Accurizing Kane & Dallas: a full list of fixes required

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthrapoid

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here is a list of needed fixes for Kane and Dallas. Besides the obvious head sculpt for Kane, there are a surprising number of details which can be made movie-accurate with a bit of work.

I will be editing this post by adding more numbered fixes below, as I discover them. Also, I will insert detailed information about how I fixed each one, and add pictures to each fix as they are completed.

GREEN TEXT means the fix is complete, details and photos are below.

I encourage feedback, and any additional fixes which other collectors/customizers wish to add. Here we go!

1. NEW JOHN HURT FACE!!!
Here is a link to a couple of photos of my finished custom Kane head sculpt: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1226668&postcount=106

2. Replace incorrect boots with custom-made correct ones. This is an important one for me, and I will be sculpting and casting the correct set of boots soon, and making them available to other collectors.

3. Lower helmets on shoulders, to make faces more properly framed in helmets, and reduce excessive broad-shoulderedness of shoulder guards.

4. Increase pale green 'corrosion' effect on helmet, shoulder guards, backpack, chest plate, wrist bands, and control box below chest plate.

5. Add triangular emblem patches to left rear pockets of space suits; American for Dallas (and Lambert) and British for Kane.

6. Make Kane 5 scale inches shorter than Dallas.

7. reduce excessive brightness of internal helmet lights. (I'm not including any pictures for this one.) I just dabbed some brown acrylic paint onto the three internal helmet lights, and it worked fine. The lights show right through the paint, at the perfect level of brightness.

8. Replace silver tip of sidearm lower scope with clear plastic copy.

9. Change metalic color scheme of pistol (leave the handle grip black) add dust and scratches.

10. Add metalic gold features to rectangular panels on two lower layers of shoulder guards, left and right.

11. Add 'egyptian' wings emblem to rectangular panel above nameplate on chest armor.

12. On rear of shoulder guards, fix metalic gold cross-hatching in the rectangular panes, left and right: seven gold strips overlapping diagonally with seven gold strips, against black background.

13. On backpack, the correct order of the colored lights from top to bottom should be: green - blue - yellow - red... (The order as they are now, is: blue - yellow - green - red)

14. On helmet: Add metalic silver and flat red paint to small peg-shaped features on helmet sides.

15. Abdomenal control box: Accurize! This modification will require considerable work to make the control box movie-accurate. Fortunately, thanks to ukwookie, we have a lot of great reference photos to guide us at this link: https://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=410252102

16. On knee/shin pads, remove rusty yellow stain in cracks, replace with dark grey and black/oily smudges.

17. On glass helmet shield, add dust and 'foggy' effect.

18. On bronze wrist bands, mix some acrylic copper & bronze paint; add some very small shiny highlights. Add a bit of pale green corrosion.

19. On helmet mounting collar, drill tiny holes through four triangular bronze tabs.

20. Rotate gun belt so that silver buckle is located on right rear pocket area, NOT front center.

21. On space suit; the laces on the arms and legs over the bands of color should not be white. At a distance, they appear to match the color of the colored bands closely. Close-up, they appear to be a very dirty white, almost a brown leather color.
(This will require a special kind of flexible silicone paint.)

22. On space suits; on the back of the legs behind the knee pad, there should be a rectangular region of bright color from the knee level down to mid-calf.
The color should be the same as the crew member's individual color scheme. Red for Dallas, etc.
I'm still trying to research this one for accuracy, but I can't find any more close-up pictures beyond the ones I already have.
As far as I can tell, the bright patch of colored cloth wraps around the leg of the space suit at the same level where the pocket is located on the back of the lower legs, but the pockets themselves remain their original faded pink color. The bright color 'frames' them, extending 3/16 inch above the pockets and 3/16 inch below them.
Horizontally, the color wraps around the whole back of the leg, starting and ending at the edges of the knee pad.
(This will require a special kind of flexible silicone paint.)

23. On backpack: move the attachment point for the large hose from the left valve to the centre of the top tank.(credit goes to ukwookie for this one.)

24. On helmet: The two thin rods which stick out from below the center of the face shield need to be cut in length by two-thirds. In the film, the two round 'balls' on either side of the rods stick out much further than the rods do.

25. On helmet: Add three additional LED lights to lower rear of helmet, and four more near the top rear. The detail on the helmet shows exactly where the lights belong, they just need to be cut out and replaced with real lights.
The three at the lower rear looks like a doable job; but the four near the top rear of the helmet would be impossible without moving the on/off button about 1/4 inch lower; The on/off button is placed right where those four belong.
This fix requires that you tap into the existing power circuit, so it's for advanced customizers only. However, there is plenty of room inside the helmet for the lower three lights to fit, and the on/off button MIGHT be movable to a lower position to make room for the upper four lights... Proceed if you dare!

26. The GLOVES: Either modify the existing gloves, or fabricate custom made gloves to match movie detail. I have gathered several photos of old Hockey gloves, and the ones which most closely resemble those used in the film are 1974 COOPER 30 Armadillo Thumb hockey gloves. I have posted some pictures for reference: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1199976&postcount=100

27. Inside helmet, paint dirty white along rim of interior panel inside the bottom of face shield.
Details and photos here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1232801&postcount=112

28. Inside helmet, grind down front and back of rim so heads can pass through without scraping.
Details and photos here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1233115&postcount=113

29. Inside helmet, grind down back of interior under black sticky padding, so the heads of the figures have room to look forward or up. Before I did this fix, I noticed the heads of the figures were being pushed forward so they always looked in a down direction. Here's a link showing how I fixed this: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1239695&postcount=126

Obviously some of these fixes are more important than others, and some may not even be possible.

