3D Printing 1/6 heads

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. Often the 3d printed version is just a prototype. It's cleaned up and cast. Then the casting has the final surfaces and textures finished. Then that is cast into a master. A master mold is made of that and then that mold is used to make to production pieces. Obviously there are dozen of other ways they can be done. But the above is the method most used in small to medium runs, that don't use factory machining.

What's the best 3D printer on the market for under $3K? I'm interested in picking up one.

I use a form 1+. I'm not sure how much detail you are looking for but here is a Serpentor headsculpt that I created in ZBrush and then printed on the Form 1 at 25 micron layers. I have no affiliation with Formlabs so please don't think I trying to sell you anything. My only recommendation is, if you aren't really good with ZBrush or another sculpting program invest in that before getting any printer.
_DSC3262.jpg
ZbrushScreen.jpg
_DSC3183.jpg

I forgot to say if anyone has a model that they wanted printed on a form 1 I have no problem donating my services to the cause. PM me.

I always been a fan of the Superboy TV series from the late 80's early 90's staring Gerrard Christopher. My dream is to sculpt the head myself since it was NEVER popular enough to get a 3rd party and the Flash from the early 90's is another dream I have.

I don't think I can pay 1000 dollars for a professional one....so next best method is one day to do it myself. I have a low end 3D printer...but haven not opened it for 2 years because I am in the process of moving.

Attachments

• Gerard Christopher 2.jpg
    Gerard Christopher 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • the_flash_1990_forblog.jpg
    the_flash_1990_forblog.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 0
I’ve printed a Westworld Man in Black on my resin printer and it came out amazing. I’ll be doing more sculpts when I get the chance.

I’ve done a lot of 1/6 scale items and they all look fantastic. Even coat buttons and coins etc.

I always been a fan of the Superboy TV series from the late 80's early 90's staring Gerrard Christopher. My dream is to sculpt the head myself since it was NEVER popular enough to get a 3rd party and the Flash from the early 90's is another dream I have.

I don't think I can pay 1000 dollars for a professional one....so next best method is one day to do it myself. I have a low end 3D printer...but haven not opened it for 2 years because I am in the process of moving.
Moving...for 2 years?

Getting the size right. I can scale the files, just never quite sure the right size for heads and I've seen conflicting measurements online. Even different stl files that claim to be scaled for 1/6 can be wildly different.
Every maker seems to use a different scale but claim they are 1:6. I think it comes down to your application. If you need a starting point, measure your own head and then divide by 6 or what ever your intended scale.

Every maker seems to use a different scale but claim they are 1:6. I think it comes down to your application. If you need a starting point, measure your own head and then divide by 6 or what ever your intended scale.
I didn;t know that there really is no standard. I see heads 1/6 scale and notice they are mostly different sizes. Makes sense use your own head, divide by 6.

I didn;t know that there really is no standard. I see heads 1/6 scale and notice they are mostly different sizes. Makes sense use your own head, divide by 6.
When I make stuff, and take the real item and diviyit by six. Super easy. But head sculpting is a different thing. Also bodies can vary a lot. Also people perceive actors and characters different than they may be in real life. Al Pacino is tiny. But you never see a figure of him scaled to his actual height.

Height is impossible.
So many actors list themselves taller than they are.
Then during movies, some may where high heels.
Then the camera angles may make them seem taller than they are as the movie intended.
It's hard to really represent height and scale.

Getting the size right. I can scale the files, just never quite sure the right size for heads and I've seen conflicting measurements online. Even different stl files that claim to be scaled for 1/6 can be wildly different.
You also have to allow for shrinkage. It varies between resins, some are better than others, but can range from 1-10%. Average is around 2-3%, but I've experienced much worse. Depends what you're printing.

I don't agree with an above comment about strength. Properly cured resin is very strong, especially when not hollow. I hollow mine out and am just careful. After all, why does strength matter? I'm not selling them, only posing. I'm not that ham-fisted. If you want to sell and make 100s, then sure, casting is the only way to go. We're talking one-offs here.

Resin printing is so cheap, I print a mockup @ 1/6 +2-5% and then put it on the figure. Live with it a while, then rescale and try again. The other cool thing is you can stretch or elongate the print, if it helps with accuracy.

Saw this thread. How time and printers have changed.... from filament to resin. 2k, 4k, 6k, 8k now 12k.I have been printing for some time under FB 1/6 Limited Head Sculpts Always wanted a wide variety of characters and now I can make them for myself and others to enjoy.

Saw this thread. How time and printers have changed.... from filament to resin. 2k, 4k, 6k, 8k now 12k.I have been printing for some time under FB 1/6 Limited Head Sculpts Always wanted a wide variety of characters and now I can make them for myself and others to enjoy.
I have to figure out what programs to use and go for it. SOmeone suggested I scan a 2d image if I want to 3D print a cast, or learn the programs to create a head from scratch and go for it.
I have some free time and might as well search for programs and learn to do it myself.

Back