Advice Needed on Major Decision

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I don't want to give the impression I'm not going to open the collection. In fact, I am a firm believer in DISPLAYING all my statues. If I keep it, I will eventually open every one single one up and display it in a dedicated cabinet.

I've just never had the space to do it before. I recently moved into a bigger house and got my own room so now have the opportunity to do so if I wished.

I think that the overall collection went displayed together would look incredible. So far including all preorders up to today there are 73 pieces total.

It's just that I am getting a little worn-out being a Star Wars 12 inch completist and don't know how much longer I can keep it up. It would be much easier to just buy the occasional bronze Sideshow puts out.

Both would give me great enjoyment in different ways. The bronze in terms of the sheer weight and artistic merit. The 12 inch collection in the depth and variety of characters and scenes.

It would also be real hard to sell the collection. After 5 years of work, I don't think I can stand to break up the complete set. I would have to sell as a complete set even if I lost some money off the top.

Dennis

Why not just keep the ones you really like and sell/cancel the others? It might be hard at first, but once you make the decision not to be a completist you'll be better off. Oh, and open your figures!

Maybe you should just wait for them to release their 1:6 Boba Fett, and see how that does for you. You're right that the whole collection displayed will be impressive, and it sounds like you've put some serious work into acquiring it. If the Boba Fett figure is as impressive to you as the bronze statue, why not save yourself the loss you'd take selling the whole collection, and just add Fett to it instead?

I think the best is yet to come for Star Wars 1:6, and this is the absolute worst time (economically) to sell them.

I never understood the "sell as a set" or "can't stand to break up the collection" mindset. If you are selling it what the hell do you care? :rotfl

Anyways be prepared to lose money. You will find out all that every piece is basically worthless compared to what you payed for it.

I would recommend keeping it and buying PF's and such from now on. Unless you enjoy the figures. Then keep going and who cares what they are worth.

With $ being the sole concern...sell now. Lucas' insatiable appetite for any and all Star Wars product is turning the franchise into a joke, and collectors are starting to take notice. Sell now before the 3D re-re-release backlash.

I'm not sure if this is a creepy coincidence or a sign, but this is hilarious!

What's funny about this post is that I was going to ask something pretty similar. My question was going to be that if I were to sell my SS 1/6 SW collection, should I sell it as a collection, or sell each figure individually. I have all the 1/6 figures (exclusives if that was an option) in the collection & the only pieces I'm missing are a couple of environments. Those are Jabba's Throne & Han in Carbonite. Other than that I have them all. Plus this post keeps me from doing the heartfelt speech on why I'm dropping out of 1/6 SW.

Well, not to draw attention away from the OP, but what you guys think. Sell as complete set, or piece by piece?

Thanks all in advance!

P.S. If anyone wants to hear my heartfelt reasons why I came to this decision, let me know & I'll do my best to not bore anyone with it.

P.S.S. Sorry OP for stealing a little of your thunder. I just didn't think there should be two topics for essentially talking about the same thing. :peace

Well, if any of you decide to sell your 1/6 star wars, I am looking for a Darth Vader. Actually I am wanting to trade the Sideshow Toht Exclusive figure I won from Spooktacular for one. Just wanted to throw that out there!

I kind of have my doubts that anyone has ever successfully sold a "complete set" of Sideshow 1/6 Star Wars figures, at least without taking a huge loss. Most people who are interested in the figures will already have at least a few, and few people who are new to the hobby are going to want to spend a premium to get a complete set. I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.

I kind of have my doubts that anyone has ever successfully sold a "complete set" of Sideshow 1/6 Star Wars figures, at least without taking a huge loss. Most people who are interested in the figures will already have at least a few, and few people who are new to the hobby are going to want to spend a premium to get a complete set. I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.

My gut has me feeling/leaning the same way. It just seems like too much to take on for one person in this economical state. I was thinking that if I do any kind of set, it would be one of all the EPIII clones troopers in one shot. I feel like that's only grouping that would sell.

True, you'd get more enjoyment out of them if they were opened. But the question isn't whether or not he should open them up, it's: what would he appreciate more? 59 unopened boxes, or one high end statue out on display?

(Of course, this is assuming that he'll display the statue and not keep it in the box!)

Opened or not, they're still MIB so long as you take care of them and keep the box looking great. ;)

Maybe you should just wait for them to release their 1:6 Boba Fett, and see how that does for you. You're right that the whole collection displayed will be impressive, and it sounds like you've put some serious work into acquiring it. If the Boba Fett figure is as impressive to you as the bronze statue, why not save yourself the loss you'd take selling the whole collection, and just add Fett to it instead?

I think the best is yet to come for Star Wars 1:6, and this is the absolute worst time (economically) to sell them.

:lecture:lecture:lecture With such a heavy investment in the 1:6 line already, that's not a bad idea. Besides, I think he'll look great with Han in Carbo.

