A fair price for a custom cabinet?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, and I mean FINALLY, got it done. Still need one more set of lights for the lower left side. It's too dark to really see much of Man-Thing or my Thing EX PF.
View attachment 51291View attachment 51292View attachment 51293

Great cabinet, congrats!

I recently found this custom made display case at a 2nd hand furniture store near me.
Its 7' tall, 52" wide, came with six 1/4" glass shelves.
solid oak, solid wood back, mirrored back, adjustable shelves.
fits all my PF color and SSE monsters & for now the Joker.
Cost was $299.00 Thought it was a great deal as I know what it costs to have a display case custom made.

Frames are way too thick, very distracting, can't see the item well.

I 'm going for a custom case. I 'd like your opinion or reference since I am a little puzzled on this:

if we take the following picture (just as a reference not the same project) I am thinking to go for the front side without the middle wooden or metalic (or whatever) frames... just full glass. What do you think? Wouldn't that be better for more "viewing space" of the statues ?

Then again, would it be too plain?

Do you have any pics for reference of display cases with statues with the front side full glass?

I am putting this pic of the ecxellent display case just as reference of the middle frames:

attachment.php

The problem with not including a center divider is that glass shelves cannot be that wide and still support the weight. Even at 27" wide and 1/4" thick glass, my shelves bow slightly. What you can do differently, however, is have there be some sort of center frame that still includes glass (on mine it's solid wood). The drawback might be sacrificing adjustable shelves, though.

I would recommend, if you do use glass shelves, going 3/8" thick. They'll be more expensive but also hold considerably more weight.

The problem with not including a center divider is that glass shelves cannot be that wide and still support the weight. Even at 27" wide and 1/4" thick glass, my shelves bow slightly. What you can do differently, however, is have there be some sort of center frame that still includes glass (on mine it's solid wood). The drawback might be sacrificing adjustable shelves, though.

I would recommend, if you do use glass shelves, going 3/8" thick. They'll be more expensive but also hold considerably more weight.

Thanks for your answer but I am a bit confused. Maybe I didn't describe it well but from what you wrote I understand that without the middle frame/divider of the doors of the case there will be a problem with the interior glass shelves? I originally meant the top-to-bottom middle frame of the front doors.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear if that is the case.

My custom will be 1 meter wide, 2 meters high and the adjustable interior glass shelves will be 1 centimeter thick. The carpenter told me that with this glass measurment it can even beare my own weight.

Well, I'm not sure my case works as a reference then. I mean, mine is considerably larger. It's more than 2 meters tall, and it's about 2 meters wide. Without that vertical center piece of wood, the structure wouldn't be as secure and the glass would be too large to support to weight of the statues. The wider you make the glass, the less it can hold. And once it gets past a certain width, the weight it can bear decreases dramatically. 1 centimeter thick sounds way too thin, honestly.

So, concerning that middle divider, it doesn't sound like you'll need any such thing because yours won't be as wide as mine. But again, even at 27" wide for each half on mine, the glass bows slightly under the weight of the statues.

Thanks for the input man. I honestly thought that yours had the frame only on the front doors lol. Hadn't realised that it was all the way inside divided to two sections. So I just mean if it is better to have the doors framed or go for full glass doors.

I made a mess with what I wanted to say lol

The doors on mine aren't framed. They're tempered glass, but due to their size we had a hard time finding the right hinges. It sounds like your door is going to be really big too, so be sure you know what hinges you want to use ahead of time. My builder built the overall frame without realizing what hinges would be necessary to hold the door. He found out after having built everything that the doors were too big to accommodate the type of hinges he designed the cabinet to have. Just make sure you have everything figured out and in writing ahead of time.

Back