the only believable way Ripley would go back to LV-426, and those guns had to be effective and useful against the creature or the film would be over in 10 minutes.

Some would say it's the Dark Knight to ALIEN's Batman Begins.

Yup. One of the greatest movies ever, and I'll even go as far to say that I prefer it over the original. Alien will always be the original scarefest, but as far as complete badassery in a movie---Aliens takes it.

They need to rename this site BATMAN FREAKS because EVERY conversation at one time or another turns into a Dark Knight related wank fest.

Last edited:

Now that you mention it Blade I also saw Aliens many times before I saw Alien so that maybe has a hand in how I feel about it. Mind you I remember being very eager to see Alien for the first time. Can't really recall what my first impression was though.

I don't know why you're making this thread a year in advance :dunno

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE both ALIEN and Aliens, but seems to me like you could have waited another year. Will this thread be around then?

Maybe because the anniversary is coming up (it came out on . . . JULY 18th? RUH ROH, CONSPIRACY TIME)?

Who knows why.

I remember watching that for the first time and being blown away by seeing the Alien Queen for the first time. Movies now-a-days lack those memorable moments like that.

Actually watched this streaming form netflix in HD,,totally love this movie,,cant believe its 25 years next year,cant wait for this to be released on bluray:hi5:

Aliens is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. A complete masterpiece imo. First sci-fi movie I ever saw as well.

Never been a better time than the present. Start with the first one, go in order and don't go any further into the films than Aliens. ;)

I think that's the problem for me though. I didn't see them when I was young. They were hyped like crazy when I did get around to seeing them and they just didn't do much for me. Decent for me is all I could muster.

Alien 3 was actually really good for me, since it tied up a ribbon around the series and finalized it. Most people didn't recieve it very well, but it was my favorite. And the end wasn't actually too bad; Ripley ended up giving her life to destroy her enemy and everything afterwards --including the Company and its research -- went under.

Back