Alien: Isolation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's insane, yeah. I've used the dev kit a million times, but haven't played anything like this in VR, so I'm just as curious to experience it. We should be hearing first hand impressions from E3 pretty soon, so that could give us an idea at least. Being in a crowded room and hearing all that madness going on is probably an immersion killer, but for something like this, it might not matter.

I thought the main issue with VR was how fast it can reproduce images that keep up with you? So everything is lo rez......can it handle quality graphics now?

I thought the main issue with VR was how fast it can reproduce images that keep up with you? So everything is lo rez......can it handle quality graphics now?

The first commercial Rift will likely have a 90 hz oled screen with something they call "low persistence" technology. What that basically means is that it's capable of displaying up to 90 frames per second (I believe it's 90..might be a little higher) and has the ability to remove the blurry frames that can cause the image to smear when you look around. It also likely be a 1440p display. We'll probably need 4k eventually to get a totally smooth image since you're looking at a magnified image, but 1440k should still be pretty fantastic and require a good bit of processing power.

Anyways, yes we're at the stage where games like this can look great in VR. On the new dk2 that's coming out next month, we're still dealing with a 1080p, 75 fps screen, but low persistence is in place, so smearing should be a thing of the past.

Good to hear. I'm wondering if I should buy some kind of a controller ready for oculus. Keyboard and mouse may be difficult when your face is covered...

If you're planning to wait until the consumer Rift comes out, you might want to wait and see if they have a special control device planned. There's been a lot of rumors that Oculus will have some kind of motion control set up for VR. Something that gives you virtual hands in game. There's a number of other companies working on their own solutions as well. Right now, I use a 360 controller for Rifting because a keyboard is a problem for me. Once my hand comes off the keys, I have to pull the Rift up to get them back on the right ones again. Ultimately, if they don't have a solution that's ideal when the Rift offiically comes out, a controller will definitely be the most suitable option based on my experience.

I am in love with the visuals of this game. They did a fantastic job of recreating the 80s aesthetic (which was how MGSV was going to look like)

Seeing that it may come to Oculous has me interested in getting one. I wonder what the price will be. I remember initially SOny supported the Occuous, but i guess it wont be supported by PS4 any more :(

I am in love with the visuals of this game. They did a fantastic job of recreating the 80s aesthetic (which was how MGSV was going to look like)

Seeing that it may come to Oculous has me interested in getting one. I wonder what the price will be. I remember initially SOny supported the Occuous, but i guess it wont be supported by PS4 any more :(

The Rift will probably be in the $300 to $400 range. Sony never worked with OculusVR directly. They always do their own hardware, so the Rift was never going to be compatible with the PS4. The Morpheus looks really good so far though. I'm just not sure the PS4 can do a 1080p 3D render of Isolation and keep the fps at 60 without major sacrifices to these beautiful graphics. It may be possible though with a ton of very specific optimizing.

Still wish the Alien didn't have T-Rex legs. If they're going for a more classic look, they should've taken the Giger design and ran with it completely, humanoid legs and all.

Futurama-7.gif

The first commercial Rift will likely have a 90 hz oled screen with something they call "low persistence" technology. What that basically means is that it's capable of displaying up to 90 frames per second (I believe it's 90..might be a little higher) and has the ability to remove the blurry frames that can cause the image to smear when you look around. It also likely be a 1440p display. We'll probably need 4k eventually to get a totally smooth image since you're looking at a magnified image, but 1440k should still be pretty fantastic and require a good bit of processing power.

Anyways, yes we're at the stage where games like this can look great in VR. On the new dk2 that's coming out next month, we're still dealing with a 1080p, 75 fps screen, but low persistence is in place, so smearing should be a thing of the past.

Thanks for that; sounds excellent

Still wish the Alien didn't have T-Rex legs. If they're going for a more classic look, they should've taken the Giger design and ran with it completely, humanoid legs and all.

Agreed. Not sure why they went that route. Well at least Big Chap's upper half looks classic enough for me to try this game out. I disliked the new designs of that other so called Alien game.

Back