Akira

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Master

Super Freak
Reaction score
I did a search for this and only saw a thread about the live-action movie that's seemingly stuck in development Hell. This thread is about the one and only...

Akira-Movie-Poster-C10086478.jpg

One of my favorite movies ever and still a benchmark for Anime. An excellent storyline brought to life by timeless animation, an intriguing character ensemble, interesting themes and plenty of great action moments along with some truly bizarre and eerie scenes in it. I never get tired of this movie and hope if it gets made in live-action it's done justice because I think in the hands of the right director who's a fan of the anime that it can be incredible to see translate live. I've never read the original manga although I want to. I've heard the anime omits much of the original manga, which was epic-length.

Any Akira fans here?

It was a great movie. After everything I have heard about the Live Action adaptation, it won't be Akira on the big screen. Too bad, as it would make a bad ass movie for sure!

That's a shame, too. I think right now the movie Chronicle is the closest we'll be getting to a live-action Akira movie. I read that Akira was a big influence on Chronicle and it definitely shows. The director of Chronicle would be great to do a live-action Akira.

Love this movie. It was the first anime that I ever watched, and I loved it from the opening sequences. I remember buying a bootleg VHS tape of it at a comic book convention for $25. Now I have the beautiful Blu Ray of it, and the surround sound is awesome.

Love this movie. It was the first anime that I ever watched, and I loved it from the opening sequences. I remember buying a bootleg VHS tape of it at a comic book convention for $25. Now I have the beautiful Blu Ray of it, and the surround sound is awesome.

The Blu Ray is gorgeous. I was so bummed out I never pulled the trigger on it before it went out of print, but found a used copy for 20 bucks at fye! Made my day. Now I'll just use my dvd copy to lend to people and show them the awesome factor of Akira

The Blu Ray is gorgeous. I was so bummed out I never pulled the trigger on it before it went out of print, but found a used copy for 20 bucks at fye! Made my day. Now I'll just use my dvd copy to lend to people and show them the awesome factor of Akira

I ripped mine and put it on my Stora so I can stream it.It's saved on my perpetual "Watch Later" movie list.

Akira and Ronin Warriors got me into anime... and Dragonball Z pushed me down the rabbit hole. :clap

Akira and Karas are my top favorite Japanese OVA's/OAV's.

Ronin Warriors was awesome!!! I have the series on one of my hard drives somewhere. I might have to track down a better quality of it sometime.

Akira is not just one of the greatest animated movies ever but one of the greatest movies ever made. Period. If you like animation it is a feast to the eyes.

Classic animation. Must give it another look on blu ray. Haven't had a chance to watch it since my initial purchase.

Loved this movie! This film is actually what got me very interested in anime..... This and Star Blazers. Too bad the live-action won't happen for a long time but at least "Yamato" made it.

I'd love to see this in theaters. What was the crowd like when you saw it, if there was one?

When Bandai USA went under a few months ago, they apparently let the Akira license lapse or made a deal with FUNimation, who announced they now had the license during Otakon, so look for a new release from them soon, probably on both Blu-ray and DVD. Read the PR announcement here...

https://www.funimation.com/rojas/bl...nnounces-multiple-otakon-acquisitions/4470621

Back