Advice Needed on Major Decision

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfchang

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since the beginning I have gotten every single Star Wars 1/6th scale 12 inch figure, environment, and expansion pack.

I've been there at every single PPO, gotten every 30th anniversay special, SDCC special, etc, etc.

Every product that has an exclusive, domestic exclusvie, or inclusive, I have.

All products are in mint/near mint condition and UNOPENED in original packaging.

At last count, this totaled 59 total products. I also have every single piece forthcoming on PPO as well.

At this point, I am at a crossroads in my collecting and I am now very tempted to try to sell this collection and with the funds generated, buy a Boba Fett Bronze.

The question is should I do this or not?

There are pros and cons on both sides.

I think that the Boba Fett Bronze is one of the best renditions of the character I've ever seen. Personally I like it even better than the Bowen version. It also would consolidate my collection into a truly spectacular piece and also save me from having to buy a separate display cabinet to showcase my 12 inch collection.

However, there is a lot of good to say about the Star Wars 12 inch collection as well. Taken and displayed as a whole, it would make for a truly awesome sight. Also, I very much enjoy the variety of characters that are made for the line. Everything from the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, the expanded universe, the Clone Wars, etc is possible.

Finally, if I DO decide to sell the collection, there is a problem in that I would much prefer to do it as a set. After literally 5 years of faithfully making every PPO, I would HATE to break up the collection.

There is one other guy who hangs out on these forums who have done what I have and he is selling his set for about 9000 (?) on Ebay.

At this point, I truly have no idea what fair market value is for something this massive. It may simply be to "big" to sell effectively. I know that MSRP for all of them is about 6300 or so (I have 2 extra Stormtroopers to pose with Vader that I bought in addition to the exclusive Stormtrooper). The VALUE is hard to gauge. Many individual figures have fallen but some have way skyrocketed in value.

So my question in a nutshell is:

1. Boba Fett Bronze for complete Star Wars 12 inch. Which would you choose?

2. What is your opinion on selling as set vs breaking it up?

3. What do you think is fair market value for a complete set? Only equivalent auction on Ebay is 9000 which I think is a bit high but breaking it down into individual pieces is impossible. Even toytracker.net has limited info on some of the pieces.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

Sellsellsell.jpg

Keep the 1:6. You'd take a HUGE hit selling them as they're not worth ____ right now anyways but at least people are buying them. Nobody's buying the bronze Boba. And unlike the bronze Boba, people will still actually want to buy the 1:6 later down the road when the economy picks up. Bronze Boba? Oh, he'll still be keeping Star Wars Frames company on Sideshow's website in the "overpriced" section of the GC list. :lol

Why don't you try to get Premium Format of Boba Fett or an Attakus/Gentle Giant Statues? You should collect more Premium Formats/Statues while slimming your connection down to a single character focus or characters.

I'd like to avoid buying statues that take up so much space like the PFs. I'd like to eventually consolidate them into a few high end pieces.

So for instance, I'm thinking about turning my 12 inch collection into a few bronze Star Wars items.

Thinking about turning Tychus Findlay, Doom Exclusive, AMP Maquette, and my LotR PFs into one lifesize Endoskeleton, etc.

I also save on the thousands needed to buy high end, lighted display cabinets to display all the PFs and comiquettes I own as well . . .

At least that's my thinking. After so many years in the game (close on to a decade) a part of me wants to simplify things. I don't want to sell my stuff in a garage sale either of course so I'm also looking to sell at decent to market value but these are the sorts of things that I'm debating internally.

Dennis

Why don't you try to get Premium Format of Boba Fett or an Attakus/Gentle Giant Statues? You should collect more Premium Formats/Statues while slimming your connection down to a single character focus or characters.

:exactly: worked like a charm for me and I couldn't be happier

There's a couple different issues here. First is the idea of selling your 1/6 scale figures. The sad truth is that you're not very likely to get enough money for a bronze Boba Fett, even if you sell all of your stuff. Frankly, these things just plummet in value as soon as you buy them, and not having opened them doesn't really affect the value much. (Why not open them, by the way?) You have almost no chance of getting a single buyer for everything (at least not at the prices you seem to want), so you'd have to split them up in any case. I'd be VERY surprised if that guy on ebay sells his collection for close to $9000.

As for the idea of concentrating on one or two high value items instead of a lot of smaller ones, I can see the appeal in that, and in fact I did something similar when I bought my life size C-3PO figure. But to be honest, I kind of regret it. You can get 20-25 PFs for the price of one life size figure. Getting a bronze makes even less sense to me, since they don't even have the "wow" factor that life size figures do. I think in the end I might have gotten more enjoyment if I chose to get a lot of smaller things spread over a longer period of time.

I would get rid of some of the figures that you don't really care about--I can't imagine that anyone really wants all the figures that have been released so far, keep the ones you like and sell the rest.

I don't think this is something where people would be impressed to know that you have the entire collection, these aren't action figures.

Personally, I wouldn't bother if i were you !. On the whole the 1/6th stuff will be worth peanuts unless you can sell to someone who really,really wants them (& has more money than sense), I imagine only a real hardcore collector would touch them & give you reasonable money for them & most hardcore collectors will probably already own them !.

so you just have a bunch of boxes with 1/6 figures inside them stacked up somewhere in your house and you want a bronze statue of Boba Fett?

so you just have a bunch of boxes with 1/6 figures inside them stacked up somewhere in your house and you want a bronze statue of Boba Fett?

Sounds like you want to sell them, but need a push. I'd say go for it. You won't get enough for the Fett statue, but will clear out some space and at least get some $$$ towards him.

The Boba Fett Bronze statue is awesome and all. But the $5,000 price tag is ridiculous. I'd say sell a bunch of the 1/6th scale you don't want and get the PF or something similar.

Personally..if I were to sell my 1/6 figures for a spectacular Fett statue..I wouldnt be waisting it on a Bronze version...for less than the price of a Bronze Fett you could get an amazing lifesize replica of Fett. Much more impressive than a bronze statue.

I had to make a similar decision after I got married, since I had a ton of Star Wars toys sitting in boxes, and my wife was not about to let me display them anywhere (nor I think, could I physically have managed it without some huge house). However, she was fine with my displaying more high end stuff, so I ended up selling off dozens of boxes of toys (and some collectibles) and focusing on more high end stuff, like the life size C-3PO and R2-D2. At least now, I can enjoy them as opposed to just looking at boxes all the time. I think you will get a lot more enjoyment out of your Fett than your boxes of figures. Good luck!

I had to make a similar decision after I got married, since I had a ton of Star Wars toys sitting in boxes, and my wife was not about to let me display them anywhere (nor I think, could I physically have managed it without some huge house). However, she was fine with my displaying more high end stuff, so I ended up selling off dozens of boxes of toys (and some collectibles) and focusing on more high end stuff, like the life size C-3PO and R2-D2. At least now, I can enjoy them as opposed to just looking at boxes all the time. I think you will get a lot more enjoyment out of your Fett than your boxes of figures. Good luck!

:cuckoo: No, you'd get more enjoyment out of your figures if you opened them up. :lecture:lecture:lecture

:cuckoo: No, you'd get more enjoyment out of your figures if you opened them up. :lecture:lecture:lecture

True, you'd get more enjoyment out of them if they were opened. But the question isn't whether or not he should open them up, it's: what would he appreciate more? 59 unopened boxes, or one high end statue out on display?

(Of course, this is assuming that he'll display the statue and not keep it in the box!)

Back