Abbott and Costello Meet . . .

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Abbott and Costello meet . . .

Okay... so now that Bud and Lou heads will be made available sometime in the near future, What bodies should I use for them?

Abbott was 5'8" and Costello was 5'5".

These will be my first 1/6th custom figures so any help or advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks!

You've certainly picked a good duo to start with. To my knowledge however, without some height altering "surgery" on each figure they don't have a 1:6 height equivalent. I am planning on a DML for Abbott and am contemplating a fattening up of a Yamato body for Costello. The latter is only if I can get the head cast to fit that type neck though. If not, then I'll have to rethink it.
But... now that they are on the way, how much longer of a wait for Slip, Satch, Whitey and Gabe?

Thanks I-man. I was thinking a SS short body for Bud. I will have to look into the Yamato for Lou. And I think you're right about the height altering surgery for Lou.

And yeah the Bowery Boys, East Side Kids, Dead End Kids would be cool. Laurel and Hardy would also be must haves.

But first things first. Must get the Abbott and Costello heads. They are the ones I want most of all!

They're heere, they're here.
And I don't think that they'll go the way of Sideshow's Happy Days line so we're safe!!

Alright...

I am going to start on the accessories for my A & C Meet Frankenstein Dio of McDougal's House of Horrors.

I already have made Dracula's Coffin. The pics are below. I still have to put on Dracula's crest.

The next things I will be working on are:

Frank's Crate with hinges on the sides for the break-away effect. This will be made out of balsa wood the same as Drac's Coffin.

Candle and candle holder.

Dracula's legend placard.

Frankenstein's legend placard.

2 crowbars.

Am I missing anything?

The clothes I will start on as soon as I have the heads and bodies for Bud and Lou. I am thinking of Brando's "Wild One" Hat if I can find one for Chick and Wilber's delivery outfits but I am always on the look-out for something better.

I just got back from Pearl Paint and purchased some balsa for Frankie's crate. $25 worth of balsa. I re-watched the House of Horrors scene yesterday and made my calculations about the dimensions and make up of the crate.

This thing will be massive. The height will be 6", width 6" and length 15". I will post pictures when I get further along in the build. It should be a fairly easy one, that is if I don't run into any trouble.

Last edited:

This is awesome, looking forward to seeing more.

Sean (who's waiting for Laurel and Hardy and WC Fields!)

Thanks so much for your kind words, Crawler. I'm not a huge W.C. Fields fan but I would love to see someone try and tackle Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy.

Frankie's crate is about 1/2 way done. The hinges for the break-away effect didn't work out. It does look good so far though. I will post some pics when it is complete.

Last edited:

Thanks so much for your kind words, Crawler. I'm not a huge W.C. Fields fan but I would love to see someone try and tackle Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy.

Frankie's crate is about 1/2 way done. The hinges for the break-away effect didn't work out. It does look good so far though. I will post some pics when it is complete.

Sorry if I missed it but what outfits are you going to use? Something custom made, I imagine?

And any idea when those Abbot and Costello heads that guy is making will be available?

Sean

Mr. Barlow (Russ) said he will most likely release Bud and Lou as a set.
I don't believe he is finished working on them yet. As far as timeline... It seems he is working on many things so we will have to be patient...

He is charging $40.00 a head on his website for Sallah, so I'm figuring Abbott and Costello will be $80.00 for the pair once they are complete and he puts them up for sale. Also you have to figure in shipping and handeling.

But that's just a guess.

As for the outfits... I think I will have to make them from scratch due to Lou's girth.

Last edited:

Construction on Frankie's crate is done. The next thing I need to do with it, is to get some dry letter transfers to stencil on shipping instructions on to the sides of the crate. I'll have to re-watch the beginning scenes to get the proper placement and wording. I will also be weathering it a bit but I don't plan on painting it or staining it because to be it looks to be about the right color... that is if you can judge color from a black and white film.

I may work on the candle and candle holder next. Stay tuned I have a great idea for making the candle holder with absolutely no work and I think if I find just the right thing It will be spectacular.

This candle holder idea, if it works out would be great for any horror character and it should be a snap.

Oh here are some blurry shots of Frankie and Drac patiently waiting for their co-stars Bud and Lou.

Last edited:

That looks great! Are you going to use the delivery man uniform or dress Bud to match Talbot?

I plan on dressing Bud and Lou in the baggage handlers uniforms which I will be making for them.

Candle and candle stick holder turned out just great, really easy to make. I will post pic's and a how to do very soon!

Looking forward to it, this is a really cool project.

Do you have patterns that you can make work for the outfits? If so where did you get them?

Sean

No Sean, I don't have any patterns... I plan on just winging it when it comes to making the uniforms. I'll just make it up as I go along. I won't be starting on them until I get the heads and bodies.

Here are some shots of the candle and candle stick holder. It was really easy to put together. The candle stick holder is just a knob for a cabinet or drawer that I got from Ace Hardware. The candle is a wooden dowel with the bottom shaved down to fit in the hole where the screw for the knob would go. The wax drippings was made with Friendly Plastic which melts in boiling water. The wick was made with a piece of wire.

A little Black and white paint and it was done.

I used Henry Jones Sr. to show the scale. I'm very happy with it. Next I'm going to get started on the survival hatchet.

I found the perfect body for Lou Costello today at Blick art materials. It stands at just under 11" which translates to about 5'4". Lou's recorded height was 5'5" so it is just about perfect. On the website the height of the figure is 12" but I measured it and it really is a little less than 11".

There are some problems though it is listed on the website as $50.00. I think that is a little pricey. It still needs to be fattened up. I plan on using the technique in the photo below to make him his chubby self.

The good thing: This will eliminate any height altering surgery, so it may be worth the price. All the joints are tight, there are magnets in the feet, it comes with two neck adapters and an extra pair of fisted hands.

Here is a link:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/manga-manikins/

Last edited:

I have completed the survival hatchet that Bud uses to help open Frankie's Crate. It came out very well, and I hope to post some shots of it in a little while.

Next up will be the crow bar that Lou uses. Then I'll start on the placards with Dracula's and Frankenstein's Legends.

Then there will be the wait until the head sculpts of Bud and Lou are completed and up for sale by Mr. Barlow.

Back