A GREAT Interpretation of Snake Eyes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: This IS the Definitive Snake Eyes

I like it minus the goggles. I prefer the visor on Sideshows figure but the rest of the detailing is amazing really. Very well done.

It's nice, but not my favorite look for Snake Eyes. I prefer the Sideshow one honestly, but I guess I am a bit biased to the design.

It looks like they used a lot of the Sideshow parts to make this one.

:nono WRONG, sir.

You're obviously free to prefer whichever one you want, but the 1982 SE is actually quite bland compared to the much more distinct and visually interesting 85 version. Kind of like comparing most of the original green shirts to 1986 Hawk, Barbecue, Ripcord, Beach Head, etc.

All Joes from 82-86 were pretty much cool across the board, but there's a reason a lot of the early ones were retired from Joe media.

You're obviously free to prefer whichever one you want, but the 1982 SE is actually quite bland compared to the much more distinct and visually interesting 85 version. Kind of like comparing most of the original green shirts to 1986 Hawk, Barbecue, Ripcord, Beach Head, etc.

All Joes from 82-86 were pretty much cool across the board, but there's a reason a lot of the early ones were retired from Joe media.

82 SE IS the definitive SE. He was a Commando not a ninja poseur and didn't carry a sword and wear a silly medieval-looking visor. He was an expert in small arms and hand to hand combat and tactical covert ops.

82 SE IS the definitive SE. He was a Commando not a ninja poseur and didn't carry a sword and wear a silly medieval-looking visor. He was an expert in small arms and hand to hand combat and tactical covert ops.

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

And the reason the early "bland" military Joes were retired for new characters colored like Skittles is because most modern kids are dumb and unimaginative and require such over-the-top stimulation.

That's not a dig at anyone here. Just a general observation. Why else do you think they still make Batman figures in pink, purple and all other kinds of crazy colors and gadgets. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

I actually quit collecting Joe after '86 because they were giving us such unimaginative over-the-top retarded characters as:

fridge.jpg

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

And the reason the early "bland" military Joes were retired for new characters colored like Skittles is because most modern kids are dumb and unimaginative and require such over-the-top stimulation.

What are you talking about? When Hasbro turned the toys into neon Skittle-fests kids stopped buying and the line ended. Kids WANTED military Joes, just not ones that were bland.

Once again:

A firefighter and three guys in camo are hardly "over-the-top stimulation." Same goes for such visually imaginative and militaristic characters as Dusty, Alpine, Airborne, Flint, Firefly, etc. You act like there were no figures between the 1982 greenshirts and the Ecco Warriors of the 90's. Of course other characters of specifically non-militaristic flare such as Destro, Storm Shadow, Zartan, etc. are generally heralded as being some of the series greatest icons and your argument gets even more curious.

Last edited:

No, I'm saying that figures like Barbecue and Ripcord signified the beginning of the end. Once that Pandora's Box was opened it was all downhill from there, including Serpentor and the Cobra-La garbage.

In other words, G.I. JOE RAH actually started jumping the shark before some of you seem to want to remember. It was really only awesome for about 3-4 years. Same with the comics, which started to drop in quality around Issue 55. Even the cartoon was campy cheese, at best.

Taken from the original '82 filecard.
"Snake Eyes is proficent in 12 different unarmed fighting systems (Karate, Kung-Fu, Jujitsu) and is higly skilled in the use of edged weapons."

People tend to think there is a great debate over whether he is ninja or commando, when really it's both, at least the way Hamma wrote him. Snake Eyes was first and formost a commando throughout mostof the Marvel run, however once Storm Shadow reappeared in his world he went back to his ninja roots a little, taking on the sword and a new costume after the formation of Cobra Island. The commando bit never dropped off.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

I actually quit collecting Joe after '86 because they were giving us such unimaginative over-the-top retarded characters as:

fridge.jpg

Good Lord! The Fridge was as bad an addition as Sgt. Slaughter. Read his card.......

"Using the Fridge to train Joes is logical and practical..."
:lol

I truly HOPE that the Fridge is in the new Movie. :lol

Taken from the original '82 filecard.
"Snake Eyes is proficent in 12 different unarmed fighting systems (Karate, Kung-Fu, Jujitsu) and is higly skilled in the use of edged weapons."

People tend to think there is a great debate over whether he is ninja or commando, when really it's both, at least the way Hamma wrote him. Snake Eyes was first and formost a commando throughout mostof the Marvel run, however once Storm Shadow reappeared in his world he went back to his ninja roots a little, taking on the sword and a new costume after the formation of Cobra Island. The commando bit never dropped off.

But the '82 filecard never uses the term "Ninja" anywhere does it? And Hama didn't introduce the martial arts element to Snake-Eyes' character at all until Issue #21 of the comics (the legendary "Silent Interlude") and that was in 1984, 2 years after RAH debuted.

But the '82 filecard never uses the term "Ninja" anywhere does it? And Hama didn't introduce the martial arts element to Snake-Eyes' character at all until Issue #21 of the comics (the legendary "Silent Interlude") and that was in 1984, 2 years after RAH debuted.

Ugh... Snake Eyes is NOT a ninja. He's a commando trained in several martial arts INCLUDING ninjitsu (remember, his filecard is open ended in that area). The inclusion of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes past was great to flesh out the character, but whoever thinks that makes Snake Eyes a ninja needs to dive a little deeper and not just skim the surface.

EDIT: Khev does have a point though Irish. Cobra Commander, Destro, Zartan and the Dreadnoks were equally Skittle-ified. Upto and including Zartan's Smurfy sun allergy. Hell, let's not forget about Flash. He was one of the earlier ones and had bright red padding on his BDUs. :lol IMHO, I think the line was good even through the Iron Grenadiers and Headhunters but started failing with the Space Marines and that stupid ninja crap.

Last edited:

I don't disagree with that at all. Part of the appeal of JOE RAH was that bit of the fantasy element. They just started to go way too far with it. And, imho, characters like Grunt were always cooler and more realistic than stupid crap like Bazooka or Sgt. Slaughter.

I think most people agree that the real beginning of the end was Ninja Force, followed by the Eco Warriors and the Space Brigade, I even stopped reading the comic.

But the greatest era had characters like Shipwreck, Spirit, Wild Bill, Quick Kick, and they didn't look military at all.

Wasn't Sgt. Slaughter a WWF crossover? I don't remember being bothered by that as a kid at all. :lol

Would anyone like to see this rendition? This is the one I had as a kid, so it has always been a favorite.

secard.jpg

Back