360 or PS3??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i remember playing socom on it back in the day... wow that was a nightmare. they finally got some of the issues sorted out after a while. but considering how i had xbox live at the same time it was like day and night. i just like how it now has the vision that you can have video and voice chat with someone.

mfoga said:
I can say that this time they did it right, they are not going it alone. In the past Sony tried to do it on there own or charge huge anoumts of money to get in on the deal. If you look at it right now almost every Major Makers has backed Blu Ray. One scary thing I can see about HD-DVD is the fact the Hitachi helped Develop the format, but is now a Blu Ray Partner and are not going to make HD-DVD players at this time.

All that however makes no difference to me as far as a console I by them based on the games not the movies thay can play, that is just a bonus in my eyes.

Just out of curiosity where did you find this info? Everything I've read and seen has stated otherwise. Almost every major studio is backing HD-DVDs and downing the Blu-ray. I think Universal siding with HD was the final nail in the coffin for the Blu ray support.

Fox and Disney and Sony are Blu-ray only. Warner and Paramount are releasing on both formats. Dreamworks and New Line (LOTR!!!) have sided with HD-DVD, but have yet to release any titles. Universal is HD-DVD only. If HD-DVD sales continue to surpass Blu-ray, I can see Disney switching to both formats like Warner and Paramount, followed by Fox, and last of all, Sony. I see most studios eventually just releasing titles on both formats.

There is not a universal video game console--the same game title is released on Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 2, PSP, Game Cube, PC, etc. and nobody has a problem with it--even when some titles are exclusive to a certain console. If it works for video games with little to no confusion, it can work for movies. Maybe my grandma might try to get Halo 3 for Playstation, but most people know better. The same can be said of somebody trying to buy LOTR on Blu-ray, for example. We will just accept it--until they come out with a combo player that will play both HD-DVD and Blu-ray in the same machine.

i think from the start most of the studios were with sony and only recently did they start joining HD DVD. my preference is with HD because of New Line.

occulum said:
:eek: shows how big of a "gamer" I am. maybe thats why it was free. I never had any problems with it and it worked fine for me, but I only used it for a couple of games.
.. and since Ive never had an XBox, I guess since I dont know what Im missing, it doesnt look that bad to me. :D

I think it is because you don't know what you were missing. Xbox Live is a great service. Mainly the single sign-on. And it appears that at least the first batch of games with the PS3 will not have single sign on :(

from https://www.gamesindustry.biz :
This week, some of our deepest fears about Sony's online service were confirmed when Insomniac's Ted Price revealed in an interview that one of the biggest launch titles for the console, Resistance: Fall of Man, is set to use its own buddy list, clan registry, in-game messaging and chat services, and so on. While the game sounds like it has a very extensive and comprehensive range of online gaming options, and it runs on Sony's international network of servers to guarantee a high standard of network performance for online play, the simple fact is that the last hurdle Sony needed to jump has been missed, at least for the launch titles. The central buddy list doesn't integrate into the game; you'll need to add all your friends again to play against them in Resistance.

The ball, in other words, has not so much been dropped; it has been hurled at the ground with alarming force. Sony has done the hard work - it has built a console operating system which can be updated over the network, which is always-on and network aware, which can handle multiple user profiles and friend lists, messaging and chat, and so on. It has built an infrastructure which can support multiplayer games running on remote servers with players all over the world taking part. Somehow, however, it has failed to take the final step - actually providing the single sign-in, single-ID, single profile service which lies at the core of a console multiplayer offering.

I hope Sony will get this figured out. It is so nice having just one name/userid for any game on the system. It makes it so much easier to invite friends to any game via one centralized buddy system. You can also see what your friends are playing, and join them if like. Another nice feature is when you are in media center, you can still be invited to games or what not, and see when your friends log in and all.

As for me, the 360 wins at the moment. Sony may get 500,000 units out this holiday, but Microsoft has 6 million 360's already out. This of course can change in a year or two.

I am really looking forward to the Wii though. I may not play SNES/TG16 games as others are looking forward too (there are ways to do this currently, and I still own a SNES/TurboDuo/Genesis, though they are gathering a lot of dust) As someone else said in this thread in regards to Arcade games on XBox live, the nostalgia wears off quickly, and it may prove to be the same with the downloadable old console games.

It is Wii games that look interesting. I just hope the controller holds up and doesn't wear thin after awhile.

Again, thanks for all the insight guys. You really helped out.

I think I'm going to tell the wife to go with the 360 with the notion that when the PS3 is more widely available and if I deem it a better choice for me personally that I'll make the switch.

