A question about LOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the Hobbit too, but the Lord of the Rings proper is still my favorite; few books offer the profundity and depth which Tolkien creates. Add that to the Silmarillion and all of the other texts and you have a veritable epic on your hands. When I first read the Silmarillion it was absolutely one of the most beautiful works I had ever read, and it remains one of my favorites. I must have read the trilogy and its accompanying works over a dozen times by now, and each time becomes more studious, and I note more and deeper information. So few books do that nowadays. Perhaps it's just my passion for literature, but somehow it's edifying to know more and more about Middle Earth; as it was intended to do, it broadens my perspective and strengthens my sense of morale. Talking about the books delights me to no end!

I agree that LOTR does rank higher than The Hobbit but for me it's somewhat close. Each time ya read these and other ME texts it does add to the depth and greatness of the workds.

Someone describe the grey havens to me in more detail(like what they are all about etc.) cause i'm lazy.(and also the brown wizard)

jlcmsu said:
I agree that LOTR does rank higher than The Hobbit but for me it's somewhat close. Each time ya read these and other ME texts it does add to the depth and greatness of the workds.

For me, it's all about the Silmarillion. I think that book is better than both LoTR and The Hobbit.

Seth Gecko said:
Someone describe the grey havens to me in more detail(like what they are all about etc.) cause i'm lazy.(and also the brown wizard)

Mithlond, the harbors of Círdan The Shipwright at the eastern end of the Gulf of Lhûn, from which the Elves of the north of Middle-earth passed into the West during the later Ages.

greyhavensxl8.gif

congerking said:
For me, it's all about the Silmarillion. I think that book is better than both LoTR and The Hobbit.

Not me. I've never been able to make it from cover 2 cover in the Sil. It's not bad but it doesn't hold a candle to LOTR or The Hobbit for me. Some of the Sil though is very good though.

I think the Silmarillion is every bit as great as LOTR, if not greater; Tolkien himself considered it his greatest work. He was working on it until his death and it covered nearly his entire literary career.

Radagast the Brown was one of the five wizards sent to move Middle Earth against Sauron. Saruman was particularly impatient with his simple nature; he accompanied him across the sea from Valinor and was especially close to birds and beasts, and "a master of shapes and hue" according to Gandalf. Saruman used him to capture Gandalf, but never bothered to try and turn him, not only because he did not esteem him to be of much worth, but as Gandalf said, he could never have won over "the honest Radagast." Though he unwittingly aided Saruman, he also unknowingly saved Gandalf, sending the eagles to look after him. While it is known that Gandalf successfully completed his task on Middle Earth, it's never mentioned if Radagast did, though likely he eventually returned to Valinor as did Gandalf before him.

He was sent by the Valar, in particular Yavanna, Valar of birds, beasts growing things. She insisted he accompany Saruman, then Curumo/Curunir, who had been sent by Aulë.

Captain Aldeggon said:
I think the Silmarillion is every bit as great as LOTR, if not greater; Tolkien himself considered it his greatest work. He was working on it until his death and it covered nearly his entire literary career.

That's cool. For me it ranks behind the other two. It is good but just not one of my fave among my Tolkien Lit.

Isn't that just the greatest thing? I love when people have different preferences, it adds so much to the discussion! I hope I can come to appreciate the Hobbit as much as you seem to!

what is the Silmarillion about? Does it involves the same characters as LOTR? Or is it a seperate adventure in middle earth involving a different story line and time?

Last edited:
KitFisto said:
what is the Silmarillion about? Does it involves the same characters as LOTR? Or is it a seperate adventur in middle earth involving a different story line and time?

It's basically the mythology of Middle Earth. It is a very difficult read. Get through the four books and read the appendicies after ROTK and don't worry too much about that for the time being.

The Silmarillion is, essentially, the creation story of Middle Earth. It involves the Valar, or the diety of ME, and many of the high elves, predating even Sauron or Elrond. Galadriel and Gil-Galad are themselves later characters in the epic; it spans thousands and thousands of years before LOTR ever takes place, and is in fact made of what were then only legends to the people of the Third Age.

It doesn't read like LOTR though; it's a very narrative form of writing, more like a historical poem with much more musicality. The ideas and concepts are much more profound, and in fact it reads much like a sacred or religious text. It's absolutely beautiful to read, and is incomparably gorgeous in its composition and form. Don't expect an adventure like the Hobbit; be ready for vast epics and sweeping events in the first two books. The third part tells about Sauron and Numenor, and is an excellent introduction to Isildur and Elrond, et cetera. The last part tells of the forging of the rings--essential to the story of LOTR. I recommend reading it with all the conviction I can muster!

Captain Aldeggon said:
The Silmarillion is, essentially, the creation story of Middle Earth. It involves the Valar, or the diety of ME, and many of the high elves, predating even Sauron or Elrond. Galadriel and Gil-Galad are themselves later characters in the epic; it spans thousands and thousands of years before LOTR ever takes place, and is in fact made of what were then only legends to the people of the Third Age.

It doesn't read like LOTR though; it's a very narrative form of writing, more like a historical poem with much more musicality. The ideas and concepts are much more profound, and in fact it reads much like a sacred or religious text. It's absolutely beautiful to read, and is incomparably gorgeous in its composition and form. Don't expect an adventure like the Hobbit; be ready for vast epics and sweeping events in the first two books. The third part tells about Sauron and Numenor, and is an excellent introduction to Isildur and Elrond, et cetera. The last part tells of the forging of the rings--essential to the story of LOTR. I recommend reading it with all the conviction I can muster!

Sounds very interesting. Once I get throught the LOTR novels I will have to give this a try. Thank you for the information.

Darth Loki said:
It's basically the mythology of Middle Earth. It is a very difficult read. Get through the four books and read the appendicies after ROTK and don't worry too much about that for the time being.

Agreed on finishing the LOTR first. I finished the Hobbit today and plan to begin Fellowship in the next day or two.

Captain Aldeggon said:
Isn't that just the greatest thing? I love when people have different preferences, it adds so much to the discussion! I hope I can come to appreciate the Hobbit as much as you seem to!

I agree. It does really. When hearing people like you who do like the Sil so much it makes me when I do go through it be able to be as into it as I do other pieces of ME text. The Hobbit is great and if someday you do really come to like it as much it will just put the cherry on top for you as a Tolkien/LOTR/ME Fan.

Essentially, yes. Tolkien basically says that the Valar are angels, and that Eru, also known as Iluvatar or simply The One, is essentially how the god of LOTR is known.

Back