A question about LOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pixletwin said:
Ok all you Tolkien scholars I have a question:

As Aragorn's star rose in middle earth was Gandalfs power diminishing?

I'm in the middle of packing to spend the summer back home in California but had to answer here;

Gandalf never diminished in power, in fact it was perpetually growing, even at the last. Aragorn's rise as King of Gondor was merely the culmination of Gandalf's mission in Middle Earth. Gandalf's role was to lead the peoples of Middle Earth against Sauron and bring about the new age. The five istari, or wizards, were specifically sent to bring about that change, and they were to return to the Blessed Realm in the west when that task was completed. Gandalf successfully completed his mission, but did not diminish in authority nor power when Aragorn assumed the monarchy. He merely finished his mission and returned to his home, his stewardship fulfilled. Aragorn did not replace him either; Gandalf was the mover of events in Middle Earth while Aragorn was a ruler of Middle Earth. But yes, with Aragorn as king Gandalf's purpose was no longer neccessary, and he returned to his true home and nature in the West as commanded by the Valar.

Incidentally, this makes Saruman's death all the more tragic when you think of his mission. When he dies his spirit rises up as a mist and looks West, only to be blown away by a cold chill wind from the Western sea. You really do pity him in the end.

Captain Aldeggon said:

Incidentally, this makes Saruman's death all the more tragic when you think of his mission. When he dies his spirit rises up as a mist and looks West, only to be blown away by a cold chill wind from the Western sea. You really do pity him in the end.

Uhm . . .where exactly does it state that's what happens to Saruman's spirit???

Radagaster said:
Uhm . . .where exactly does it state that's what happens to Saruman's spirit???

Its in ROTK: Scouring of the Shire chapter. After Workmtongue is killed. (check yer bookie). :wave

pixletwin said:
Its in ROTK: Scouring of the Shire chapter. After Workmtongue is killed. (check yer bookie). :wave

i have a feeling when i get to LOTR, after i finish The Hobbit, it's going to open my eyes to a bigger Middle Earth/LOTR events.

Vader AL said:
i have a feeling when i get to LOTR, after i finish The Hobbit, it's going to open my eyes to a bigger Middle Earth/LOTR events.

It will. You'll find yourself doing hours of searches for ME Info.

I love this thread, I have only seen the movies and its great to get a better view of the events and characters in the movies!

More discussion please!

the books always add so much more depth to the movies, same with the book that was the prequel to ROTS as well as the book for ROTS. if you read the prequel to ROTS you knew why grievous was coughing....because of the bad-a$$ mo-fo Windu.

For those of you interested in learning about the major differences in Movies vs. the book check out the link. The encyclopedi of Arda is best source for anything Tolkien and it does a fantastic job at summerizing the changes made by Jackson.

https://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp
The left side of the page has the links about each movie/book!
MOVIE-GOER'S GUIDES
• The Fellowship of the Ring
• The Two Towers
• The Return of the King

carbo-fation said:
For those of you interested in learning about the major differences in Movies vs. the book check out the link. The encyclopedi of Arda is best source for anything Tolkien and it does a fantastic job at summerizing the changes made by Jackson.

https://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp
The left side of the page has the links about each movie/book!

Thanks carbo, I will check that out.

Yeah the books are pretty easy to get lost in. There are so many layers... Really I think you have to really enjoy history (period) to get into all the books.

pixletwin said:
... Really I think you have to really enjoy history (period) to get into all the books.

That's what I noticed amongst my friends. Those who've read the books and other Tolkien works are very much into history and the ones who haven't could careless about anything that happened NOT in their life time. I think everyone should read the LOTR books and then re-watch the movies.....it's a whole different experience. You get so much more out of the movies and names and places will seem all the more familiar and meaningful.:)

I am glad to see so many members of this board who are I believed, fans of movie collectibles, especially SS, before we will stumbled onto here, are also fans of Tolkien books.

I started with LOTR because I was captured by the amazing sculpturing work done by the artists in Weta. Now I wanted to know more about ME. Personally I will hope there will be more threads of this nature appearing.

Personally, I ditto with the opinion that PJ and Tolkien are both masters in their own media. Perhaps Tolkien will make a very bad filmmaker (please don't kill me over this - the keyword is PERHAPS), and vice versa.

Some of us might have overlooked that Prof Tolkien had lived in times that are very different from us, and his protray of the tale is very different. Perhaps too, we may find many films made in the 1950s, especially those of epic adventure type are not to our liking too?

Last but not least, it is a fact that Tolkien is the ONLY author who his life and works are studied professionally. (maybe a sweeping statement, but as far as I know, there isn't author who has/had this honour, is there?)

gtb said:
Last but not least, it is a fact that Tolkien is the ONLY author who his life and works are studied professionally. (maybe a sweeping statement, but as far as I know, there isn't author who has/had this honour, is there?)

I think William Shakespeare might object to that last statement... :)

crazytrain said:
I think William Shakespeare might object to that last statement... :)

You think you might got me on that... but pardon my ignorance, is there such a title as "Shakespeare Expert" or "Shakespeare scholar". I read from some of the documenmatries there are indeed Tolkien experts - it amazed me when I first learnt about this. Why should any authour be so important that his whole life should be studied become an academic pursuit. I agreed there are great writers throughout the ages - Shakespeare being one of them as you so adequately quoted - but is this man being STUDIED till that extend?

I would say there are "experts" on the lives of any number of great people (including Shakepeare). There experts on Mozart, John Lennon, Nixon, Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain, etc...

Well, I just finished reading The Hobbit. I really enjoyed it a great deal. I really enjoyed getting to know more about Bilbo and his adventure as well as getting to see a little more about the Dwarves, Elves and Gandalf.

I will be starting the Fellowship of the Ring soon.

KitFisto said:
Well, I just finished reading The Hobbit. I really enjoyed it a great deal. I really enjoyed getting to know more about Bilbo and his adventure as well as getting to see a little more about the Dwarves, Elves and Gandalf.

I will be starting the Fellowship of the Ring soon.

The Hobbit is one of my all time faves and in some ways rivals LOTR as far as impact its had on me.

Back