Crash1207 said:

I think I'm going to tell the wife to go with the 360 with the notion that when the PS3 is more widely available and if I deem it a better choice for me personally that I'll make the switch.

IMO it's the right move for now. But don't forget to ger a Wii :D

Crash1207 said:

A wise choice.

tomandshell said:
Amazon has now completely sold out of their initial allocation of the HD-DVD drive for the 360.
Tom you think Costco will get this? I wonder what they might bundle together.

i am a huge videogame fanatic. 3/4 of my life have been devoted to videogames and i have had all of the systems ever produced. i love the 360 to death, especially because some great games are coming out soon for the system such as Gears of War, Halo 3 and of course splinter cell, but my money is on the PS3 for a ton of reasons, this system has it all and despite the comments about how pricey it is, just remember the 360 was only one hundred dollars cheaper and thats with any HD DVD player that microsoft is now so kindly giving to us for another two hundres dollars. the PS3 has nothing but state of the art technology inside of its beautifully presented frame. the PS3 can play PS1, PS2, DVD, HD DVD, BLURAY, CD, MP3 and every memory card you can throw at it. the PS3 is also slot load, which means nomore move sliding trays to me accidentlly broken. and here is the classy part, every button on the PS3 is touch sensitive. one more thing that the PS3 will have over the 360 is that the PS3 will be bone chillingly quiet. sound test have shown that the PS3 registers way under the 20 db mark. dont get me wrong i love my 360 to death, but my PS3 is going to blow the doors off of the competition. VIVA LA PLAYSTATION 3......

sonolimy said:
but my PS3 is going to blow the doors off of the competition. VIVA LA PLAYSTATION 3......

not likely and my 360 isnt that loud. and i cant hear it until i pause the game or have the sound turned down.

Eh, looks like I've got a good chance to drop all my feelings in here, so here goes.

The PS3 is sadly was pretty much soley made for people who really want a crazy gaming experience and are proabably willing to invest into things like a really nice TV. Sure, the PS3 is too damn much for a sole gaming console, but it's a GOOD price for people who are going to utilize it to the max. I say, if you're not going to go the extra mile and buy nice TV's n' such, you should probably stay away since you would probably not get your money's worth (unless the games that come along in the future are truly worth it, which may happen.) IF you do have a crazy cool TV and the like, you should certainly consider the PS3

Now anybody who takes shots at the PS3 because they think the exclusive realase titlesare not too good, poo on you.. Everybody knows that consoles NEVER have good release titles for consoles. The last GOOD realease game for a console was like 10 freaking years with Super Mario 64. Perfect Dark Zero was so hyped up as to be like the best game ever. It turned out to not be a dissapointment not because it was overhyped, but because it just flat out did suck. But hey, look at the 360 lineup now. Though I don't have a 360 of care for one, I will not deny that it has a lot of awesome stuff coming out for it. Also, you cannot take shots like, "PS3 boasted to have the best graphics on any console, but they look only as good as a 360 game." They PS3 games coming out soon look like the average game the 360 is putting out now, excluding super nice looking stuff like Gears of War. Fact is, Sony was crazy and didn't give out the development kits to make PS3 games until a few months ago. Developers just had to make wild guesses about what they though they needed and just adapted when the dev kits came. In other words you can say that the games the PS3 has coming out a realease are fairly rushed. All in all, I'm just saying that the PS3 has loads of potential in putting incredibly awesome graphics. Of course, it always depends on developers and how much work they wanna put into their games. So, think about how good the games of companies that put ages of work into their games will be. Games like Metal Gear I'm failry sure are going to be the ultimate example of what the PS3 can do. I'm just saying, you cannot judge a console by release games, ever.

All I can say about choosing about a console is that only time will tell. Until then, just make up your own mind. I'm not taking shots at ANY of you people in here when I say this, but I certainly have met people to be biased in my life. Hell, I may just have done it myself, and probably did. IF we drop a load of money on something, we always gotta justify it. A lot of people in here reccomend a 360 because they own one. They're not gonna be a crazy person and buy one thing, and then reccomend someone to buy the other. You, my friend, must do your OWN research and decide what you want. Things like exclusive titles are and the like are what you should be looking at. Do you have a awesome TV? Yeah, things like that.

Do as you wish, and let the berating on me begin for reccomending a PS3.

360 because of XBox Live.

And remember that new isn't always better for consoles, it's who got the head start.

I initailly was set on a PS3 but after looking around i think I'm gonna settle for a 360 as PS3 has not very many exclusive titles and the very fact that sony are already developing PS4 shows you that Sony don't have much confidence in this machine either.
Their decision to ignore the european market until march at the earliest will backfire on Sony massively

Back