Well, if any of you decide to sell your 1/6 star wars, I am looking for a Darth Vader. Actually I am wanting to trade the Sideshow Toht Exclusive figure I won from Spooktacular for one. Just wanted to throw that out there!

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol Yeah, good luck with that. :monkey4

Opened or not, they're still MIB so long as you take care of them and keep the box looking great. ;)

:lecture:lecture:lecture With such a heavy investment in the 1:6 line already, that's not a bad idea. Besides, I think he'll look great with Han in Carbo.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol Yeah, good luck with that. :monkey4

Is it not a reasonable offer? Just curious, because I have been tracking Sideshow Darth Vaders on eBay and they seem to be selling in the $150-200 range. The exclusive Toht figure sells for $170. Is it the price or do you think that I would need luck to find somebody that would trade Vader for Toht?

Once I get it from Sideshow I will put up for sale or trade for a Vader.

Is it not a reasonable offer? Just curious, because I have been tracking Sideshow Darth Vaders on eBay and they seem to be selling in the $150-200 range. The exclusive Toht figure sells for $170. Is it the price or do you think that I would need luck to find somebody that would trade Vader for Toht?

Once I get it from Sideshow I will put up for sale or trade for a Vader.

No, it's not reasonable at all. Vader's well up in the $200 range. Toht is not selling at the $170 mark. He's "pegwarming" at that price. You'd be lucky to get $100. Swing by the Indy boards and look up the Toht figure to give you an idea of what you're suggesting. :wink1:

No, it's not reasonable at all. Vader's well up in the $200 range. Toht is not selling at the $170 mark. He's "pegwarming" at that price. You'd be lucky to get $100. Swing by the Indy boards and look up the Toht figure to give you an idea of what you're suggesting. :wink1:

Will do, thanks for the insight. I have seen Vader sell for $150 on eBay though, must have been a steal. Maybe I can sell Toht for the upper half of Vader then?:yess:

If you're just gonna keep 'em in the box, then get rid of 'em. But wait until the economy picks up. The bronze Fett will, likely, still be there.

There's no point in keeping figures boxed up, but there is also no point in taking a huge hit on sales by selling in this down economy.

Personally do what makes you happy...If you just want the one statue sell off your collection and then use the money for it...If space is a factor 1 statue is better than 50+ figures and environments (and these numbers are going up)...

Personally I love the 1:6 figure more than the Bronze Fett...but that's me...

Wanted to give a quick update.

So after some analysis, I realized that selling 67 Sideshow Star Wars pieces just wasn't going to happen in a fashion that was going to get me anywhere close to my money back. So, I decided to think outside the box and work with a trade. In any case, I closed the deal today.

Let me know if you think it is fair:

Complete Sideshow Exclusive Collection 67 pieces all Exclusive (including the hot off the press Yoda Exclusive 12 inch)

for . . .

1. Sideshow 1:1 Endoskeleton version 2.0
2. Alien Warrior Maquette

Remember I live in California so I would have to pay 8.25% sales tax on anything I buy from Sideshow direct. I really couldn't find any deal on the Endoskeleton because to avoid tax, I had to go out of state and shipping becomes the issue. Also, really no significant discounts I could find from online retailers.

Finally, I was looking at being forced to use Flexpay anyway since I don't have 6k to drop and boom there goes sales tax.

Thus, would have had to spend probably close to 7k and change for those 2 collectibles.

I spent about 6500 and change on my Sideshow collection including tax and shipping during those 5 years so I basically broke even I think and maybe came out ahead by a few hundred all things being equal.

Picked up the Alien Warrior Maquette today and my goodness, it is a PHENOMENAL piece. Very happy with it.

Should get my 1:1 delivered to my house in about 3 months or so. Apparently the first 3 runs are already sold out but we'll see what happens in the next month or two.

So what do you guys think? Did I come up with a creative solution to my dilemma or what? I did the best I could with the circumstances.

Dennis

Sounds like a surprisingly good deal for you, to be honest. Just make sure you actually get the 1:1 Endo. It's brand new then? I'm not sure I understand why you need to wait for it.

It's the version 2.0 by Sideshow. Not set to be released until April of this year. The guy is an authorized Sideshow retailer and owns his own store so he is pretty trustworthy. Even wrote up a contract and signed it with me. Also I only gave him 20 pieces as a down payment so the bulk of the collection (the significantly more valuable pieces) are still with me. These will be picked up when he drops off the 5 boxes containing the Endoskeleton at my house in a few months.

Sideshow told him when he was placing the order that the first 3 waves were already sold out so my place in line would have me up in July. I'm amazed that this 6000 dollar collectible has sold so fast but we'll see. His Sideshow rep said it "may" be faster depending on cancellations and factory capacity etc.

I would be very interested in the final base and lights as well as how the switch in the head works.

Yeah, I'm overall pretty happy. It was a one in a million opportunity and I'm glad I found someone to work with on this. He's going to get a decent price break on the Endo as well so hopefully we'll both benefit from the transaction.

Dennis

Back