I hope there are at least a few total fanatics out there who will make this thread as active as it should be, add their feedback and their ideas.

As I mentioned at the top, I will be performing as many of these fixes as I can, and I will provide ample photos to show the accurate movie details and the results of my obsessive tinkering.

Last edited:
Yikes !. The majority I would never risk due to not having the expertise ( and probably patience ) to do so but I look forward to seeing any photos after mods. :rock

Do you have reference pics that you are using? I would appreciate being able to follow along with pictures, as I don't read too good. :)

Yikes !. The majority I would never risk due to not having the expertise ( and probably patience ) to do so but I look forward to seeing any photos after mods. :rock

Pics will definitely help. I started a Hicks thread like this a long time ago and it didn't do much good until the pics started popping up to show people what the difference is. I'd do most of this stuff if I had some visual guidance. I'm no expert on these suits so I appreciate someone pointing out the details.

Yes, here comes the first batch of photos; some references to illustrate the original movie details I am going to be fixing. First, the clear plastic tip on the lower scope of the pistol. Next, the pale green copper corrosion on the armor. Next, the lights on the backpack / gold detail on shoulder guards. Lastly, a shot of the British emblem patch on Kane's left rear pocket.

Last edited:
Here's the next batch. First, another shot of the pocket patches; Dallas & Kane. Next is the left rear pocket of the HT Dallas figure, showing where the patch belongs on the suit. The flat triangle is already molded in place, just waiting to be covered by the patch. The next two pictures I created in Photoshop, using accurate references. I will be reducing them and printing them on some sort of waterproof stock, then gluing them directly onto the space suits. The last photo in the group shows just how much shorter John Hurt really is compared to Tom Skerrit. And Lambert & Ash- what a couple of shrimps!

Last edited:
Someone should paint Dallas' suit to a beige color. Accurate or not, anything is better then freaking pink.

Fixes 3, 4, 15 and 16: Complete.

The shin pads:

First, I removed the knee/shin pads, by sliding them up and out of the restraining bands so I wouldn't need to unbuckle them.

Next, I used a solvent designed to break down cyanoacrylate (super) glue. You can get it at any hobby supply store, and it will instantly melt just about any kind of paint on contact. I used a paint brush with very short square bristles, and dropped two drops of the solvent into it.

I carefully scrubbed the yellow-brown color out of the folds, making sure not to touch the brown trim around the edges.

After each seperate scrub, I used a drop of the solvent to clean the old paint out of the brush before doing the next scrub. This way I would not be putting the old paint back onto the surface.

After almost all of the old paint was cleaned off, (I did leave a little bit here and there) I washed the shin pad with warm water and soap, to deactivate and remove the solvent.

Finally, I used some black acrylic paint to gently smear on some marks and smudges, to match the movie detail as closely as possible. I'm going to make the smudges and stains more detailed and realistic soon, but you get the idea.

If you study the film photos, you will see the difference. The original yellow-brown paint just didn't look realistic at all; it looked like the manufacterers slopped some paint into the cracks- which is exactly what they did. Logically, the crack and folds would be the cleanest places, and the dirt and smudges would be on the raised areas, like they were in the film.

The green armor patina & lowering the helmet:

To lower the helmet, I used the process described at this link: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1176178&postcount=36

For the green corrosion patina, I used an acrylic paint called... uh... 'Patina' oddly enough, color #444 made by FolkArt. It's the perfect color for copper corrosion effects. Note: In the photos below, I have not yet applied the patina to the wrist bands.

Again, this is far more accurate than the very slight ammount of patina corrosion of the original item out of the box. The movie costumes were made to look like they had some extreme metal corrosion, highlighted by shiny bronze.

You can also see that I repainted the long cylinder which runs down the left side of the control box below the chest plate.

Last edited:
Fix 9: complete.

The Sidearm:

Here's some pictures to show the sidearm before and after the repaint. This will give you an idea of how your pistols could look much closer to film-accurate.

With enamel paint: I mixed black + aluminum + olive green for the metal color, then used a thinned wash of yellow + olive, to give that strange greenish tint. A bit of thinned black wash to create darker tone variations, and voila.

The slight lumpy texture of the paint actually made the gun look like it has small dents and surface scratches, which I like.

Last edited:
I'm on the verge of completing a new Kane headsculpt. Getting a likeness of John Hurt was tough but I think I've got it. Should have it complete at the weekend with photos to follow next week. I'll keep everyone posted. :cool:

I'm on the verge of completing a new Kane headsculpt. Getting a likeness of John Hurt was tough but I think I've got it. Should have it complete at the weekend with photos to follow next week. I'll keep everyone posted. :cool:
I'm going to be making one as well. I have tracked down several good close-up photos of JH as reference, back in that era.
I'm sure there are going to be at least four or five different versions to choose from on ebay in the coming weeks and months.

I for one, am very excited to be making the CORRECT BOOTS to go with the space suits. It was an unfortunate blunder by HT that they used the boots from the Nostromo emergency space suits, instead of the proper EVA 'Moebius' designed boots. I tried to tell them seven months ago, but...
It will be very gratifying to finally snap on the correct boots.
I'm going to post pictures soon, to show all of you what I'm talking about.

My skills are advanced in this field, and I'll be happy to sell pairs of high quality boots to interested collectors when they are finished.

If you would like to see some of my custom figures, visit this link: https://www.figurerealm.com/ViewCustoms.php?UID=1859

... I even created a custom 'Bishop' from ALIENS, Sean Connery from ZARDOZ and Treebeard & the Mordor Troll Chieftain from LOTR- (the one that faced down Aragorn at the end of Return of the King) Have a look!

Last edited:
Back