A General Chat about Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After BD Iron Man, Tony and Arnie, a that is it for my preorders.

I will be placing an order for War Machine as soon as I can.
Undecided about Aldo who was no brainer but has kinda gone downhill for me with recent pics.

Not sure about Whiplash just yet. I will have to wait to see how much I like the character in the movie. Fine looking figure though I think.
Lighting up those whips would be crazy expensive surely?

Yeah I suppose it would be more expensive. Or if there was just some other look for them or a slight change of colour :dunno. That headsculpt is great as does everything else and its just the whips that bug me. If I did bite the bullet on it, what I would probably do is remove the electric bits if it can be done without damaging the figure, and just have is as though the whips are unlit or what have you. I would be happy with that, because theyellowy orange stuff would just bug me too much and prevent me from completely enjoying the figure

But like you, will depend on how much I like the character in the film

Also after seeing the film, will know if theres the *possibility* of a v2 whiplash, and if I prefer that design then would hold out.

How much I want whiplash will also depend on what other goodness Hot Toys is going to release... T1000, Avatar stuff, Black Widow, Predators etc.

With Aldo I like it. Not crazy about it, but I think thats more because I only liked the film, and not enough to spend over £100 on a figure from it

Hi.. I havent been chatting on this site for a long time but... I feel like HTs sculpts look more and more normal/neutral (expression wise). Take for example the John Connor and Wolverine sculpts...
Feels like they lack emotion and are just staring off into space or lack that 'famous pose' look... what do you think? MAybe its just me... hmmmm.....

Hi.. I havent been chatting on this site for a long time but... I feel like HTs sculpts look more and more normal/neutral (expression wise). Take for example the John Connor and Wolverine sculpts...
Feels like they lack emotion and are just staring off into space or lack that 'famous pose' look... what do you think? MAybe its just me... hmmmm.....

That is traditional for 1/6 figures. It's not like a statue which is frozen in time with a single pose and expression for all times. If I pose Connor charging into battle it would call for a very different expression than if he's giving a rousing speech to his troops. A neutral expression fits most any pose you'd put them in.

Or course the recent Aldo would have been best served with his famous expression, rather than the neutral one - but I think he's the exception. When there is a specific expression that is iconic for the character it would be good to have a 2nd head (like Leonidas) but I wouldn't have wanted the shouting head to be the only one for him - it doesn't work when he's just standing there poised for battle.

That is traditional for 1/6 figures. It's not like a statue which is frozen in time with a single pose and expression for all times. If I pose Connor charging into battle it would call for a very different expression than if he's giving a rousing speech to his troops. A neutral expression fits most any pose you'd put them in.

Or course the recent Aldo would have been best served with his famous expression, rather than the neutral one - but I think he's the exception. When there is a specific expression that is iconic for the character it would be good to have a 2nd head (like Leonidas) but I wouldn't have wanted the shouting head to be the only one for him - it doesn't work when he's just standing there poised for battle.

I would agree with all that. Plus I think it also a case of some faces simply working better static. John Connor for instance.
Not sure what other expression you could give him. :)

I think Perseus needs the Leonidas treatment, ie. two heads.

Havent seen Clash yet, I was looking forward to it so much that since hearing some dodgy reports about it I'm now half afraid to watch it :) Anyways point being I cant comment on Perseus but it seems to me that when HT do put a lot of expression into the HS a lot of people dont really like it, I saw a lot of complaints about the 2nd Leo sculpt and the Comedian. I don't really see that as a reason not to do it but I think its something that should be done on a 2nd sculpt rather than forcing a specific pose...

At first i was kinda hesitant about getting Leonidas....but after seeing the pics of it and reading the reviews..im hooked...so...order placed...i also ordered the war machine and IM mark IV.....as with most people..i dont know about whiplash.....lets just see

So guys, have there been any last minute changes of mind given the four new Iron Man 2 figures and now T2 Arnie is finally being shipped?

I have decided to hold out on Aldo Raine for a while as I think the IM2 stuff is cooler.
My hopes are that Aldo will still be around in a few months after I pay for the others.
I have my eyes on Marcus Wright too.

I wouldnt be suprised if Aldo was still around in a few months, especially since it wasnt that popular in Asia.

Really tempted to order mk IV, and cant wait to see black widow. Whiplash looks pretty cool at that convention, the whips dont look so bad there. The whips are the only downer for me on that one but it would be cool to have mkIV, WM, BW and Whiplash! Those would be the most I would get from Iron Man licence. I cant afford to have multiple versions of the same character

T-800 looks great. Now its the crappy wait until I get the dispatch notification. Then the even crappier wait until it arrives at my door.

Interested to see how Avatar is going to play out. Will only want Neytiri though.

Besides the ones I've listed there, the DX Batman and Joker are the only other ones I'm really wanting to pick up if can afford toat some point. Theres others that would like if I can manage it.

