A question about LOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brought it up before and I'll do it again...

The un-abridged readings of LOTR and The Sil by Robert Inglis are beyond wonderful. Especially for The Sil. Makes it much easier to follow and less confusing, IMO.

I love 'em. (Can ya tell?! lol)

I just checked those (Sil. BOT) out from my local library but I haven't had a chance to start listening yet. Its good to hear that they are so highly recomended. :)

I think that everyone should read the books before seeing the movies... Then it's easier to make a picture of your own how things looks etc.

Maby a little bit late now, but not just the Lord of the Rings, another great example is Harry Potter, The image I made in my head of Hogwarts and everything is in my humble opinion much better then the movies... It's seems to me that they didn't really read the books and made it true from that. It seems like they made things up!

Of course this isn't the case with PJ and The lord of the Rings, my imagination of ME is pretty similar to the ones in the films! PJ and WETA made a great work staying true to the books!

The films are remarkable in that sense; when I first saw the scene with Frodo and Boromir, in the woods with that giant statue, I nearly flipped--it was totally identical to what I had imagined, down to the face on the statue's head. It was really creepy, and so cool! PJ did a masterful job.

pixletwin said:
I just checked those (Sil. BOT) out from my local library but I haven't had a chance to start listening yet. Its good to hear that they are so highly recomended. :)

Very very cool! You will not be disappointed, I promise.
yes21.gif

KitFisto said:
I have seen the movies, but never read the books ( yet ). There is something I have always wondered.

The movie says in the begining that the rings of power were given to the Elves, Dwarfs and Men. I assume Sauron made these rings as well? Since he made the "master" ring I assume he made the all.

Second part of the questions is was it ever said in the books WHO actually presented the rings to the 3 races of Elves, Dwarf and Men?

Not sure this was covered off in total and have tired of reading all the thread.......

Sauron did not make the 3 elven rings. They were made in secret by Celebrimbor (an elf) in Eregion no doubt using some of the knowledge he had gained from Sauron when he was feigning friendship to the elves. The 3 Elven rings were kept by their owners; Galadriel, Elrond, Cirdan who later gave his to the newly arrived Gandalf (Olorin). When Sauron fashioned The One Ring they (the elves) sensed him seeking to control all the rings from afar and took them off never to wear them again in 'public' but to keep them secret. Sauron never knew where the 3 Elven rings were hidden although he may have suspected, especially the power that dwelt in Lothlorien.

The 7 Dwarven rings and 9 for the race of men were distributed to Lords of Dwarves and Kings of Men, in supposed friendship by Sauron. The dwarves proved too stuborn to be controled by His will so he (Sauron) regained all that he could and that had not been devoured by dragons (Thrain, Thorin's father was the last Dwarf to hold one of the seven).

The nine for mortal men doomed to die tell their own story................ringwraiths.

I decided to read the Silmarillion again yesterday just for kicks--what a great read! I should be done by later today. Maybe I'll just go through the whole series this week--and if I can save enough money, maybe I can get The Children of Hurin to read (though it's not exactly the most cheerful story).

Did I mention I love this thread.

Reading Caps posts are particularly informative.

More please:D

this thead is great...especially since i've set out to read the main 3 books and children of hurin.

btw what are all of the book of JRR that one should read?

I'm probably not one to talk; I've been reading the History of the Lord of the Rings and all of the supplementary texts. I just got a book full of critical essays on the series and it's fantastic! So yeah, I can answer questions and what not, but my suggestions concerning what to read can get a little heavy-handed. I'll be the first to admit, I'd recommend all you can get!

:cool:

I purchased these CD's a while back. They're great when traveling or when relaxing tired eyes. I read the four books many years back but I find Robert Inglis' voice very soothing...and exhilerating at the appropriate times. He truly knows how to tell a tale.

I just recently purchased the Silmarillion but have postponed reading it until I finish listening to the CD's. I definately need to refresh my memory. I tend to confuse the books w/the movies and vice versa.

GrueSam said:
I've brought it up before and I'll do it again...

The un-abridged readings of LOTR and The Sil by Robert Inglis are beyond wonderful. Especially for The Sil. Makes it much easier to follow and less confusing, IMO.

I love 'em. (Can ya tell?! lol)

Sorry to bump this back up, but I have another question. Please don't spoil it if there is an answer, but just let me know IF I will get one later in the book.

I don't understand the point of the Tom Bombadil chapter at all. Will there be anything later on this in the book? I don't understand how the ring seemed to have NO effect on him and why he didn't turn invisible when he put it on. It almost seemed to diminish the importance of the ring.

I am just to the "Prancing Pony" chapter.

KitFisto said:
...I don't understand the point of the Tom Bombadil chapter at all. Will there be anything later on this in the book? ...

Nope. You never see or hear from him again in any of the books.

pixletwin said:
Nope. You never see or hear from him again in any of the books.

Well then that whole chapter seems pointless. I guess the whole book can't be great. It just seemed to totally diminish the power of the ring.

KitFisto said:
Well then that whole chapter seems pointless. I guess the whole book can't be great. It just seemed to totally diminish the power of the ring.

At least its more plausible that a supernatural being may not be tempted by the ring.... Wait till you get to Faramir... :monkey1

Back