A Quiet Place

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only guess you’re referring to the ‘tribe’ comment by crows. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t referring to Jewish people...

A6B9879B-7E37-4898-8310-78CB92BFBAC1.jpeg

Raccoons did not bother me really.. But the brother grabbing the sisters hand was almost as bad as the had on the shower door.

Like I said in my PM.. I think I have just learned to accept the jump scare... Very few horror films not called "The Witch" don't use them. The film did not just rely on them so it gets bonus points from me.

I guess I have some additional forgiveness because I like the characters a lot.. I like the use of quiet and I liked the look / directing in the film.

the problem is how much jump scares are used, what frequency they are used

look at IT, they were very good at not using jump scares too much. not all horror movies have jump scares every 10 minutes
look at insidious, they have jump scares that are followed by real scares. their jump scares involve the demons

saw 1 never had any jump scares, cabin in the woods barely had any, not all horror movies have them

Battlefront 2 Ewok hunt mode is set at night with flashlights it’s scary as all hell Endor is now spooky :lol

Endor has been turned into a horror movie set. :lol

BF2 scarier than AQP who would’ve ever imagined.

saw 1 never had any jump scares, cabin in the woods barely had any, not all horror movies have them

Did you forget about the Opening Titles ??? :lol

Yes not all horror movies have them... But many do. Even the classics like JAWS, The Exorcist, Jurassic Park, ALIEN, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead.. etc..

Actually SAW does use it with the Pig mask in the closet scene... I am not 100% you are right about Cabin in the Woods either.. But maybe..

Difference is they use proper jump scares were the Jump is from something real. The Fake out jump scares are frustrating.

I am just saying that I am immune to them for the most part. I might role my eyes but if the film is good overall I can give them a pass.

Last edited:
:lol 10 Cloverfield, The Shallows, and Get Out.. Three "thrillers" that I was less then thrilled with.. Maybe I do like Jump scares :lol

Actually I liked 10 Cloverfield until the end..

Well I wasn't rating those movies just citing them as recent examples of thrillers that didn't rely on pervasive jump scares. :)

I caught it last night too and completely agree with your sentiments, including thank god it was only $5.

It was a poor man’s version of Signs, but Signs had tension and atmosphere (my favorite thing in a movie when done right) you could cut with a knife. This relied on its one trick premise with deafening sound for every little thing that happened, and it had the classic horror movie misstep of filling the center portion of the film with people walking around and building to false jump scares.

I mean your other posts get into the rest of the logic holes I saw too so I’m not going to repeat all that.. but the monsters... :lol

Don’t know how this is sitting at 95% on RT.

Your listing of movies is pretty spot on to mine too, except I would put BP above this and tomb raider. I haven’t seen 12 strong. Death wish was fun.

:rock :duff

I spoiler tagged it great idea.

Now Khev just has to do the same on his response to my post lol

I deleted the spoiler part that I quoted right after Popnfresh made mention of it, lol.

Well I wasn't rating those movies just citing them as recent examples of thrillers that didn't rely on pervasive jump scares. :)

I did not mean to come across as laughing at those example... It was just funny when I saw them and I was like... "Man I am not a huge fan of any of those"

I did not mean to come across as laughing at those example... It was just funny when I saw them and I was like... "Man I am not a huge fan of any of those"

I actually loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. Watched it again at home recently (after just seeing it once in the theater) and it was even better than I had remembered. Get Out was actually quite riveting in parts but unfortunately I watched it way after the hype had set in and came away thinking it was good buy not *that* good.

And for the record I'm not against "jump scares" straight across the board. It can be quite fun to be startled if it isn't just a cheap blast of sound for no reason. The dog barking at the girl in Signs or the goat leg hitting the truck in Jurassic Park are great examples of legit scares that work. Where you jump in your seat and then immediately laugh thinking "good one."

There was some horror movie trailer (I can't remember which, probably a Conjuring movie) that I think they showed before The VVitch that had a great scare. It was the one where the girl is in the room and then all the crosses start turning upside down. Then some ghost dude comes out of the dark corner. That freaked me out and had me laughing with respect and that was just the trailer, lol.

But the cheap "someone gets abruptly grabbed but then it turns out to be a friend" or "crew member throws a cat/squirrel/raccoon at a cast member which hisses/screeches loudly for no reason" cliches just annoy me and AQP just had too many of those IMO.

Did you forget about the Opening Titles ??? :lol

Yes not all horror movies have them... But many do. Even the classics like JAWS, The Exorcist, Jurassic Park, ALIEN, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead.. etc..

Actually SAW does use it with the Pig mask in the closet scene... I am not 100% you are right about Cabin in the Woods either.. But maybe..

Difference is they use proper jump scares were the Jump is from something real. The Fake out jump scares are frustrating.

I am just saying that I am immune to them for the most part. I might role my eyes but if the film is good overall I can give them a pass.

saw has like 2 jump scares then, and both of them were real jump scares not fake ones

cabin in the woods couldnt rely on jump scares because whenever the group was gonna get scared you would cut to the guys in the control room.

how many fake jump scares did this have? where nothing bad happened but they added a jump scare even though the cause was something innocent? how many?

What’s funny is that other than TLJ and Thor 3 I have been ragging on all my recent movies and even Thor 3 is just silly fun.

But JL, BP, Pacific Rim 2, RPO, and AQP all have failed to hold my attention.

My stress comes from a weak IW having a negative impact on the greatness that are Avengers/TFA/TWS/CW.

What’s funny is that other than TLJ and Thor 3 I have been ragging on all my recent movies and even Thor 3 is just silly fun.

But JL, BP, Pacific Rim 2, RPO, and AQP all have failed to hold my attention.

My stress comes from the greatness that are Avengers/TFA/TWS/CW will be negatively impacted by a weak IW.

Well for better or worse in one week this massive 10 year end game will come to fruition! :thud:

saw has like 2 jump scares then, and both of them were real jump scares not fake ones

cabin in the woods couldnt rely on jump scares because whenever the group was gonna get scared you would cut to the guys in the control room.

how many fake jump scares did this have? where nothing bad happened but they added a jump scare even though the cause was something innocent? how many?

Well you did not specify fake jump scares or real ones.. My point in the beginning was that most horror films use some sort of Jump scare.. Real ones are good.. Fake ones are bad.. Will not disagree with that at all..

Well you did not specify fake jump scares or real ones.. My point in the beginning was that most horror films use some sort of Jump scare.. Real ones are good.. Fake ones are bad.. Will not disagree with that at all..

khev was talking about the over use of fake jump scares in this movie,

you still didnt answer the question, how many, fake jump scares, did this have

khev was talking about the over use of fake jump scares in this movie,

you still didnt answer the question, how many, fake jump scares, did this have

Oh I missed the question..

Khev could tell you better.. But I think the count is up to three.

But for the record.. Fake Jump scares do suck.. BUT if the majority of the film is done well I can ignore them and enjoy the film.. In my opinion this film had a couple of very good suspenseful scenes.. So I can forgive the silly stuff.

But sometimes "real" jump scares can suck also... Insidious has some good ones in the beginning but then had some bad ones in there also.. They don't always work.. Maybe I am thinking of the 2nd film.. I don't know they all run together.

Last edited:
Loved this movie. Intense and felt like an Aliens movie with Demogorgans. Well done!!!! Much better movie than boring Signs.

damn, I thought this film was about Forums after banning folks...I was dissapointed

Back