Activision Threatens to Stop Supporting PlayStation 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
Reaction score
https://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/20002/Activision-Threatens-to-Stop-Supporting-PlayStation-3/

In an interview with British newspaper The Times, Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick has threatened to drop support for both the PlayStation 3 and the PSP as early as 2010. He points out to the fact that his company will be forced to so because business is business; the Xbox 360 and Wii are selling better than the PlayStation 3, giving better returns on investment.

"I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation," Kotick says.

It's not the first time that Kotick makes comments regarding the price of the new systems and in this interview he asks for a price drop one more time.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates [the number of games each console owner buys] are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony."

When the newspaper asked when, Kotick said: "When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP [portable] too."

Both IGN and Spong got comments from Sony:

"We respect our third parties opinions and their right to express those opinions but we will not be commenting on this story."

"PlayStation has tremendous momentum coming out of E3, and we are seeing positive growth with more than 350 titles slated to hit across all our platforms, including many anticipated games from our publishing partners. We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience."

Never knew that PS3 is currently losing momentum. Thought several months back their sales were higher than the Xbox360. Guess I was wrong.

I think they are higher for other developersmaybe, this is just one of the many developers out there. I wouldn't assume that playstation is going away by any means. activision may just be doing better on the wii and 360,

Ps3 needs a price drop bad, everyone was expecting one at e3 and they refused to do it.
At this point im not sure i even want one for blu ray (im not buying all my dvds again) and its taken them what 3 years to come out with any real exciting games (infamous/metal gear)...400 is just too much for a console, i got a 360, no reason to get a ps3...

PS3 automatically downgrades Blu-ray and DVD on my 1080i tv to 480. I know I know I need a 1080p but thats weak.

PS3 automatically downgrades Blu-ray and DVD on my 1080i tv to 480. I know I know I need a 1080p but thats weak.

are you using an hdmi cable and did you set the options to make it run at 1080i?

That's not the PS3's fault, that's yours. . . to be perfectly honest. And besides, you can set it to display at 1080i. You can have it automatically detect the "best" settings, or manually adjust it yourself. On my 720p TV, it's auto-detects it at 1080i, but I set it to 720p.

As far as Activision goes. . . that's pure posturing. There's no way they wouldn't support PS3. I'm sure they'd lose a substantial portion of revenue, if they didn't put out any PS3 games. The follow-up on Kotaku suggests that Activision is more upset by the royalties they have to pay Sony.

Either way, Activision sucks, they've been responsible for SO MANY crummy games over the years, they just love to cash in.

Ps3 needs a price drop bad, everyone was expecting one at e3 and they refused to do it.
At this point im not sure i even want one for blu ray (im not buying all my dvds again) and its taken them what 3 years to come out with any real exciting games (infamous/metal gear)...400 is just too much for a console, i got a 360, no reason to get a ps3...

Agreed. I was as suprized as any when they didn't announce a price drop at E3 especially when the PS2 out sold it recently. I'm dying for a PS3 (mainly for GOW3) but $400 + is really stretching it especially with the economy the way it is.

I am more concerned about Blu-Ray really hitting its stride much more than the PS3. In reality mine is nothing more than a glorified BR player any way. I love the BR Quality when watching movies but am fine with what 360 give out.

Agreed. I was as suprized as any when they didn't announce a price drop at E3 especially when the PS2 out sold it recently. I'm dying for a PS3 (mainly for GOW3) but $400 + is really stretching it especially with the economy the way it is.

yeah that game will rule

p.s. hopefully no one saw my original post, i am so dumb sometimes.

DO IT! Do it Activision, I dare ya! :lol

Empty threats and bruised egos abound! Does Activision actually make games that aren't Guitar Hero anymore?

yeah that game will rule

p.s. hopefully no one saw my original post, i am so dumb sometimes.

Hint: Kratos.

p.s. I saw your original post before your ninja edit. :D

PS3 is dead last in the current console race as it is. Even with a price drop Sony wouldn't make any money from console sales. They'd actually lose even MORE than they already have been. :duh

Activision actually makes a few games that without them, they'd be hurting. Call of Duty and even Guitar Hero could cripple the PS3 if they no longer get released on there. Other publishers may follow Activisions lead if they go through with it too further crippling the PS3.

The Ps3 looks to have a killer year, that Activision rep is just pissed because IW makes better games.

Nah it's more than that, a lot of 3rd party publishers did the same thing when the N64 was trailing, XBOX, Dreamcast, etc. After awhile it stops making sense to put out games for a system when the profit margin is so small. PS3 is dead last as I said, so the user installed base is smaller than Wii and 360. You want your game to reach the biggest audience to make the most money.. and it doesn't help that the PS3 is the hardest system to develop for. Sony F'd themselves this cycle because they thought they were untouchable based off the success of the PS and PS2. They had a really smug attitude going into this cycle of hardware + a bloated price for their console. And it sucks because there's a lot of cool games on PS3 and more coming.. but at this point it's irrelevant. There's nothing Sony can do to make up for the MASSIVE amount of money they've already lost with the PS3.

Back