A General Chat about Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a few requests for TV characters every now and again, I was gonna start a poll thread, but there are plenty of HT threads as it is (& Evilface would just troll me on it)

i myself think there aren't enough characters that i'd want a $200 figure of, or enough to start up a HT TV line, but then again HT only have two licenses and hardly any figured from their VGM line.

I'd only really get...

TOS Kirk
TOS Spock
TOS Bones
Deadwood - Swearengen
Deadwood - Bullock
NCIS - Gibbs

Star Trek would be my first choice and a great starting point. I dont think there'd be too much of a fight if that was their first major step into tv land. After that it gets dicey- the walking dead seems to be up there along with the six million dollar man, buck rogers, sons of anarchy, and about 5 others. Getting a consensous for #2 is tough.

TOS Spock
TOS Kirk

Don Johnson Sonny Crockett
Philip Michael Thomas Ricardo Tubbs
Edward James Olmos Lt. Castillo

Elisha Cuthbert as Kim Bauer

Adam West Batman
Burt Ward Robin

The Fonz

Jackson Bostwick as Shazam

Joanna Cameron as Isis
Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

Maren Jensen as Athena
Jane Seymour from Battlestar Galactica
Gil Gerard as Buck Rogers
Twiki with removable light up Dr. Theopolis
Erin Gray as Wilma Deering

Last edited:
I'm getting super pissed at Hot Toys, at the moment i just want the figures i ordered that were supposed to release last year, 90% of my HT order list is delayed and delayed again.

Instead of doing that they show off new licenses even though they have a backlog of licenses yet to start. WTF is going on with them :mad:

I'm getting super pissed at Hot Toys, at the moment i just want the figures i ordered that were supposed to release last year, 90% of my HT order list is delayed and delayed again.

Batman.jpg

U mad bro?:wave

Ive only got one figure on order, i'm kinda new, but how come they havent done green lantern yet? i just order the tron lightcycle, why has i pt been delayed?

Hot Toys has really developed a reputation over the past year or two as a company that promises the world but delivers on little of it. When I first started collecting them 4-5 years ago it was mainly clockwork from announcement to release date. Today it's a frack-n cr@p shoot as to if and when a figure gets released. Still love them mind you but there's definiately some tarnish on Hot Toys armor. :gah:

Ive only got one figure on order, i'm kinda new, but how come they havent done green lantern yet? i just order the tron lightcycle, why has i pt been delayed?

What happened to Green Lantern? If I remember correctly, Hot Toys announced the GL license eons ago. They have been silent on this since. :dunno

What happened to Green Lantern? If I remember correctly, Hot Toys announced the GL license eons ago. They have been silent on this since. :dunno

Hot Toys likes to snatch up licenses preemptively. Perhaps before one of their competitors like Enterbay or Medicom gets them. Either way, they seem to be pretty quick to pounce.

What ends up happening is one of the following:

1) Hot Toys gets "too bogged up" with their current products, typically pushing/developing figures for the "guaran-damn-teed" money-making lines (i.e. TDK, Iron Man, Aliens, Predators, etc.). hence why you see A LOT of reissues, redos, etc. from those lines.

2) The movie/TV/license turns out to be a bust. Either financially or critically and is easily forgotten or cast aside. This was sort of the case with Green Lantern. Hot Toys sees a lack of success with the movie which they believe translates as a lack of success with any potential products. The costs to develop and produce a figure could possibly outweigh any profits.

3) Hot Toys "waits" for the slow season/end of the license, especially if the license is not a successful one. Obviously the summer will be dominated by figures from The Avengers, TDKR, Amazing Spider-man, Prometheus, and perhaps a few straggler figures here and there. They might slowly work on a GL or another figure in the interim and release that during the winter or early the following year. But keep in mind if they sign a license and that license holds for five years, they have five years that they can either choose to sit on it, or do something with it.

4) They get licenses to keep them from competitors. Sad but true, companies will take a monopoly on licenses and hold them just to sit on them so no one else can take them. Typically because they do PLAN on doing something with it, but also to keep profits from any rivals.

The reality is that Green Lantern turned out below expectations. Yes, we all would love to have a Hal Jordan, or Sinestro, etc. but Hot Toys knows that the fans will wait and right now they're probably focusing 110% on the figure line-ups for the upcoming summer movies. Having both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Returns is a HUGE double-whammy for Hot Toys because they made A LOT of money reissuing different versions of Iron Man and re-releasing Batman and his villains numerous times. I'm pretty confident in saying they will probably be doing the same thing with these two movies. I'm sure the reality is that Hot Toys' staff is stretched and for right now, GL and some other licenses are on the back-burner but not forgotten.

Strike while the iron is HOT. It's funny how people assume, "well, they keep on acquiring licenses, it doesn't give 'em time to release, work on or finish the figures they announced."

How do you know that the head sculpts and costumes for those are not/ or are done?

It takes a lot to go into production et., and when a film like Green Lantern does not generate the buzz like Avengers or Batman, they'll get pushed back, especially if they want to coincide with the market and what's current.

They are also working hand in hand with Marvel and DC to acquire these likenesses, naming rights and so forth.

Same with people that whine about: "why doesnt HT make figures from 1980s characters..."

Because they are acquiring licenses that are probably much easier to get, is one. Two, they are catering to a market that is landing them millions and millions of dollars.

Would it be nice for them to revisit old school characters, maybe horror icons and so forth... ? Absolutely.

BUt they are a business, and they are doing a fine job of running it right now, considering there is always a small segment that will always whine about them getting, or not getting what they want.

Last time I check, these runs are selling out and doing very well in the 2ndary market.

Back