A Detolf by any other name would smell as sweet

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Detolfs discontinued?

None of the local stores here in Ontario have ETA listed for new stock - this is not typical as many items will say when new stock is expected.

If it's a production/sourcing issue causing a temporary unavailability, this may, like in the past, last a few months. Plan accordingly.

Sold out at both of my area IKEA's (Philly) but we've seen this before and I bet they'll be back....no reason to stop selling something in such demand.

That's what they said about the Granas table!

Just got back from picking up some more detolfs at Ikea and I noticed the black is now divided into 2 boxes. The tan one was still in the older single box. 2 boxes each were much easier to load and unload.

They have been in 2 boxes here in Canada since last year at least according to Ikea.ca web site - it's a lot of glass to lift in a single box, both for risk of dropping and for packing safety.

I should have been keeping up with this thread :slap

I went to Ikea in Elizabeth, NJ yesterday and was shocked they didn't have any detolfs in stock and there were none in surrounding areas.
They also couldn't tell me when any would be in.

I emailed Ikea customer service and received the following response:
Hello Alan,

Thank you for your interest in IKEA. We are always happy to provide information on our products.

The Detolf cabinet is currently out of stock in IKEA Elizabeth and Paramus. This item is estimated to arrive in or about Feburary timeframe however, please be advised that delivery information is an estimate only. Our products are shipped from suppliers all over the world and delays are possible.
Please note that it is possible to check stock on a large quantity of our products online. Simply go to the product page of the item you want to check stock for and choose your local IKEA location, then click on the "Check Stock" button. Also if you have the article number or page & price of the item from the catalog, you can call your local IKEA store and use our automated stock check by phone.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope this information has been helpful. Thank you for selecting IKEA.

Best Regards,
Debra
IKEA Customer Care
IKEA US Contact Center

It might be awhile but at least they didn't say it was discontinued.

I noticed the other day that the Detolf is pictured and listed in the 2014 catalog, so it's unlikely this was a planned discontinuation. Looks like a lot of folks are gong to be Detolf-less for Christmas this year. ;)

I noticed the other day that the Detolf is pictured and listed in the 2014 catalog, so it's unlikely this was a planned discontinuation. Looks like a lot of folks are gong to be Detolf-less for Christmas this year. ;)

Even worse for me, after I've waited 2 years to re do my room finally had the money to have it re plastered etc and this happens so all my models are in boxes until I get some sort of display case :(

Craigslist for Detolf, you might find some and save a bunch of coin in the meantime.

Sold out and no prognosis on when it will be back in stock here in belgium, which is very worrying since my only detolf is basicaly full and I was planning to pick one up next week :/

They're out of stock of black/brown here in Vancouver... Does that mean once the 17 beech ones are gone, there'll be none left?

Latest word from someone here in this thread is that their local IKEA says new stock only after February.

Detolf's have been a pain in the *** to get lately. My local Ikea only got 29 of them in their last shipment.

I went with two Billy cases with glass doors and did a custom dust resistance job on them (cheap parts at home depot) and ditched the Detolf's altogether.

Even worse for me, after I've waited 2 years to re do my room finally had the money to have it re plastered etc and this happens so all my models are in boxes until I get some sort of display case :(

Go with Billy Cases. I just finished (2) white Billy's with glass doors and used weather stripping from Home Depot to fill gaps to make them dust resistant.

I think it came out pretty nice. I'll post in a few minutes.

Here are a few photos for this thread. I can move into a new thread for those that are interested with even more detailed descriptions and photos.

yam2.png

9owp.png

sv58.png

f5r6.png

zjqj.png

Do you have the interior and exterior WIDTHS of your specific Billy units?

Do you have the interior and exterior WIDTHS of your specific Billy units?

Not off hand, it's on the IKEA website.

I have more figures than this, for which Detolf's are ideal, but I have found that the Billy cabinets are fine.

I can't stand having the doors join in the middle effectively inducing a visual impairment, but it's cheaper than spending $700 per case (with shipping) for better alternatives.

I asked about the dimensions to check whether Tombo doors would fit - then you'd have horizontal splits that you might line up at shelf intervals.

Back