May not seem like many to some, but on a student loan budget, its a hell of alot :lol

The whips are getting so much flack lately that I cant imagine HT won't change them. Not too pushed on the other IM2 stuff war machine looks great but I dont like the mark IV design even in the movie...plus I think the fig is a little thin looking anyways, but each to their own!

Ordered the T-800 a few hours ago as soon as I saw the in hand pics! Its awesome beyond belief! :)

hi there....new to these boards aswell....but maaaaan...i cannot tell you how i have become a whore to HT...it started out with iron man Mark III aswell for me...'cept i got mine in december...and now i am on # 24...i pre ordered and paid in full for T2 Arnie, DX batman and Leonnidis...so that will prolly bring my tally up to 27...not to mention the side deals i got going on.....yeah...its only april...and i have no job...how is this happeneing you say?....i have NOOOOO clue...lol....did i mention i'm a student...?...i can't wait to land a job so that i can go after the hard to get figs like the avp predators and the elder pred from pred 2....i am a big movie fanatic and have always loved the transition into toys....but in this case...HT took it to another level with their products....anyways...rant is over...

Im gonna have to buy a 3rd detolf display case just for the ironman 2 line ...damn you hot toys!! Things might get easier when i learn how 2 go about selling stuff on ebay ..never sent a large package anywhere b4 ..so if i get into the hang of that it wont be so hard letting some of my figures go ..i hope.

Yup, after the Iron Man 2 stuff, I too will need another Ikea cabinate.
They are only 39 quid so it ain't too bad.

My art for Hot Toys deals are running out now so I think I'll sell off some other figures to fund Hot Toys.
My mental deal to myself was that no money from my bank account goes to Hot Toys. Only money from selling art, private commissions and selling other toys goes toward them.

I have some super rare 80's figures called Blackstar.
A full MIB set and I know they are worth a good coin. Would get at least three more for that.

I also have these cool Vinyl Ninja Gaiden statues that should allow me 2 more.

The only thing holding me back is the fear that Hot Toys are just a phase and I will tire of them in a few years.
I know myself well enough to know that I have not regretted selling anything ever (sold BMF Millennium Falcon last month).
I know it probably nonscence as I still buy Masters of the Universe.

Anybody else have these similar concerns?

May not seem like many to some, but on a student loan budget, its a hell of alot :lol

Oh jesus dude, you haven't made things easy on yourself have you?! :)

Anybody else have these similar concerns?

Big time. Burn out is part of every hobby and needs to be controlled and dealt with. For me, it's turned into having only 1 figure displayed on the shelf at a time and then rotating it out for another one in the collection every so often. When I had them all displayed, all I saw was cluttered toys (and I only have 6 or 7 :lol) so doing the rotation helped that and as a bonus it's a great way to appreciate every figure in your collection as it gets its spot in the sun.

One day, I'd like to display them all together again but it has to be done right for me. I'm not into detolfs, maybe something like robbiethepainter's display cases.

Thsi is one reason I want another Ikea detolfs, because they will get too cluttered toy looking and they need to be seen on their own.
One day, I'd like to display them all together again but it has to be done right for me. I'm not into detolfs, maybe something like robbiethepainter's display cases.

What are those like?

The only thing holding me back is the fear that Hot Toys are just a phase and I will tire of them in a few years.

Dude with the quality of hot toys figs getting better and better with each release do you really ever see yourself getting tired of them ..i know i wont ..and that scares the crap outa me!

Dude with the quality of hot toys figs getting better and better with each release do you really ever see yourself getting tired of them ..i know i wont ..and that scares the crap outa me!

Well probably not but you have just reminded me of the other practicle yet pointless concern. :lol

The reason I bring these points up is there are right now three or maybe even 5 hot toys I really want to put a preorder on and I'm sat here wondering weather to list the Ninja Gaiden stuff on ebay. One of them is a really nice figure with great boobs.
But I no nothing about the characters. Never played the game. Just bought em because I love the less anime looking Kotubokuyia stuff and I'm a sucker for warrior woman (still have an sealed Machiko that I am unsure of selling).

rachelng9lg.jpg

ayane-1.jpg

Serious problems for our times I know!! :)

There nice figs alright i can see why you would want to keep them, but i myself am trying to get out of the habit of buying figures i don't need ..i actually got the enterbay piccolo ..why i really have no idea but he is now packed up and ready 2 be sold on,atleast i posted the only video review of the figure so it was worth having 4 that i guess ..thinking about selling goemon also ..no clue as to what his character is like i have yet to see the film ..just bought him coz he looked cool ..but that novelty has since worn off with all the recent figure announcements of figures based on characters i do know of and do really like.

I tried digging up his thread Eamon but came up empty. Maybe someone else has it bookmarked? They were singular, glass or acrylic tubes that housed each figure - like someone else who had something similar but done better, with more space in the tubes and a finished top and bottom to them. Looked amazingly sharp.

One thing I've never understood is purchasing high ticket items that you don't have an attachment to - they just look cool or whatever. Unless you're strictly a connesuir of character or costume design, I can't wrap my head around it.

Back