A Quiet Place

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they were trying to show how normal noise can be loud when noise has been eliminated from life.

But I get what you’re saying.

The stair scene was intense and my heart felt the ending but other than that **** AQP.

Those were the worst realized creatures ever lol

Signs had the right idea in staging the movie right at the outset of the alien invasion. That gave proper credibility to the characters figuring out the aliens' weakness before it could become widely known. Having AQP take place a year and a half after the entire world had fallen to the creatures when they were ultimately so easily defeated felt like the writers wanted to shoehorn a post-apocalyptic setting at all costs. Just say that the aliens came when Emily Blunt was pregnant and that the family was largely cut off from the outside world and had to fend for themselves (not unlike Signs.)

I guess AQP just hit too many of my pet peeves. I don't like an over-reliance on jump squares and definitely don't appreciate an over-reliance on "false" jump scares. The kids knocking over the lantern on the carpet and it sounding like a cannon on a battleship going off was just obnoxious IMO.

I found the lantern to be very natural to the situation. I actually thought (on one viewing) it was relatively light on fake out jump scares. The hand in the shower being the most egregious, I suppose the brother grabbing sister’s hand in the corn was another but I also buy that setup.

Signs had the right idea in staging the movie right at the outset of the alien invasion. That gave proper credibility to the characters figuring out the aliens' weakness before it could become widely known. Having AQP take place a year and a half after the entire world had fallen to the creatures when they were ultimately so easily defeated felt like the writers wanted to shoehorn a post-apocalyptic setting at all costs. Just say that the aliens came when Emily Blunt was pregnant and that the family was largely cut off from the outside world and had to fend for themselves (not unlike Signs.)

Both films are more about something else then the actual monsters..

Signs = Finding ones Faith
AQP = Family Love and doing whatever you can for you children.

Both made better with Monsters :lol

Both films are more about something else then the actual monsters..

Signs = Finding ones Faith
AQP = Family Love and doing whatever you can for you children.

True and I will say that my favorite scene in the movie was Krasinski's last exchange with his daughter. And on a side note I know very little about Krasinski on a personal level but he's always come across as a decent and likable guy so I'm glad that this movie is such a success for him.

Both made better with Monsters :lol

Speaking of that have you ever watched Gareth Edwards' first film "Monsters?" It was on Netflix for a really long time and might still be available. I thought it was really well done.

Ah you suck..

Well yeah there's that too. :lol

True and I will say that my favorite scene in the movie was Krasinski's last exchange with his daughter. And on a side note I know very little about Krasinski on a personal level but he's always come across as a decent and likable guy so I'm glad that this movie is such a success for him.

Agreed.

Speaking of that have you ever watched Gareth Edwards' first film "Monsters?" It was on Netflix for a really long time and might still be available. I thought it was really well done.

Yeah I watched that way back when before Gareth was Gareth..

I liked it also.. Wish the monsters looked a little less like Octopuses though :lol

Well yeah there's that too. :lol

PM sent again.

I found the lantern to be very natural to the situation. I actually thought (on one viewing) it was relatively light on fake out jump scares. The hand in the shower being the most egregious, I suppose the brother grabbing sister’s hand in the corn was another but I also buy that setup.

Yeah.. Hand on the shower. That was bad.. I don't recall any other ones.

I guess AQP just hit too many of my pet peeves. I don't like an over-reliance on jump squares and definitely don't appreciate an over-reliance on "false" jump scares. The kids knocking over the lantern on the carpet and it sounding like a cannon on a battleship going off was just obnoxious IMO.

Didn't you see the trailer for this before every film that came out for the last 5 months?? :lol

If you had the Lantern would not have bothered you because you would have had that scene ingrained into your memory.

Yeah.. Hand on the shower. That was bad.. I don't recall any other ones.

The screaming raccoons that fell off the roof (because yeah they do that in real life, lol) and the brother grabbing the sister's wrist in terrifying fashion. There were others but I lost track after a certain point.

I don't get a lot of raccoon exposure so I guess it works for me (possums on the other hand...). :lol

Anyhoo, having witnessed IMO the very last word in blowhard honky-gonna-tell-you about identity politics in film and casual anti-semitism in the SW threads, I will leave you, my few fine gentleman, with the recommendation that you check out The Monster (2016) if you share the sentiment that JAWS expressed and I second, that monsters make drama better. It ain't The Witch, but it ain't bad either.

:duff

No actually I had only seen one single trailer (before I, Tonya I believe?? lol) and all I remembered was the kid with the noisy shuttle toy.

That may have been the second trailer..

Man I saw the first one so may times.. I was starting to dislike the movie. :lol

I don't get a lot of raccoon exposure so I guess it works for me (possums on the other hand...). :lol

Anyhoo, having witnessed IMO the very last word in blowhard honky-gonna-tell-you about identity politics in film and casual anti-semitism in the SW threads, I will leave you, my few fine gentleman, with the recommendation that you check out The Monster (2016) if you share the sentiment that JAWS expressed and I second, that monsters make drama better. It ain't The Witch, but it ain't bad either.

:duff

The Monster was very good.. AQP had a lot in common with that one..

Good call :duff

The screaming raccoons that fell off the roof (because yeah they do that in real life, lol) and the brother grabbing the sister's wrist in terrifying fashion. There were others but I lost track after a certain point.

Raccoons did not bother me really.. But the brother grabbing the sisters hand was almost as bad as the had on the shower door.

Like I said in my PM.. I think I have just learned to accept the jump scare... Very few horror films not called "The Witch" don't use them. The film did not just rely on them so it gets bonus points from me.

I guess I have some additional forgiveness because I like the characters a lot.. I like the use of quiet and I liked the look / directing in the film.

i hate jump scares and i hate fake scares so im glad for your review

When they were raiding the local grocery store, perhaps they could have stopped by Bed, Bath and Beyond for blankets and towels. Didn't seem like they did much to deaden sounds in the house. I didn't expect to see sound insulating foam, but hanging blankets, towels, even throw rugs would go a long way to muffling any noise.

Back