Ada's aging Indy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel sorry for the person who commissioned her to make that head!

Man, what's with this attitude? Most of the people who are the most judgemental here likely don't have an ounce of talent at doing anything artistic. But they convince themselves they're better because they think they've got superior "taste" or "judgement."

Think again. Not too hard to criticize anything. But I know I couldn't come up with a sculpt even half that good, so I don't see the need to be such a **** about it.

Man, what's with this attitude? Most of the people who are the most judgemental here likely don't have an ounce of talent at doing anything artistic. But they convince themselves they're better because they think they've got superior "taste" or "judgement."

Think again. Not too hard to criticize anything. But I know I couldn't come up with a sculpt even half that good, so I don't see the need to be such a **** about it.

I think it may be the fact that she's trying to pass off and potentially market her failed Dr. Smith sculpt as old Indy? :huh Just a hunch. Why, are you telling us that's a spot-on, fantastic likeness of Harrison Ford? Even though it's not the aged Indy, I think Hasbro's Whip Action Indy likeness is far superior to that. Hell, maybe even the retarded Robin Williams talking Indy's likeness too.

I think it may be the fact that she's trying to pass off and potentially market her failed Dr. Smith sculpt as old Indy?

And that justifies being a **** how, exactly? At least she's got side by side comparison pics with photos of Harrison Ford, so you can make up your own mind whether it's a reasonable likeness or not.

No one's got a gun to your head forcing you to buy it. Again, unless you can come up with a better Ford sculpt on your own, I see no need to be a complete **** about this, as if behaving that way somehow makes you less of a loser.

This head sculpt is still closer to Harrison than Cinemaquette's is, and look how much they're charging for that one...

The comment was about the person who commissioned it, since it costs around $200 to have her commission a head, and to have it turn out like that would be disappointing to say the least. (Although frankly they should have known better than to expect a great Harrison Ford sculpt. She's done some pretty good stuff as I said earlier, but Harrison Ford's likeness has stymied some of the most talented sculptors out there.)

I should also say that when you're doing this as a business, you're fair game to criticism. If this was someone doing it as part of their hobby, my reaction would be different.

I should also say that when you're doing this as a business, you're fair game to criticism. If this was someone doing it as part of their hobby, my reaction would be different.

Honest criticism is one thing -- and I've said on this thread I don't think that sculpt is a particularly good likeness of Ford.

Being a complete *** about it is another. From her website, it looks like this is a person who works independently, not for some big company. Her livelihood might be at stake here, so mocking her is uncalled for, especially if you can't do better. Like I said, no one's forcing you to buy it, and you are no less a loser for acting like you've got superior sensibilities, when you probably have no creative talent whatsoever.

I mean, I'm willing to bet you couldn't come up with a sculpt half as good, even if doing so was the only way you could avoid a prison-style gang rape.

By chance was this head sculpt made for you?

Honest criticism is one thing -- and I've said on this thread I don't think that sculpt is a particularly good likeness of Ford.

Being a complete *** about it is another. From her website, it looks like this is a person who works independently, not for some big company. Her livelihood might be at stake here, so mocking her is uncalled for, especially if you can't do better. Like I said, no one's forcing you to buy it, and you are no less a loser for acting like you've got superior sensibilities, when you probably have no creative talent whatsoever.

I mean, I'm willing to bet you couldn't come up with a sculpt half as good, even if doing so was the only way you could avoid a prison-style gang rape.

Well also the fact that some of her dealings have been questionable might be part of the reaction. Its a bad sculpt, and a good bit of her work is.... some is nice, but a bit of a crap shoot as you might end up with a pinhead figure if you aren't lucky.

Although not sure what prison-style gang rapes have to do with anything :huh

I just find it amusing that the guy chiding the rest of us for our lack of sensitivity has to use multiple swear words and a prison gang-rape metaphor to get his point across.

I have one of Ada's sculpts -- the Lance Henriksen "Bishop" -- and it's good. But I've also seen some pretty bad ones, and ones that are way too big or too small. It's not like Ada is a member here (as far as I know) so I'm not sure where the outrage is coming from.

I just find it amusing that the guy chiding the rest of us for our lack of sensitivity has to use multiple swear words and a prison gang-rape metaphor to get his point across.

So _you're_ the one deserving of gentle words?

Gentle words don't really reach "insensitive" types.

Club Obi - as an artist, Ada must have an idea if a sculpt she has made looks like the character/actor or not. Maybe she isn't aware that her head bares zero resemblance to old indy or Ford in general, and thinks it is spot on? I doubt that, however I think she could have done so much better. Maybe she needed more time to work on it. In any case, she made that for someone, and she isn't exactly cheap to commission, so that person should have got more accuracy (or effort) for their money.

And that justifies being a **** how, exactly? At least she's got side by side comparison pics with photos of Harrison Ford, so you can make up your own mind whether it's a reasonable likeness or not.

No one's got a gun to your head forcing you to buy it. Again, unless you can come up with a better Ford sculpt on your own, I see no need to be a complete **** about this, as if behaving that way somehow makes you less of a loser.

This head sculpt is still closer to Harrison than Cinemaquette's is, and look how much they're charging for that one...

The only loser here is the one (quoted above) defending that horrible sculpt. With all the name calling, show me where I was a complete "****" about it. And coming up with a better sculpt is easy. $10 Indy on clearance from Hasbro. Better sculpt, better likeness. Hell, for the price she charges for her custom sculpts, you could buy the complete Medicom KOTCS Indy figure which is a CONSIDERABLY better likeness. Perhaps instead of wasting effort here cursing out everyone for being honest, perhaps you should start a Lasik fund to have Ada's eyes fixed so she can see how bad her sculpt is, maybe stash a little on the side for your own. Any professional sculptor, in their right mind, with an ounce of self respect, would've been too embarrassed to display, let alone attempt to market a sculpt like that.

Any professional sculptor, in their right mind, with an ounce of self respect, would've been too embarrassed to display, let alone attempt to market a sculpt like that.

So...you're a professional sculptor, then?

Again, you're back in the prison-style gang rape scenario. I doubt you could come up with a better sculpt even if it were the only way to avoid such a situation.

Where on earth do you get this idea that you have to be able to out-perform someone to be able to tell if what they make is good or bad?

As we covered earlier, telling someone an opinion about their work is one thing. Being a **** about it is another.

Club Obi Wan. Don't put a pic up for criticism if your skin is too thin to handle it.

this is the internet, not exactly known for its tact.

Club Obi Wan. Don't put a pic up for criticism if your skin is too thin to handle it.

this is the internet, not exactly known for its tact.

Umm... What pic did I put up for criticism?

And...that's your best excuse? I mean, that works just as well in reverse. Seeing how I'm posting on the internet, too.

Back